You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: BUMBLEFOOT Says Waiting For A New GUNS N' ROSES Album To Get Done Is '

polluxlm wrote:
Bono wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

You say "your man" is trying. I say "my man" is succeeding.

14 I think Slash is succeeding just fine.  Don't try and act like Axl has delieverd more to you than Slash ahs to me.  "your man" is doing anything but succeeding.

I'm not acting anything, I'm quoting you. That's how you feel about your man. I don't about mine.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Bono wrote:

Likely to piss people off but i think Axl has a lot more fans than most who are apologists and insecure defenders. they pump Axl's tires and exagerate his genius based on the conflict and divison. Axl is thier guy and they've sided with him so they make it out like he can do no wrong. Maybe it's the genius of the music but I'more inclined to believe most comments regarding Axl are troll comments made in retaliation to people saying he's not that good anymore. Take the negative Axl comments and the postive Axl comments and meet in the middle. Gn'R(Axl) have fucked up fans and I'm sure as shit not taking youtube comments as something that suggests Axl's music is more importnat to his fans than other artist's music is to their fans.

No shit! Axl and his feeble minded fan base! Man, how you're not a conspiracy theorist is what I'm wondering.

Your inclination is wrong. I know a troll comment when I see one. What? Is it suddenly so hard to believe there are (still) people out there calling one of the greatest front men in history a genius? Slash gets that too you know, only not so much (usually at all) on his post guns work.

I could easily flip that around and say those comments (and the general nature of the fanbase) proves Slash's fans have a large degree of delusionals whom choose to pump his tires to justify to themselves his decision to abandon and ruin their beloved band. That might strike a tone too.

Is he more important than other artists? No, to each his own. But while I see, not many but quite a few, hold CD as a cherished and unique album I don't really see a lot of that with any VR or Snakepit projects. I mean Stones, Aerosmith and all those dudes did that shit better a long time ago. Slash did too. I have no doubt people find them very enjoyable but I don't think many would hold them among their favorites. I simply don't see the evidence of that kind of dedication, expect when used as fuel in a debate about Axl.

I`m not touched by Axl the man. I think he`s a douche. It`s no secret how I feel. As a musician he WAS amazing. I think he has potential now but that`s it. I post here more so cause ìt`s a topic that`s been going on for 10 years and the members here I`ve ``known` for 7+ years.  I know as much or more about the guys in U2 than i do Axl. Or Robert Smith and The Cure or David Usher and Moist. Difference is I don`t need to discuss them daily to find out what`s going on. they make music and that`s it. Axl`s appeal is the car crash.

It's not. Still you gotta appreciate the possibility we're not all like that. Many actually think his voice and music is quite unique and enjoyable.

I love McDonalds. I`ll gladly pay for something I love on a  regular basis than starve to death and pay for somthing once ever 2 decades just because it`s unique. Once again you`re making it sound like Slash`s stuff is assembly line shit while Axl`s is a delaacy that is above and beyond anything on the market.

Alright pretend it's something else, something you wouldn't like. Like if Axl had a burger chain. 15

That's the point, I'm not starving. My nourishment does not depend on a special Axl Rose double bacon, cooked just right for 20 years. There are plenty of meals. In the meantime I'm still anticipating Axl's well cooked burger more than a hot dog from 1995.

If Gn`R was your favourite band you`d realize how irreplaceable Slash is and you`d also see that in 2013 Slash embodies the Gn`R sound much more than Mickey Mouse.  At this stage Slash can bring the Gn`R sound, feel, syle and attitude much more so than Axl can. If Gn`R was your favourite band you`d see that no problem.  And yeah I do prefer a no nonsense approach. Axl and CD are pure nonsense.

Everybody's replaceable. Why else are we here? Does it replace the sound? No, but that doesn't mean other incarnations can't make good music. Even Slash might go on to do great things if he ever found another partner like Axl.

Because you hear the guitar more often than you do vocals? That's why he does it better? Axl still does the voice of Guns N' Roses. That's like, a pretty big part of the sound. If you absolutely want to hold his live performance against him that's hardly fair considering his instrument ages with him while Slash' doesn't. His actually improves as he becomes more technically proficient. In the studio however they bring an equal amount of GN'R sound.

