You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Slash playing with Kings of Chaos + VR news

metallex78 wrote:

I can understand not having Steve there if Slash is playing with them, as Slash would play all the leads I imagine, but to add Kushner when they already have Gilby on rhythm is kinda odd...

Three guitarists on stage is getting into nuGN'R territory... 10 14

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

People complain that Axl uses the old logo of a band he was in. Where are those people when Slash, Duff, Matt and a lot of other UNRELATED to GNR people, uses AXL'S VOICE on an ad to promote themselves?

Double standards..

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Kush for VR shit. Gilby for GNR

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

This will be first time to see VR plus Bach. Perhaps an audition???

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axl's voice is not on that ad.

otto

otto wrote:

Yes it is, at the very end.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I didn't notice it. Sorry.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
otto wrote:

People complain that Axl uses the old logo of a band he was in. Where are those people when Slash, Duff, Matt and a lot of other UNRELATED to GNR people, uses AXL'S VOICE on an ad to promote themselves?

Double standards..

Well, I dunno... it's a bit of a fine line considering GN'R didn't exactly write instrumentals.
And, short of them having GN'R music without Axl's vocals on there, Slash, Duff & Matt have every right to use that music, considering they played and wrote that music too.

Kings of Chaos are just a cover band anyway. It'd be different if Kings of Chaos were an original music band, using old GN'R songs to promote themselves.
But they're using songs from a band they were previously in, to promote the material they'll be playing live.

Plus, listening back to that clip, it's only the last few seconds of the ad where vocals come in, and not exactly Axl's most popular part in that particular song.

otto

otto wrote:

I still think there's a double standard, especially when you start your argument with " it's a bit of a fine line".
smile

But I don't want to flame or start a discussion, just trying to make people reflect on this..

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think you've raised an interesting point otto.

I'll agree it is a double standard, but, although it goes over old ground I want to explain why I think that double standard is in this case just.

The band was a partnership and lets face it one of the most successful acts in the world. Axl (through his management) got the others to sign control of the name over to him. Then he quit that partnership and formed a new business using the same name. He then asked the people who'd been in the last partnership to join as simple employees where they'd earn less and have less creative control.

All of these things are slightly disrespectful to people who (with himself) worked together to achieve what had been achieved. Then when they didn't want to be part of his new operation as employees, rather than realise what he did, he publicly stated he had a grand new vision for the business, following an exciting new sound, and promising huge things.

He's also continued to make comments that suggest the others weren't as valuable as most poeple think they they were  - such as suggesting slash should have left GNR after AFD, or the time the official site under his control posted reviews saying that Slash ruined UYI. For all the ex-members supposed trashing of Axl I bet you never find a quote where anyone questions his singing skill.

What ends up happening, as we all know, is that in 20 years - all that is achieved is one album - compared with 3 albums and an EP in 5 years of the old band, then the new business that he touted only loosely follows through in it's plan to make a new sound, hires people who look and act like the old members, often makes statements pretending this line up has always been the same ('return to the ritz', 'hall of famers etc) , uses the old logos and name, uses the old players performances in adds and plays shows where 90% of the music played was not written by the line up performing it.

Frankly, it's axl's actions in taking control of the band and brand (quitting the old one and forming the new) that created that situation - so it puts him under more of a 'duty' or 'obligation' in the minds of many fans to deliver the outcomes he originally proposed.

So...while it's wrong for the old members to use Axl's voice, it's worse for Axl to use their playing, as it was he who decided to downgrade them in the first place. And that's why there's a double standard at work.

Board footer