You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: Axl Rose: the extended interview (Adelaide Now)

Will wrote:

Interesting read, thanks for posting 22

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

"minimal to zero label support [re: tours]" doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, tho.

Although...historically bands would get "tour support" from a label...like the label would help pay for the tour....reason being that the tour back then was promo for the albums...people would go to a show then run out and grab the records...so it was like a marketing expense and in their best interests.

These days it's more the reverse...people download the records for free and that's what motivates them to pay money to go see the show.

So for that reason the days of label support for tours are pretty much over - sometimes they do it if they have a 360 style deal where they also get a cut of the tour revenue....but the old model of the label owning the masters to your tracks and helping you tour to sell those masters isn't really favoured anymore.

Anyways....no tour support doesn't mean he's on bad terms with the label necessarily...more that they've changed their business model for everyone....theoretically they could still be open to another album but just don't want to pay for the tour..which is sort of logical if the tour revenue goes to the band not them and when album sales are not the profitable business they once were.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Generally a great interview.

The comment that Slash wanted touring to get the better of him is odd. Sometimes I wish we knew more about Axl's actual theories on these things. That slash was involved in a plot to get Axl out of the band or ruin his life?

I would believe Slash was desperate to tour because of his own addiction problems (when having nothing to do he did drugs even harder than when on tour) - and that he may have been so desperate to tour that he didn't give a flying shit about if it fucked up Axl's life or not. I'd believe that. But it's a long way from that to say that Slash had an intentional plan or plot to see Axl fail. Axl clearly believes these things as he keeps saying them...but I wish he'd give the rest of us more info about why.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

monkey,

I do agree with you that the business model has certainly changed from the labels' viewpoint. However, Axl has gone on the record on his displeasure on the Uni's handling of CD and the fact that he even bothered to mentioned the label at all in this instance (in times when exclusive deals between artists and live-event companies are commonplace as opposed to label support) seemed like a jab at their general direction. As in, 'We're doing fine despite our label'.

But time will tell.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Part of me finds aspects of the interview interesting while the other part of me just 14 at it.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Same here Aussie.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Monkey, good point. That claim and Niven and Slash toured to basically break Axl is total BS.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I had never heard it suggested before about Slash trying to break Axl with the tour.  That is kinda new and curious???

Niven has said in past interviews that he booked the first dates of the tour before the album was finished in an attempt to force David Geffen into renegotiating their contract - which worked.  If he didn't renegotiate then Geffen wouldn't get their album and GNR would just make money from touring instead.  It obviously worked too effectively since Axl hasn't been doing that ever since.  16

The next Dropping the Needle podcast with Niv might shed some more light on this since they specifically said they would be talking about the renegotiation in the next interview.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Fuck man, Axl can waffles so much shit in regards to being late excuses. And he's still blaming Slash, damn... get over it!

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I wish Axl would elaborate more on why he thinks what he thinks about Slash.

As the problem is when he makes these kind of statements, without providing the real reasoning or basis for him thinking that, it comes across as paranoid or just not letting go of a grudge, which does him a disservice as for all we know he might have very real reasons to think these things and maybe we have all swallowed "lies" from the other side. But in the absence of that - we have accounts from the other members that seem at least internally consistent and plausible - then Axl comes out with these statements that are wildly at odds with them - and it's just sort of hard to fathom.

As for the business about the touring lateness. Everything he said makes perfect sense and is the exact sort of drama people in the touring and music business spend their lives accumulating grey hairs over. It would be a fucking nightmare trying to schedule all that kind of shit all the time. That said, what he doesn't address is that those same problems must haunt nearly every band on the road, and the others manage to overcome them to appear within the limitations imposed by the industry. So it sort of has to fall back upon GNR and it's managers that they find that challenge insurmountable.

Then again...why does Axl have to be a saint.....maybe it's just his weakness and he sucks at being on time in life.....at the end of the day to me that's a forgivable offence if he makes killer music and puts on awesome shows...he can't be good at everything I guess wink

Board footer