You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Gn'R Live In London Sat. March 2nd VH1

faldor wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
smoke wrote:

That may be Russ, but it seems odd that a professional mixer doesn't know when an entire solo is happening.

I agree. I haven't watched the whole thing yet. Is it the same with DJ through the whole show? NR, SCoM and all? The only reason I ask is because if those songs are right, it could support my theory. The mastering guy might know where the solos are in those but not CD or Brownstone.

It's funny.  I remember watching the whole show when it was on youtube and it struck me that DJ wasn't getting much face time on the video.  At least it seemed that way to me, there was a lot more shots of Ron and Richard, and not much DJ.  Not sure why that would be, or again, I may have just zoned out when he was on camera or I was mistaken.  I didn't notice his sound being buried as much as his image on a whole.

Either way, I doubt DJ's sound or appearance are the reason the concert isn't being aired.  That would be way too simple.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I'll never get enough of the TM above DJ's head. big_smile

smoke

smoke wrote:
faldor wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
smoke wrote:

That may be Russ, but it seems odd that a professional mixer doesn't know when an entire solo is happening.

I agree. I haven't watched the whole thing yet. Is it the same with DJ through the whole show? NR, SCoM and all? The only reason I ask is because if those songs are right, it could support my theory. The mastering guy might know where the solos are in those but not CD or Brownstone.

It's funny.  I remember watching the whole show when it was on youtube and it struck me that DJ wasn't getting much face time on the video.  At least it seemed that way to me, there was a lot more shots of Ron and Richard, and not much DJ.  Not sure why that would be, or again, I may have just zoned out when he was on camera or I was mistaken.  I didn't notice his sound being buried as much as his image on a whole.

Either way, I doubt DJ's sound or appearance are the reason the concert isn't being aired.  That would be way too simple.

I kind of thought the amount of bouncing around in the video edit bordered on manic. At points, I couldn't decide if it was done to drum up a feeling of energy. And at other times, it seemed like it was done to make vocal overdubs easier.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Smoke, finally seeing what I have been saying all along. Axl sounded best when camera was far away or not on camera at all.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
smoke wrote:
faldor wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I kind of thought the amount of bouncing around in the video edit bordered on manic. At points, I couldn't decide if it was done to drum up a feeling of energy. And at other times, it seemed like it was done to make vocal overdubs easier.

In listening to some recent bootlegs, like Tokyo 2012, Dublin 2012 in conjunction with the bootleg of this London show, I don't hear anything that suggests vocal overdubs.  I don't hear a significant enough difference in the vocals or vocal phrasing to suggest that. 

Ali

smoke

smoke wrote:

Have you watched it yet, Ali? I'm telling you, it's weird in spots.

smoke

smoke wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Smoke, finally seeing what I have been saying all along. Axl sounded best when camera was far away or not on camera at all.

I hadn't seen it yet when you first mentioned it, I don't think. But I think you're right. Some of the footage was also weird in the sense that it looked like a real-crime reenactment. Hard to explain, but it was like shot from the crowd with hands obscuring Axl's face, and just screamed overdub to me.

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
smoke wrote:

Have you watched it yet, Ali? I'm telling you, it's weird in spots.

Indeed I have.  But, I'm not speaking as to the weirdness of the video editing.  I'm not disputing that.  I have been listening to the audio from this show for days, along with the Tokyo 2012 bootleg, the Glasgow 2012 bootleg and a couple of 2011 shows.  I'm just saying I don't hear a significant difference in vocal tone, breath support or phrasing that would suggest overdubs.  What I've observed is on record, Axl's phrasing is different than live.  His inserts more breaths live than he does on record/in the studio, breaking up phrases more.  He's always done that.  It seems consistent among these shows.  I'm not hearing any significant difference in tone either, other than some occasions he has a more raspy tone than others.

Ali

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The boot of the audio that is floating around may be different than we saw on TV.

Board footer