You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Re: Slash playing with Kings of Chaos + VR news

Son of a Gun wrote:

Axl powns Izzy in terms of lyrics and melodies. Izzy is overappriciated and is given too much credit he laid foundation but others especially Axl and Slash built on his simple riffs and made those songs sound great. For me Axl always was the best writer in the band. Dust N`Bonse, Double Talkin`Jive and 14 Years are awesome songs but they can`t touch One In A Milion, November Rain, Dead Horse, Coma, Civil War, Breakdown, Locomotive, Better, There Was A Time, Catcer in the Rye etc.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah actually it shows you the draw that could have huh.

Like now you mention it - they could do Skid Row and GNR hits - that's a huge draw to most people - then they add in the VR tunes.

VR was always keen to establish itself as more modern than GNR - but I always thought if they just did a straight GNR cover show with someone like Baz  or Myles they'd be giving modern GNR a run for it's money in the "which band is GNR" stakes.

Myles Kennedy butchering GNR`s material with nasal vocals ? I`ll pass.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Only singer around currently able to sing ANY song in GNR's back catalogue....including Axl.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
RaZor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Like now you mention it - they could do Skid Row and GNR hits - that's a huge draw to most people - then they add in the VR tunes.

VR was always keen to establish itself as more modern than GNR - but I always thought if they just did a straight GNR cover show with someone like Baz  or Myles they'd be giving modern GNR a run for it's money in the "which band is GNR" stakes.

Add Gibby and a vocalist so similar to Axl to VR, and GNR's authenticity problem gets worse. Which could be pretty cool for fans if a rivalry between the two would motivate them to put out more material. We could end up with two awesome bands.

Big obstacle, there are no vocalists like Axl.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ Only singer around currently able to sing ANY song in GNR's back catalogue....including Axl.

I`ll take current Axl over MK any day of the week.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I like them both.

Just saying Slash likes to play a couple of hundred shows a year, record a new album every 2 or so years, and play a variety of tunes from the whole of his back catalogue.

Aside from Axl's solemn oath to die before playing with Slash again, I notice new GNR played about as many shows in 10 years as Slash does in one, that they only add a song to the setlist about once every 3-4 years, and that in 20 years we've had 1 album.

Something tells me as kickass as Axl is as a songwriter, he's not the man to front VR wink

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I like them both.

Just saying Slash likes to play a couple of hundred shows a year, record a new album every 2 or so years, and play a variety of tunes from the whole of his back catalogue.

Aside from Axl's solemn oath to die before playing with Slash again, I notice new GNR played about as many shows in 10 years as Slash does in one, that they only add a song to the setlist about once every 3-4 years, and that in 20 years we've had 1 album.

Something tells me as kickass as Axl is as a songwriter, he's not the man to front VR wink

Yes, you`re right Axl will never ever front generic uninspired Rock band like Velvet Revolver. Contraband was decent that`s it. It was patheitc attempt at resurecting Guns N`Rosse without Axl but they failed, they fell flat on their faces because there`s no Guns N`Roses without Axl even name Velvet Revolver reeked of desperate desire to bring back GNR.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Actually I thought they went to a great effort to NOT be like GNR...including refusing to hire anyone who sang a GNR song as a demo tape, refusing baz cos he sounded like 80s skid row, dropping most of the guitar solos, purposely picking a 90s style grungy singer not an 80s  type high pitch vocalist, slash not wearing his hat, and the general disavowal of any GNR related stuff except for ISE and Brownstone as covers.

That's kinda my point. VR was like it was because slash was playing AGAINST his normal way to try and be modern and not like his normal 70s rock influenced stuff.

it's also worth noting that it hardly fell flat on it's face, they got grammy awards and a bunch of recognition and the media identified with them as a modern and new distinct entity of a supergroup from STp/GNR folks.

I personally really like Axl and respect his music, but if you look at the average punter, they see bizarre style changes, patchy performances, almost no albums, continued late starts and drama and replacing the whole band with people who never get a shot at legitimising their presence with a studio release, and it's done what it does. He's the michael jackson of rock now. Everyone knows he's talented, but he's also considered nuts and or a jerk of the worst kind.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

^^truth

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
RaZor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Add Gibby and a vocalist so similar to Axl to VR, and GNR's authenticity problem gets worse. Which could be pretty cool for fans if a rivalry between the two would motivate them to put out more material. We could end up with two awesome bands.

Big obstacle, there are no vocalists like Axl.

I was referring to Baz in that post, he's an 80's vocalist who's work with Skid Row was very similar to Axl in GNR.

Board footer