But when it comes to songwriting there is no contest. Axl's songs are far more advanced and varied musically, lyrically and structurally. If that's not how you prefer things that's all well and dandy, but that was part of their music from the beginning. I can still hear that aspect of GN'R with Axl, I don't hear it with the other dude.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

But when it comes to songwriting there is no contest. Axl's songs are far more advanced and varied musically, lyrically and structurally. If that's not how you prefer things that's all well and dandy, but that was part of their music from the beginning. I can still hear that aspect of GN'R with Axl, I don't hear it with the other dude.

I love Axl's songwriting, but the point of this very thread is that you DON'T still hear that aspect with Axl's songs and you likely WON'T for the foreseeable future - not because it isn't there but because he doesn't release anything.

He's given us 15 songs in 20 years and the newest of those is almost 5 years old.

As for the other part of the comment...just as Axl still does what he did in GNR the "other dude" still plays guitar to the same high level (actually much harder parts than he used to now)...the only difference with each of them is the absence of the other to the parts of the song they don't create.

But the point really is, why can the band not at least release a single song like bumblefoot would like to do.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

For the life of me, I can't picture Axl digging anything like what's here.

That could be a hold up.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I love Axl's songwriting, but the point of this very thread is that you DON'T still hear that aspect with Axl's songs and you likely WON'T for the foreseeable future - not because it isn't there but because he doesn't release anything.

He's given us 15 songs in 20 years and the newest of those is almost 5 years old.

Better than nothing, better than anyone else from the old band.

As for the other part of the comment...just as Axl still does what he did in GNR the "other dude" still plays guitar to the same high level (actually much harder parts than he used to now)...the only difference with each of them is the absence of the other to the parts of the song they don't create.

The ability to play SCOM perfectly does not impress me. Besides, I couldn't care less for technical proficiency when the songwriting is almost non existent. High level? Not even close. Put on his latest solo albums and tell me what is so high level about his playing. Tell me what is so high level about the songs as a whole.

But the point really is, why can the band not at least release a single song like bumblefoot would like to do.

The 10.000 dollar question. We don't know, but most of us are waiting since we expect it to be pretty good.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

The ability to play SCOM perfectly does not impress me. Besides, I couldn't care less for technical proficiency when the songwriting is almost non existent.

Who said anything about SCOM.

You have this shit ass backwards.

The place where the songwriting is ALMOST NON-EXISTANT is GNR.

When did they write a new song last? 2008? When is the next album due 2016? What has the even done since 1993? ONE RECORD?

The place where the song writing doesn't exist is GNR, it's the band that's been unable to do anything but do live shows for the better part of two decades now.

I like Axl more than most people but I'm sick of the need to run down the ex-members to justify Axl's problems.

The other members have put out a TON of great music and lived full musical careers outside of GNR while Axl remains crippled by psychological problems that causes the endless drama and bullshit list of people who've "wronged" the band...prevents him from achieving the greatness he once had, seemingly makes it impossible to release even a morsel of his creativity in terms of new music....and seems to have to be coaxed into doing even the smallest of changes to the live show.

You can pretend stuff like Anastasia isn't good guitar if you want to, but if Axl or Izzy had sung over the same shit in 1993 we'd all be jacking off to it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

The ability to play SCOM perfectly does not impress me. Besides, I couldn't care less for technical proficiency when the songwriting is almost non existent.

I like Axl more than most people but I'm sick of the need to run down the ex-members to justify Axl's problems.

I'd like to focus on this for a second longer. I've never understood this either and I certainly hope I've never come off this way.

Me neither, it happens too much, I love reading the threads and the stuff you guys debate, but it all too often turns into an "Axl is great / Slash is overated" argument whenever someone says Axl lost his mojo when Slash left, or that Axl hasn't been able to write epic, memorable tracks without Slash's input of some sort. 

I'm with Monkey, Bono and Buzz on the whole for this thread, totally.  It's all pretty plain to see imo.

Sky Dog wrote:

it goes both ways...just as many people run down Axl in order to build up the old members...it is a two way street which is why I rarely engage in any conversations anymore....everything gets petty and vindictive.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

It is strange how easy it is to turn into an Axl or Slash proxy. I feel like I'm perfectly able to be critical of either without needing to use the other to bolster my argument- they're both flawed in different ways.

But like I said, it's such an easy trap to fall into.

Board footer