You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Bring Back Robin Finck "Tank"

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

And we're not talking about stripping down songs, we are talking about EXISTING songs, the way they are, as is, and Slash playing over them. They just don't fit his style, imo. You guys are talking about totally changing the songs, that's not what I'm talking about. Nearly every song on CD would not exist otherwise.

I think we're talking about different things then.

I'm talking about if Slash and Axl co-operated as equals in the writing phase like they used to.

So like axl would have a lyric idea in his head about his confidence/depression and a bit of a melody and he'd sing that bridge in scraped "Sometimes I think that it's all opened up for me" etc....and Slash would be playing one of the hard rock riffs he has and what would evolve would come out something like perfect-crime - it wouldn't be scrapped as is, and it wouldn't be Dr Alibi either.

Then one day Axl would come in with a piano or synth based song like prostitute or catcher and Slash would organically work out solos and melodies that compliment it like estranged.

So you'd end up with UYI3 basically.

If you take the finished CD versions with 4 other guitarists and say he'd have nothing to add that's because those versions have 10 years of songwriting and mods done to them already. But their initial evolution with Slash in the band would be different and much closer to original GNR....as nearly all of them sound like Axl's half of a UYI track.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I agree, monkey. Listening to "Mother Maria" and "Starlight" I could picture Axl on those songs. Not exactly the way they are. Like you said, those two working together from the beginning of the song and how different it would be.

I think I'm less cynical about what they could do together today than I've been, but there's no way you'll ever convince me anyone could make Anastasia a good song wink

This is my thoughts wth Slash and Axl working today:

The Blues
Catcher In The Rye
This I love
IRS
Mother Maria
Starlight
Come on, Come in
Let It Roll

Those would be good fits, I think. I don't know if they'd be better, but I'd like to hear it. For the life of me, I can't picture Axl on anything Snakepit, or his last solo album.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I know you don't like Anastasia but I'm convinced it would be like a Double Talking Jive style track with Axl.

Back from Cali would probably have been an acoustic number similar to the lies tracks with Axl.

As for the rockers...they'e harder to imagine...but humour me and think about it backwards for a second...

Take a UYI rocker and REMOVE ALL AXL influence....then add in the Snakepit singers or myles....

Perfect Crime, Don't Damn Me, Right Next Door to Hell, Bad Apples....they'd all fit in perfectly to snakepit or slash solo without Axl's stuff added to them....the guitar work is very similar.

So reverse that...and the blander tracks on slash's solo stuff would become like UYI rockers  with Axl's involvement.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Maybe, but that doesn't mean I'd like them 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This thread got huge quick. Didn't read it all yet but I gotta back up ID. While I disagree strongly about Robin, Bucket, Huge, etc. coming back, I understand why ID(and others) want them back. That lineup created the CD sessions! If you like CD I dont see how someone can prefer a lineup that has created nothing. Reminds me of Nesquick hating Bucket with every fabric of his being and swing from the nuts of Fortus, then when he found out EVERY solo he thought was "so beautiful, so inspiring" was Bucket's, he disappeared(probably jumped off a bridge).  He still hated Bucket even after finding out Fortus did NOTHING.

If you love or like Chinese, its only natural that you would favor the lineup that created it.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

This thread got huge quick. Didn't read it all yet but I gotta back up ID. While I disagree strongly about Robin, Bucket, Huge, etc. coming back, I understand why ID(and others) want them back. That lineup created the CD sessions! If you like CD I dont see how someone can prefer a lineup that has created nothing. Reminds me of Nesquick hating Bucket with every fabric of his being and swing from the nuts of Fortus, then when he found out EVERY solo he thought was "so beautiful, so inspiring" was Bucket's, he disappeared(probably jumped off a bridge).  He still hated Bucket even after finding out Fortus did NOTHING.

If you love or like Chinese, its only natural that you would favor the lineup that created it.

Nesquick! Shit I forgot about him lol! 14

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

That lineup created the CD sessions! If you like CD I dont see how someone can prefer a lineup that has created nothing.

It's a silly reason....but my logic is that the CD line up already has another album (and maybe 2) in the vault....so what are they going to do if they come back....tour....and that's something DJ does better than Robin for my tastes.....meanwhile...I figure the current guys might be able to add that fine layer of whatever that makes Axl decide something is finished to those vault tracks...I mean adding bumble seemed to trigger CD1 to be complete...maybe adding DJ will be the catalist for CD2....

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

My reasoning is I wasn't too impressed with CD, so rather than more stuff I don't like, I'll take my chances with stuff written by someone else.  Plus they cover the stuff I do like better than the 2002 band did.

Board footer