You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Gn'R Live In London Sat. March 2nd VH1

Smoking Guns wrote:

First 3 songs I hear power and roar. From NR on pure MM.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Watch wttj, notice when the camera is far away, or not on him you hear some really good screams and power. But by the time NR comes up, total MM.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Oh yeah when Jungle came, he was the fucking man on that performance. I wish at times he would drop YCBM all together from the set and do another song if that's much trouble for the guy.

johndivney wrote:

it's partly whatever he's using in his backstage cubicle thing. the so-called oxygen mask thing. his voice always is higher when he comes out of that wee room.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Watch wttj, notice when the camera is far away, or not on him you hear some really good screams and power. But by the time NR comes up, total MM.

He's been sounding pretty solid on Jungle during the last couple tours. Here's just a random one from Vegas I grabbed:

For whatever reason, he still nails that tune almost every night then doesn't even try on stuff like YCBM, NR and so on.

Sounds pretty good there. Plenty of venom and rasp. Sort of depressing when you compare it to the Mickey Mouse that seems to show up so often these days.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I agree on Fortus' lead skills, but as good as he is, he is still in the Slash style of traditional rock, where bumble does all that virtuoso stuff that isn't needed.

exactly, Richard is the closest thing to Slash on lead...he isn't Slash (obviously) but he is solid. DJ is a fucking clown...cannot stand him.....sorry if that offends anyone (I know JR and D like him so apologize to them in advance!). 19

I still continue to say DJ is a performer in the most traditional sense of 80's LA sleaze rock. DJ does exactly what DJ does, which is why I respect him. But DJ is like having a less capable, less talented CC DeVille in the band, but at the same time he's true to what he does.

I like his feel better than Ron's. Ron is just a shredder, no offense to the coolness that is Bumble. Ron is NOT Bucket. His gimmick is shredding, so in some ways I like DJ's feel ALOT more because at least he has some.

But Richard is really the only talent in that guitar roster imo. In terms of, "hey, let's go do a record". I gave him HELL for years for the same reasons Lofton did, because we listened to a damn decade of "he's the secret weapon", and yet NEVER saw that. But when Axl decided to do this throwback tribute band, suddenly he let Rich go and it did come out.

I don't think he's Slash, but he's the real emotive player in the band. Ron is the soloist. DJ is the entertainer, who treats GN'R like it's Ratt or Poison and he's there for the fans. I'm fine with that too, but those are the roles in my eyes of all these guys and they all stay right there and i'm fine with that.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

OKay, I got this on DVR so I didn't worry about catching it live. I got home last night during Mr. Brownstone. The young lady I was with (who isn't a GN'R fan, only knows them through the SCOM era vids, etc.) saw Axl and asked, "Who's that?"

I said, "That's Axl."

Her eyes bug out. Silence. Then she asks, "Did something happen to him?"

Me, "No. That's just the way he looks now."

Silence. Then she says, "I'm going to bed. Come in when you're done here."

But then she decides to finish watching the song. We got to Knockin On Heaven's Door and she says, "I'm like, mesmerized by this. I don't even know what to think."

We go to bed. End of story, she's coming over to finish watching on the DVR 16 

One big note. I couldn't hear any of DJ's solos in the songs. Not one. Like the volume on his guitar was turned down. I could hear Richard and Ron perfectly. I could hear DJ's SCOM intro, but none of this solos. Anyone else have that problem?

And there's no doubt that Axl can turn on the rasp when he wants to (she noticed it big time on Don't Cry) but is choosing to sing mostly with the high MM voice. Overall, I thought the band sounded ace. Every player... That I could hear. Axl struggled at certain points, which is to be expected, but I liked it. I thought it was very solid.

That's my review so far.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

We go to bed.

Pics or it didn't happen. tongue

Board footer