You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Chinese Democracy.... Starts Now?

Neemo wrote:

new and exciting was the late 90's....00's are all about nostalgia

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
russtcb wrote:

What sucks is that evidently everyone from the top down is also realizing it now also.

Thats what worries me concerning the possibility of it never being released. As the years go by with nothing, it has allowed everyone involved, whether it be Axl or the head honchos at Uni, to see that nothing positive can be achieved by releasing this record. Lets look at a few of the goals this album has had over the years. Goals mentioned by the man himself during various time frames.....

Bury the old band- not a fucking chance. ship sailed on that vision about a decade ago.

Silence the "nay sayers"- how? By becoming a pop culture joke for a decade or more before release? ship sailed on this vision years ago as well.

Show he could do it without the old band- really? You did 5 albums with the old band in a 6 year period, but one song from 95-08 and we're still waiting. He's the only AFD member to not release an album.

Move the band forward- REO Speedwagon power ballads? Grunge with shredding and synth? Prodigy style techno shit? Wake up....its the early 80's and mid 90's.

The "trilogy vision"- delusions. Beta or someone else close to him who is on his payroll probably suggested this fantasy and he went along with it. When you cant get up enough courage to release one album, where does the courage come to release three? The emperor has no clothes.....

Lets look at a few items that will concern Uni...

Can it sell millions of copies? Of course not. Only a handful of albums sell millions of copies in this era, and this probably wont be one of them. I'm sure they've "crunched the numbers" over at Uni headquarters, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out its gonna have trouble mining for gold.

The value of the GNR name- This is the biggest mystery of all, and it will be answered the first week of CD release. A scary proposition for all involved. If CD tanks, the value drops even more because it taints the legacy. Bad legacy= lower sales of the old albums and less demand(and money) for a reunion. A GH vol. 2 would also feel the sting in a post CD era. The brand will have been diluted even more.

Fan reaction- I'm not talking about 5 thousand nerds spread out over a few websites. We're talking Joe and Jill public here. Joe and Jill weren't too impressed with Oh My God. Joe remembers rocking out to GNR in his youth and Jill lost her virginity to SCOM and had a crush on (insert band member here). New GNR is a whole different ballgame. They have NOTHING for old casual fans or even any new fans to identify with. Zero albums sold, zero legacy, and no identity. Put Finck or Fortus on TV talking about a solo they did on a GNR album, and there's about a 90% chance Joe and Jill change the channel. Nothing for them to relate to. The image they have ALWAYS had of GNR was never able to change because Axl refused to move on. When they hear GNR, they still picture Slash doing the solo.

This ingrained image is going to bite Axl on the ass much deeper than people realize.

This project dragged itself into irrelevancy. All parties involved are likely coming to the realization that its less risky on their bank accounts(and GNR's legacy) if this album never sees the light of day. They can just keep the sliver of mystery alive for us hardcores while putting Jungle and PC on video games and soundtracks and raking in dough on the old albums. Everyone with a financial stake in GNR benefits that way.

They have no desire to please us few thousand hardcores and a laughing media. They know the hardcores will masturbate while getting to vote for November Rain in the next online poll, and if GNR happen to tour, the hardcores will orgasm over Finck or Fortus playing a 20 year old song, and it also pleases the casuals who decide to show up.

So I ask everyone, what incentive does anybody have to release this album?? Don't toss out the 13 mil price tag, because 13 mil aint shit compared to the possible revenue of AFD over the next 10 years with a more intact legacy.

great post James - good to see you are still keeping it real 22

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

antiMusic reports: The latest rumor swirling around Guns N' Roses is that the long over-due "Chinese Democracy" is complete and with the label but a new battle has emerged that is causing further delay. 

We don't know how much stock to put into third or fourth generation rumors, but the word on the street is that Axl has turned in the CD to Geffen at long last but no release date is in sight because Axl and the label can not agree on the marketing of the album. 

Are we closer to Chinese Democracy? We have no idea but we are hopeful. We have yet to hear back with the official denials or "no comment" from the GNR or Geffen camp but we'll keep you posted on what we hear officially or hearsay. Again this is all but rumor at this point , besides rumors are more fun than official news anyway. 

[Update we still have not heard back from our contacts at the label or within the band. But we were informed that this was also widely reported on GNR message boards around Christmas.]

http://www.antimusic.com/dayinrock/08/jan/12/

told ya tongue

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

there is a guy @ htgth by the name of teamaxl who opened a show for Happenin' Harry and The Haptones feat. Dizzy Reed in Chicago last week

apparently Dizzy told him that the album is finished and with the label....so it seems that this is prolly the case, or at least the bands official story as i think Richard, Dizzy, Ron and Frank have all said as much now

I'm not saying that the marketing story is true...just that the album has more than likely been handed in and obviously some kind of behind the scenes talks are taking place

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Neemo wrote:

there is a guy @ htgth by the name of teamaxl who opened a show for Happenin' Harry and The Haptones feat. Dizzy Reed in Chicago last week

apparently Dizzy told him that the album is finished and with the label....so it seems that this is prolly the case, or at least the bands official story as i think Richard, Dizzy, Ron and Frank have all said as much now

I'm not saying that the marketing story is true...just that the album has more than likely been handed in and obviously some kind of behind the scenes talks are taking place

Yeah, it's becoming quite the possibility that this scenario is in fact the case. Good thing is that 'now' we can actually expect it to be coming for real in not too long a timespan.

I'm positive for once about this now.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

I too believe that the label has the album.  At least they haven't rejected it and sent Axl back to square one again.  Once a campaign gets straightened out, we can probably expect some sort of announcement.  Just wondering, you guys who used to contact people at Universal.  Would you be able to see what the contacts are saying now?  Just to see if they'll say anything.  Maybe we can get an unofficial timeline or get the scoop on this.

If it's likely that the album is with the label, this is the closest we've been to having the album with us.  If it's not released this year, we can at least expect a leak.  No way this is out of Axl's hand for a year before it ends up online.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I'm postive in a sense because this is probably the closest the album has ever been to coming out that we know of, which is obviously good news. Like others have said though with the record industry in turmoil the label could be hanging on to see how things pan out, I doubt they'll bat an eyelid at keeping Axl and us waiting considering how long they've been waiting.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I'm postive in a sense because this is probably the closest the album has ever been to coming out that we know of, which is obviously good news. Like others have said though with the record industry in turmoil the label could be hanging on to see how things pan out, I doubt they'll bat an eyelid at keeping Axl and us waiting considering how long they've been waiting.

Agreed, Universal won't fuck around just to make Axl feel how good waiting is. I'm sure that the company wants to release it before the summer festival time, probably in April/May. As I see it, the only people who can play his silly games is Axl, trying to get enormous amount of money for marketing. I hope I'm wrong though, and this fucker will be released in 2008 after all these years.

AtariLegend wrote:

This year's Reading and Leeds festivals will be headlined by three American guitar bands.

Speaking to NME.COM, festival organiser Melvyn Benn gave a huge hint as to who the headliners might be.

'I can tell you that the headliners are American. All of them,' he explained.

'It would be fair to say that all three of the headliners have played Reading and Leeds before, not necessarily as headliners.

'I do know that there's quite a lot of demand for them. So I think the fans will be very, very pleased with what we've got to offer.

'It's not a debut headline position for one of the bands, and one of them has recently headlined.'

Source: http://www.nme.com/news/nme/33778

Maybe...?

Board footer