You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: BUMBLEFOOT Says Waiting For A New GUNS N' ROSES Album To Get Done Is '

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't think you really have to wonder at all...if anything the reasons why have been beaten to death.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I dunno - I'm not sure the real reason has ever been uncovered.

I mean people give you an "Axl's nuts" answer - but - from 1987-1991 he put out 4 albums worth of songs - despite being "nuts" then with his wives and the tour dramas and all that bullshit. So what - he got more nuts in 2004 than he was in 1994? Doesn't seem right to me.

Axl seemed to say that Slash/Duff damaged his confidence is song writing...which is an interesting idea...regardless of blame it's interesting he admitted there's been issues on that front. But I'd be curious to know what else the problems are.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I mean people give you an "Axl's nuts" answer - but - from 1987-1991 he put out 4 albums worth of songs - despite being "nuts" then with his wives and the tour dramas and all that bullshit. So what - he got more nuts in 2004 than he was in 1994? Doesn't seem right to me.

Axl seemed to say that Slash/Duff damaged his confidence is song writing...which is an interesting idea...regardless of blame it's interesting he admitted there's been issues on that front. But I'd be curious to know what else the problems are.

As Buzz said, this topic has been beaten to death but what the hell else do we have to discuss.  I think the overall excuse would be the lack of drive and determination.  When GNR first hit the scene they were out to make a name for themselves and they became one of the biggest bands in the world at the time.  Too much success too soon seemed to derail things a bit, leading to the breakup.  Now you would think, and I do, that Axl would have been determined to prove he could succeed with an entire new lineup of GNR.  I do think he had that drive in the beginning, at least in some aspects.  Maybe not as strong as it was in the early days, but his pride was still on the line.  But when things began to fall apart and members started leaving it was almost as if a defeatist attitude was adopted.  Couple that with the legal issues and problems with the record company, it all adds up to not being able to or not wanting to release new music. 

At least, that's my take on the situation.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

As Buzz said, this topic has been beaten to death but what the hell else do we have to discuss.  I think the overall excuse would be the lack of drive and determination.  When GNR first hit the scene they were out to make a name for themselves and they became one of the biggest bands in the world at the time.  Too much success too soon seemed to derail things a bit, leading to the breakup.  Now you would think, and I do, that Axl would have been determined to prove he could succeed with an entire new lineup of GNR.  I do think he had that drive in the beginning, at least in some aspects.  Maybe not as strong as it was in the early days, but his pride was still on the line.  But when things began to fall apart and members started leaving it was almost as if a defeatist attitude was adopted.  Couple that with the legal issues and problems with the record company, it all adds up to not being able to or not wanting to release new music. 

At least, that's my take on the situation.

I think that's a lot of it.  I also think he was being somewhat honest in his reference to Slash (specifically) and Duff...not so much that it damaged his confidence per se, but he had a winning formula that inspired him and he lost all of it (Izzy too).  I don't think Slash and Duff were writing all-time great songs by themselves, but they brought something to the songs Axl had that made them special and Axl brought something to Slash and Duff's ideas that made them special.  He can't recreate it and for whatever reason nobody else has inspired him to the point that he was in the past.  Some of that could stem from general frustration about everything that has happened the past 20 years...I mean I have to believe if we're disappointed that somewhere deep inside Axl is too even if he'd never admit it.  I think in many ways it all circles together; then you add in his fluctuating mental state and it's a recipe for the disaster (relatively speaking) that we have now.

Here's the part I struggle with: if he likes the new(est) band so much (and it sure seems like he does), why can't he overcome the lack of confidence or whatever it is to come up with new material?  I understand that there are challenges with the record company, but if he drops a killer modern rock album with a GnR flare to it on them, they're going to release it eventually.  If he wants to create and the record company is the issue, dissolve GnR and write some stuff with DJ or whoever and release it as a solo album.  There are just parts of what he claims that just don't add up.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Liking the guys personally and liking the music they write are two very different things. He might click with them on a friendship level, but musically? I'm not convinced.

I'm not 100% certain Ron actually likes the New (CD era) GNR stuff...Or old GN'R stuff, for that matter.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Based on some of the stuff i've seen/heard Ron say, I don't think he's that big of a fan of the new stuff honestly. I personally think he does enjoy the older stuff.

I think it just boils right down to Ron (and DJ for that matter) just enjoying that timeless classic rock style of the old band. I think the new stuff has gotten to a point for me, that it's totally disjointing to hear it, even currently in live shows. Stuff like This I Love or Catcher or Sorry you can get away with, but the rockers -- man they sound SO dated. Opening with Chinese and having Shackler's, it sounds like a different band.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

You say "your man" is trying. I say "my man" is succeeding.

