You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bucketfoot
 Rep: 4 

Re: Eddie Trunk on Chinese Democracy

bucketfoot wrote:

Yeah I realize that there is going to be deficit, but if VR can sell 4 million, then I think GNR can sell atleast that. To the casual listener or even the casual listener who knows about the breakup, they don't really care about member changes. If it's good music and it sounds like GNR. They'll be there. There is a much more rabid desire for GNR overseas than here.

My point is, this is for 3/4 albums worth of material. Whether that will break down to 3 more or not, there aren't future costs for recording. I don't think it'll have a lot of stuff we haven't heard. I'm sure the 6 ones on tour will be there obviously, plus 6/7 other songs. So? I like the songs. And yes, the record company does get touring profit.

I think that you're a little jaded by the history of the album. There's the hardcores on the internet and people who will already buy it, but then theres a new generation yet to discover GNR. Based on critical reaction to the leaks, "it's already better than VR", etc., I'm sure that it will be a respected album. How much so remains to be seen.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

The album will not sell 8 million

If Linkin Park can do that in the US alone, why is it impossible for Guns N' Roses to sell 8 million World Wide... ?

Linkin Park= relevant to today's generation

GNR=a bunch of men in their mid/late 40's who have done nothing since I was 18 with a lineup that wasn't even included in that last album(I'll be 33 this April).

We've been over the other obstacles that will prevent this record from setting the world on fire.

James, I don't believe the whole trilogy thing either. I do believe he recorded 30-40 tracks for the chinese democracy sessions-he said himself in Mar 06 that he was working on 32 songs-then you have the Bach comments about 4 albums worth of material. Which means, until there is a final tracklist, all songs recorded are fair game. In the end, I think we will get 6 songs we have already heard and the rest will be unheard stuff. Obviously, that is just a guess. As far as sales go, I don't think we have any real idea of what will happen until a single hits the radio.

Take into account band members saying there are several versions of each song, and that so called trilogy shrinks into one album with the best version of each song.

I don't believe anything Baz says. He claimed he knew when it was coming out in mid 06. He also says Axl is "prolific".

Yeah, "all songs" are fair game, but when you keep going to the same well for a decade, obviously water from that well is going to be bottled and shipped.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
bucketfoot wrote:

if VR can sell 4 million, then I think GNR can sell atleast that.

vr sold 4 million in 04 riding a wave of nostalgia and hype....vr sold 1/8 of that in todays market...and the numbers are pretty similar across the board...except for a couple artists....i think a better band to compare this version of GNR to would be ozzys black rain from last year...his first orig material in 10 years....if somone can pull sales figures off that it'll prolly be similar to what GnR is gonna move

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i think a better band to compare this version of GNR to would be ozzys black rain from last year...his first orig material in 10 years....if somone can pull sales figures off that it'll prolly be similar to what GnR is gonna move

Don't say that. You'll cause mass suicides at the forums.:haha:

I don't know how much that sold, but it wasn't much.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i think a better band to compare this version of GNR to would be ozzys black rain from last year...his first orig material in 10 years....if somone can pull sales figures off that it'll prolly be similar to what GnR is gonna move

Don't say that. You'll cause mass suicides at the forums.:haha:

I don't know how much that sold, but it wasn't much.

i think it did ok....but a comeback rock record is what basically gnr will be....and ozzy was the most current one i could think of...but i dont think it went platinum....maybe a couple times gold though

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Down To Earth?

AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

The album will not sell 8 million

If Linkin Park can do that in the US alone, why is it impossible for Guns N' Roses to sell 8 million World Wide... ?

Linkin Park= relevant to today's generation

GNR = relevant to every rock generation since 1987.

bucketfoot
 Rep: 4 

bucketfoot wrote:

It was like 500,000. And Axl Rose isn't Ozzy.

Ozzy can barely string together a sentence. Axl on the other hand is putting on one hell of a show for a 45-year old. This is coming from a longtime Ozzy/Sabbath fan too.

Black Rain was a very formulaic album and not greatly received critically. Chinese Democracy has 14 year hype (good or bad) and the Guns N' Roses name.

A lot of people will buy it out of curiousity, some because they're hardcore fans, and some stumble into it.

And I think it's a little presumptuous to say GNR isn't relevant to today's society. Their aesthetic is classic rock-star and I think I saw some bug-eyed sunglasses, etc. Not to mention Chris Pitman does stuff along the same lines of Linkin Park. Except you know....good. And with well written lyrics. Better is a pseudo-poppy ditty with a great hook. Someone I know who "hates" Guns N' Roses loved that song. Then I told her it was GNR and she thought that I was kidding. So...go figure...

GNR's reception after the album release isn't decided yet, but it seems like you've already made your judgment. Bummer.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

Artist
OSBOURNE, OZZY Title
BLACK RAIN Certification Date
12/14/2007 Label
EPIC
Award Description
GOLD Format
ALBUM Category
SOLO Type
ST

one time gold which means

Quantity:
500,000 units.
Manufacturer's dollar volume at least $1 million based on 33 1/3% of sugg. list price

Peak Position: The Billboard 200 #3 on June 09, 2007

OZZY OSBOURNE's "Black Rain" sold 152,000 copies in the United States during its first week of release to debut at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 chart.

there ya go a preview of CD sales if its released this year

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
bucketfoot wrote:

It was like 500,000. And Axl Rose isn't Ozzy.

Ozzy can barely string together a sentence. Axl on the other hand is putting on one hell of a show for a 45-year old. This is coming from a longtime Ozzy/Sabbath fan too.
GNR's reception after the album release isn't decided yet, but it seems like you've already made your judgment. Bummer.

oh Axl is better than ozzy huh? well ozzy is outselling Axl in many areas and ozzy is still selling out concerts everywhere..i dunno just my opinion is all, if you hope for the moon dont be upset when all you get is a night light 16

i'm just trying to guestimate based on a similar artist is all 19 trying to find some reality

Board footer