You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Eddie Trunk on Chinese Democracy

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

GNR = relevant to every rock generation since 1987.

Show me album sales of the 97-08 lineup to prove that.

I'll wait.

Sorry Neemo, but most rock fans couldn't care less about the Ozzy solo career...

Really? What planet have you lived on since he left Sabbath when I was a child?

but it seems like you've already made your judgment. Bummer.

Yeah, anyone who thinks this is gonna be bigger than the invention of the wheel is in for a harsh reality check.

I agree with BS about AC/DC being a good gauge on CD interest. They haven't released an album in about 8 years.

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

how many free shows has axl done?

Not every many, I would guess...

...But really that hasn't got much to do with "Chinese Democracy"...

Neemo wrote:

and ozzy didnt get big acts last year cuz he played every show for free

Have Metallica, R.H.C.Ps, U2 ever played there...?

What about the Foo Fighters?

Marilyn Manson is probably the best thing to a major act, outside Sabbath they ever had...

I don't see how Ozzy has had as much effect on the past few generations as Guns N' Roses have.

"Sweet Child O' Mine", "Paradise City", "November Rain" still get major TV and Radio air play on Rock stations this side of the world.

Ozzy doesn't, I know he used to be on MTV alot, but so did Paris Hilton and not many bought her music... (No offence to Ozzy)

AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I'll wait.

TV/Radio Airplay, people still love those songs...

Hence the Guns N' Roses brand...

Jameslofton wrote:

Yeah, anyone who thinks this is gonna be bigger than the invention of the wheel is in for a harsh reality check.

I never said that, I just think it's gonna be a bit bigger than "Black Rain".

James

James wrote:

Atari, I don't understand your opinion that Chinese Democracy is going to sell on the back of Slash. The old legacy is not going to prop this album up on the charts. Playing Jungle on tour is safe. Releasing an album with CD, Madagascar,etc. is not. Its time for people to realize this now that it seems the record company realizes they are now in a tough spot.

I don't care how many times PC gets played on your side of the globe. Its irrelevant to this album.

MTV can play the Jungle video for a week straight the moment of CD's release and its not going to help CD sell one album.

The CD lineup has to stand on its own merit when its time for a release. How much ass Axl and Slash kicked in 87-91 has nothing to do with Chinese Democracy.

James

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I'll wait.

TV/Radio Airplay, people still love those songs...

Which songs from 97-08 are being played on TV and radio that people love?

You gotta understand that new GNR is an entirely different ballgame than the GNR that ruled the world in 87-93.

Funny how we always get told to stop living in the past but its ok to do that when CD gets mentioned.

Cant have it both ways.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

going back since 1996

slayer (2x)
manson
pantera (3x)
tool
megadeth
limp bizkit (they were huge back then)
foofighters
Rob Zombie
Primus
Godsmack (pretty big back then)
System of a Down
POD (big back then)
linkin park
disturbed
Korn
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Velvet Revolver
Avenged Sevenfold

so yeah some pretty big names have gone out on ozzfest

bucketfoot
 Rep: 4 

bucketfoot wrote:

I'm not saying Axl is "better", etc. than Ozzy. But Ozzy didn't have the biggest rock band of the late 80s and early 90s.

Axl has sold-out huge venues without releasing an album in 14 years. You gotta give him some credit for that. There is some appeal that drives people to GNR. Sure there were poorly filled venues, yeah. My point is that Axl has a certain appeal that Ozzy lost a long time ago.

And to James, no I'm not expecting Chinese Democracy to blow up GNR to epic proportions but comparing it to Ozzy doesn't really make sense.

James

James wrote:

Funny that in a thread about Universal's handling of CD we are having to defend Ozzy.

Wait until CD is released and the numbers come out. We'll be backed into a corner trying to defend Hanson's lackluster sales when they tried to move on from Mmmbop.

AtariLegend wrote:

Guns N' Roses weren't Slash to everyone outside these boards.

...And for the final time, I don't think it's gonna go multi-diamond, I just think that it's more than capable of selling a few million albums, instead of 10,000 what you guys seem to think...

Anyway we'll see whens it's released, if it ever is.

Board footer