14 I think Slash is succeeding just fine.  Don't try and act like Axl has delieverd more to you than Slash ahs to me.  "your man" is doing anything but succeeding.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Generally true, but that doesn't mean there aren't some stark differences. I went through some of the top VR songs and while there are many positive comments you don't hear any "this is genius". On Axl's songs that phrase is fairly regular. Axl also still has a huge amount of people saying "this is not gnr", so he's actually got a fair bit of negative comments (though not very much about the actual music). People lauding his lyrical abilities is also something that is almost or totally absent from any VR song. In general the VR comments are more even. Not many extremes.

Likely to piss people off but i think Axl has a lot more fans than most who are apologists and insecure defenders. they pump Axl's tires and exagerate his genius based on the conflict and divison. Axl is thier guy and they've sided with him so they make it out like he can do no wrong. Maybe it's the genius of the music but I'more inclined to believe most comments regarding Axl are troll comments made in retaliation to people saying he's not that good anymore. Take the negative Axl comments and the postive Axl comments and meet in the middle. Gn'R(Axl) have fucked up fans and I'm sure as shit not taking youtube comments as something that suggests Axl's music is more importnat to his fans than other artist's music is to their fans. 

polluxlm wrote:

Definitely not the music in your case, but you're certainly touched by Axl the man. I'd say the amount of time one chooses to spend on a particular thing says a lot about how much you care for it. If you want drama there's plenty of it to be found but ultimately you like the rest of us spend the majority of that time on Axl. There's a reason I'm not overly interested in knowing what's going on with say Keith Richards or John Lennon. While being in two of my favorite bands their music have not moved me in the necessary degree. That coupled with the drama makes for a powerful combination.

I`m not touched by Axl the man. I think he`s a douche. It`s no secret how I feel. As a musician he WAS amazing. I think he has potential now but that`s it. I post here more so cause ìt`s a topic that`s been going on for 10 years and the members here I`ve ``known` for 7+ years.  I know as much or more about the guys in U2 than i do Axl. Or Robert Smith and The Cure or David Usher and Moist. Difference is I don`t need to discuss them daily to find out what`s going on. they make music and that`s it. Axl`s appeal is the car crash.

polluxlm wrote:

It is if the end product suffer as a consequence. I'd rather eat at a restaurant once a week than Micky Ds every day. If 1 album in 20 years is what it is I'll take it. I'm paying for a unique product not a regular service..

I love McDonalds. I`ll gladly pay for something I love on a  regular basis than starve to death and pay for somthing once ever 2 decades just because it`s unique. Once again you`re making it sound like Slash`s stuff is assembly line shit while Axl`s is a delaacy that is above and beyond anything on the market. 

polluxlm wrote:

If you prefer the no nonsense approach of AFD I'll agree that Slash usually accomplishes that, but in no way does that mean Axl is more replaceable. The sheer uniqueness of his instrument attest to that. If GN'R was your favorite band you'd see that no problem.

If Gn`R was your favourite band you`d realize how irreplaceable Slash is and you`d also see that in 2013 Slash embodies the Gn`R sound much more than Mickey Mouse.  At this stage Slash can bring the Gn`R sound, feel, syle and attitude much more so than Axl can. If Gn`R was your favourite band you`d see that no problem.  And yeah I do prefer a no nonsense approach. Axl and CD are pure nonsense.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Bono wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Generally true, but that doesn't mean there aren't some stark differences. I went through some of the top VR songs and while there are many positive comments you don't hear any "this is genius". On Axl's songs that phrase is fairly regular. Axl also still has a huge amount of people saying "this is not gnr", so he's actually got a fair bit of negative comments (though not very much about the actual music). People lauding his lyrical abilities is also something that is almost or totally absent from any VR song. In general the VR comments are more even. Not many extremes.

