You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Re: Slash playing with Kings of Chaos + VR news

Son of a Gun wrote:
RaZor wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
RaZor wrote:

Add Gibby and a vocalist so similar to Axl to VR, and GNR's authenticity problem gets worse. Which could be pretty cool for fans if a rivalry between the two would motivate them to put out more material. We could end up with two awesome bands.

Big obstacle, there are no vocalists like Axl.

I was referring to Baz in that post, he's an 80's vocalist who's work with Skid Row was very similar to Axl in GNR.

Baz`s " work" was n`t similar to Axl`s, Axman had huge input in Guns`s music unlike Baz, who just added his vocals to whatever Snake and Scott Hill handed him. He doesn`t have writing chops.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Actually I thought they went to a great effort to NOT be like GNR...including refusing to hire anyone who sang a GNR song as a demo tape, refusing baz cos he sounded like 80s skid row, dropping most of the guitar solos, purposely picking a 90s style grungy singer not an 80s  type high pitch vocalist, slash not wearing his hat, and the general disavowal of any GNR related stuff except for ISE and Brownstone as covers.

That's kinda my point. VR was like it was because slash was playing AGAINST his normal way to try and be modern and not like his normal 70s rock influenced stuff.

it's also worth noting that it hardly fell flat on it's face, they got grammy awards and a bunch of recognition and the media identified with them as a modern and new distinct entity of a supergroup from STp/GNR folks.

I personally really like Axl and respect his music, but if you look at the average punter, they see bizarre style changes, patchy performances, almost no albums, continued late starts and drama and replacing the whole band with people who never get a shot at legitimising their presence with a studio release, and it's done what it does. He's the michael jackson of rock now. Everyone knows he's talented, but he's also considered nuts and or a jerk of the worst kind.

Velvet Revolver was a typical supergroup they had 5 minutes of attention because of Slash, Duff and Scott they went nowhere Audioslave was much better.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
RaZor wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

I was referring to Baz in that post, he's an 80's vocalist who's work with Skid Row was very similar to Axl in GNR.

Baz`s " work" was n`t similar to Axl`s, Axman had huge input in Guns`s music unlike Baz, who just added his vocals to whatever Snake and Scott Hill handed him. He doesn`t have writing chops.

Again, I was referring to him as a vocalist, I didn't say anything about his writing being comparable to Axl's. And I don't think it's comparable to Axl's, but it's not bad either. Baz's solo albums were pretty dam good, way better than the crap SR has been doing without him.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
RaZor wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

That doesn't seem to make any sense since Skid Row's albums have went down hill since Sebastian left, and Sebastian's solo stuff has been pretty damn good.
So clearly, Sebastian's input is more valuable than you think.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
RaZor wrote:

That doesn't seem to make any sense since Skid Row's albums have went down hill since Sebastian left, and Sebastian's solo stuff has been pretty damn good.

How comes that he has only 10 co wriitng credits on 3 albums ? that `s not "valuable contribution " .

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

How comes that he has only 10 co wriitng credits on 3 albums ? that `s not "valuable contrubition " .

It'd be the first time in the history of rock that someone's undercredited! 16

Anyway, since VR have a full album without vocals and Baz is one of my all time favourites, I'd love them completing those songs. Slash could still use his new ideas for his Myles project.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

How comes that he has only 10 co wriitng credits on 3 albums ? that `s not "valuable contrubition " .

Anyway, since VR have a full album without vocals and Baz is one of my all time favourites, I'd love them completing those songs. Slash could still use his new ideas for his Myles project.

Yes, Baz can scream his lungs off give you that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Velvet Revolver was a typical supergroup they had 5 minutes of attention because of Slash, Duff and Scott they went nowhere Audioslave was much better.

They had a similar ride to me.

Audioslave's first album was very strong, but album two and three remind me of Libertad in the sense that there's 1 or 2 very strong songs that are arguably their best but there surrounded with a lot of filler type tracks - where there's nothing really wrong with the track - it's just hard to get excited about it either.

Fair enough Audioslave ran for 3 albums and VR for 2...but I'd guess VR would have toured more.

Audioslave would have been even better if they'd moved away from rage against the machine style guitar solos.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Yes, Baz can scream his lungs off give you that.

Although you meant it to be ironic, you hit the nail on the head. Those amazing vocal melodies are Baz's creations. No way Snake or Rachel would have been able to write them. They wrote the music and most of the lyrics, but Sebastian did the vocal melodies. Most bands (including GN'R) credit that. Skid Row didn't.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

How comes that he has only 10 co wriitng credits on 3 albums ? that `s not "valuable contribution " .

You're missing my point. Axl isn't credited for every single song written in GN'R's catalogue either, but that doesn't mean his vocals didn't make the songs he didn't write awesome.

Same thing with Sebastian and Skid Row.

Board footer