You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

Re: North Korea

RaZor wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

IF he even has any missiles he would never fire them. How stupid would that be? And if he happened to be certified and don't give a shit I can assure you in any government there's plenty of people who aren't and would kill him long before risking their privileged positions.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a backroom deal with the west here. The media and the public love the crazy dictators, makes them forget about domestic REAL affairs.

I hope your right, but I don't know.  It just feels like it might actually happen this time.  When governments are moving military assets like this, it's a sign that shit is getting really.  I hope it's just me becoming an allarmist in my old age, but I have a bad feeling about all this.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
NoKnownName wrote:

A documentry on the Hermit Kingdom.

Thanks man how fucked up

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:

Watched that documentary a month ago, very screwed up. North Korea is a very poor country, even Pyongyang is an old, run down city.To them, we are still Imperialists, and Kim Jong Il/Un are basically Gods to them. Part of me gets mad when I see North Koreans because of their hatred towards America, but I have to remember that it really isn't their fault. They've been indoctrinated since birth and have never been told differently

I'm hoping a war of N. Korea and China vs. America and S. Korea does not happen, worst case scenario for me, I could get drafted if things get rough. I turn 17 in June, and they start drafting kids once they turn 18. Highly unlikely I know, especially with 21st century warfare, and they havent drafted since Vietnam, but sometimes you gotta wonder...

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Just watched those vids too, amazing how keeping your people so insular and controlled that they have no choice but to accept the propoganda they have been fed since birth. They have no other information about the outside world to base any sort of informed opinion on. Im sure if they went to war the people would have no idea how stupid and suicidal that decision would be for them

Watching their army, the salute and goose step they use looks horribly similar to that used by another crazy leader in the past...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
RaZor wrote:

Idk, but the US has been building up military assets in the area for months, so we're ready to fuck their shit up it seems.

While we're always moving our chess pieces around, it only took DAYS to be ready to fight a land,sea, air, and space war in Asia. It was the most interesting element of the crisis. While the world forgot about it right after tensions cooled, I can assure you that China, Russia, and the EU were alarmed by how quickly the US can respond to a major crisis. What used to take weeks now only takes days(and hours in some cases). Had Kennedy or Reagan been president months ago, we'd already be doing mop up duty in the region.

It makes me wonder how much China cares about NK.

They care a LOT. So does Russia. A US attack and/or occupation of NK is a check mate move on the containment of China and to a certain degree, Russia.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

And that's all it is, chess moves. Showing off military might. Not that you have to when you outspend the rest of the world combined in military armaments. The rest of the world knows this. As a consequence inviting war from America is not very high on anybody's to do list these days.

Granted, yours and everybody elses economy sucks these days, and it has historically been an effective step to start a war to get out of a depression, but that's no longer the case in 2013. A soldier costs a lot to produce, his toys even more. So much so that a major engagement now creates depressions instead of relieve them. Unless the benefits are great you are not entering any wars.

Prancing around your forces on the other hand is very good for the economy. With very little additional spending you can whip up enough tension for the media to scare your public into the supermarkets and at the same time measure the size of your stuff with the other football captains without disrupting trade. Actual war, unless it involves air operations, is not likely to be in the interest of anyone.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

They care a LOT. So does Russia. A US attack and/or occupation of NK is a check mate move on the containment of China and to a certain degree, Russia.

Yeah...seems to me like if NK went to war with USA the inevitable result would either be:

1. the utter destruction of NK (if they use any kind of WMD the gloves would be off for the USA to return fire with more powerful weapons)..given the usa response to something like 9/11 i'd imagine the scale of retaliation would be significant if you guys were hit first with something dramatic.

2. The escalation of conflict into a broader world war if anyone powerful takes NK's side or if someone else decides that it's a good time to start something unrelated while the USA is preoccupied. But you think most people don't want this...or

3. if it's just a conventional war between the usa and NK alone - the eventual occupation of NK. Not that it wouldn't be horrific first but at the end of the day it's hard to see the USA military losing when it's just so big. Although maybe if it goes like vietnam and it just goes so long that people are sick of it - but if NK is the aggressor then the stamina would be increased.

So you'd think places like china wouldn't want the USA to end up owning NK entirely...which seems like what would happen in the end....so it's kind of in their interest to stop a war breaking out in the first place.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah...seems to me like if NK went to war with USA the inevitable result would either be:

1. the utter destruction of NK (if they use any kind of WMD the gloves would be off for the USA to return fire with more powerful weapons)..given the usa response to something like 9/11 i'd imagine the scale of retaliation would be significant if you guys were hit first with something dramatic.

2. The escalation of conflict into a broader world war if anyone powerful takes NK's side or if someone else decides that it's a good time to start something unrelated while the USA is preoccupied. But you think most people don't want this...or

3. if it's just a conventional war between the usa and NK alone - the eventual occupation of NK. Not that it wouldn't be horrific first but at the end of the day it's hard to see the USA military losing when it's just so big. Although maybe if it goes like vietnam and it just goes so long that people are sick of it - but if NK is the aggressor then the stamina would be increased.

So you'd think places like china wouldn't want the USA to end up owning NK entirely...which seems like what would happen in the end....so it's kind of in their interest to stop a war breaking out in the first place.

A war with NK could also turn into a proxy war with Russia and China, with those two not getting directly involved but feeding NK weapons and supplies.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

I've not even finished this book yet, but based on the first 100 pages I'd definitely recommend you all to pick up a copy of "Escape From Camp 14" if you are interested in North Korea and haven't read it already.

escape-from-camp-14-978033051954001.jpg

The book is based on interviews with the only person to have been born inside and escaped a North Korean gulag (slave labour prison), as well as interviews with defectors, eyewitnesses etc.

Some of the stuff in the book, not really spoilers, just a summary of some events in the book:-

Hidden Text:

The escapee snitched on his own mother and brother when he discovered that they'd not shared their rice with him and were plotting to escape the prison. They were both executed for the escape attempt, and he and his father were given front row seats to watch - the son feeling no remorse at all because as far as he was concerned his mother deserved to die.

He was tortured in an underground prison cell for weeks - chopping off fingers, roasting him over a fire, hogtied to the ceiling and left for days.

A child in his classroom was beaten to death by the teacher and no-one gave a shit or mentioned it again.

Guards rape female prisoners, and if they fall pregnant the woman is murdered to prevent their bloodline from continuing.

Pain, suffering and death are just an everyday part of life for the hundreds of thousands (still) living inside these camps.

I've not got the part where he escapes yet, but reading about his life growing up inside the camp has been eyeopening to say the least.

Board footer