Likely to piss people off but i think Axl has a lot more fans than most who are apologists and insecure defenders. they pump Axl's tires and exagerate his genius based on the conflict and divison. Axl is thier guy and they've sided with him so they make it out like he can do no wrong. Maybe it's the genius of the music but I'more inclined to believe most comments regarding Axl are troll comments made in retaliation to people saying he's not that good anymore. Take the negative Axl comments and the postive Axl comments and meet in the middle. Gn'R(Axl) have fucked up fans and I'm sure as shit not taking youtube comments as something that suggests Axl's music is more importnat to his fans than other artist's music is to their fans. 

polluxlm wrote:

Definitely not the music in your case, but you're certainly touched by Axl the man. I'd say the amount of time one chooses to spend on a particular thing says a lot about how much you care for it. If you want drama there's plenty of it to be found but ultimately you like the rest of us spend the majority of that time on Axl. There's a reason I'm not overly interested in knowing what's going on with say Keith Richards or John Lennon. While being in two of my favorite bands their music have not moved me in the necessary degree. That coupled with the drama makes for a powerful combination.

I`m not touched by Axl the man. I think he`s a douche. It`s no secret how I feel. As a musician he WAS amazing. I think he has potential now but that`s it. I post here more so cause ìt`s a topic that`s been going on for 10 years and the members here I`ve ``known` for 7+ years.  I know as much or more about the guys in U2 than i do Axl. Or Robert Smith and The Cure or David Usher and Moist. Difference is I don`t need to discuss them daily to find out what`s going on. they make music and that`s it. Axl`s appeal is the car crash.

polluxlm wrote:

It is if the end product suffer as a consequence. I'd rather eat at a restaurant once a week than Micky Ds every day. If 1 album in 20 years is what it is I'll take it. I'm paying for a unique product not a regular service..

I love McDonalds. I`ll gladly pay for something I love on a  regular basis than starve to death and pay for somthing once ever 2 decades just because it`s unique. Once again you`re making it sound like Slash`s stuff is assembly line shit while Axl`s is a delaacy that is above and beyond anything on the market. 

polluxlm wrote:

If you prefer the no nonsense approach of AFD I'll agree that Slash usually accomplishes that, but in no way does that mean Axl is more replaceable. The sheer uniqueness of his instrument attest to that. If GN'R was your favorite band you'd see that no problem.

If Gn`R was your favourite band you`d realize how irreplaceable Slash is and you`d also see that in 2013 Slash embodies the Gn`R sound much more than Mickey Mouse.  At this stage Slash can bring the Gn`R sound, feel, syle and attitude much more so than Axl can. If Gn`R was your favourite band you`d see that no problem.  And yeah I do prefer a no nonsense approach. Axl and CD are pure nonsense.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Bono wrote:

No shit! Axl and his feeble minded fan base! Man, how you're not a conspiracy theorist is what I'm wondering.

Your inclination is wrong. I know a troll comment when I see one. What? Is it suddenly so hard to believe there are (still) people out there calling one of the greatest front men in history a genius? Slash gets that too you know, only not so much (usually at all) on his post guns work.

I could easily flip that around and say those comments (and the general nature of the fanbase) proves Slash's fans have a large degree of delusionals whom choose to pump his tires to justify to themselves his decision to abandon and ruin their beloved band. That might strike a tone too.

Is he more important than other artists? No, to each his own. But while I see, not many but quite a few, hold CD as a cherished and unique album I don't really see a lot of that with any VR or Snakepit projects. I mean Stones, Aerosmith and all those dudes did that shit better a long time ago. Slash did too. I have no doubt people find them very enjoyable but I don't think many would hold them among their favorites. I simply don't see the evidence of that kind of dedication, expect when used as fuel in a debate about Axl.

It's not. Still you gotta appreciate the possibility we're not all like that. Many actually think his voice and music is quite unique and enjoyable.

Alright pretend it's something else, something you wouldn't like. Like if Axl had a burger chain. 15

That's the point, I'm not starving. My nourishment does not depend on a special Axl Rose double bacon, cooked just right for 20 years. There are plenty of meals. In the meantime I'm still anticipating Axl's well cooked burger more than a hot dog from 1995.

Everybody's replaceable. Why else are we here? Does it replace the sound? No, but that doesn't mean other incarnations can't make good music. Even Slash might go on to do great things if he ever found another partner like Axl.

Because you hear the guitar more often than you do vocals? That's why he does it better? Axl still does the voice of Guns N' Roses. That's like, a pretty big part of the sound. If you absolutely want to hold his live performance against him that's hardly fair considering his instrument ages with him while Slash' doesn't. His actually improves as he becomes more technically proficient. In the studio however they bring an equal amount of GN'R sound.

But when it comes to songwriting there is no contest. Axl's songs are far more advanced and varied musically, lyrically and structurally. If that's not how you prefer things that's all well and dandy, but that was part of their music from the beginning. I can still hear that aspect of GN'R with Axl, I don't hear it with the other dude.

Board footer