You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: Bob Ezrin talks Axl and Chinese

smoke wrote:

Meh- that's how some producers roll. The dude did The Wall. He's hardly the only producer to straddle roles: George Martin, Jeff Lynne, Timbaland  to name a few.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Ezrin got some balls. He's a producer, not a partner. Seems his primary intention was to become an integral part of the big gnr comeback, cause just having a 10 million dollar Guns N' Roses album on your CV isn't enough apparently.

One does have to ask, why couldn't Ezrin just go along with Axl, complete the album with some touching up like he did with NIN's Fragile and be done with it? Iovine and Interscope would get their album, Axl would get his comeback, Ezrin would likely collect a nice check for a limited amount of labour.

Greed comes to play. Ezrin would've been experienced enough to see what Baker and some others had picked up early. The whole process was an unequaled melting pot of various audial experiments, that sort of obscure methology prominent with various 70's bands. Only now, Axl was guiding his "biggest band in the world" advance to fund such experimenting on a bigger scale. Epic Rock, enough to bury AFD, UYIs and all of his past career.

If Axl would've pulled it off, CD would've been huge on every level; only everything fell apart.

Sky Dog wrote:

still think he should have released everything at once ....a two disc affair like the Illusions....2 cd's for the price of one....12 tracks on each disc, take your best 24 songs and release them..attached together...it would have been Axl's The Wall and he could have moved on with his life by now. But as Apex said...everything pretty much fell apart by 2002.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

still think he should have released everything at once ....a two disc affair like the Illusions....2 cd's for the price of one....12 tracks on each disc, take your best 24 songs and release them..attached together...it would have been Axl's The Wall and he could have moved on with his life by now. But as Apex said...everything pretty much fell apart by 2002.

Totally agree, and it's so frustrating.

Sky Dog wrote:

yep...a two for one special would have served two purposes: 1. It would have justified the long wait (at least somewhat!). 2. It would have been an olive branch for his hardcore fans...give them more in payback for their continual loyalty....especially by 2008 and the securing of the Best Buy deal. The Best Buy deal essentially recovered all the costs for the album so someone should have considered giving something extra back to the fans. What a stupid clusterfuck it turned in to..

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The sad part is I think Ezrin could have really brought something special to some of the tracks, had he been happy with just sitting in a Producers chair and not needed to be a co-writer and performer. Jimmy could not have been enthused that Ezrin wanted Axl to spend even more time (and money) writing more material (with him). From the sounds of it, Jimmy liked the material but needed someone to light a fire under Axl's ass to release it.  And here you have Axl saying he was ready to mix and release it and Bob trying to talk him out of it.

The thing that gets me is that Ezrin can say all of this with a straight face, knowing what he's put out as a producer/performer in the last decade and the difference in critical reaction to his writing/producing efforts and CD. It's not even close.

fwiw, I always wished Bob Ezrin had produced UYI, but now I'm not so sure...

Chris Piss
 Rep: 1 

Chris Piss wrote:

So he liked two tracks and maybe the outro to Prostitute or the laser show at the start of Riad? Sounds about right.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Most producers pitch directly into song structure and writing, that's often part of the deal, it is not unusual.  They don't get writing credits they usually just get a guaranteed fee. Watch Bob Rock in action with Metallica for example.

I still find myself appalled at Axl's business methods.. the word's "hangers on" pervade almost every industry story about Axl.
He has been stunningly lazy, wreckless and very naive in his professional life and as a result relegated his quarter billion dollar career and U2 scale legacy to a slick but tired cabaret.

Axl hides much more than he confronts. It leads me to believe that he refuses to meet Slash at all as he has developed his own version of why he is where he is, and that version absolves him of any blame and places it all on Slash. He'd rather hide from an alternative truth than face it. This is why I think there has been no book or article from Axl about the breakup; deep down he knows that if he writes a story about how all of the people on his shit list of enemies at some stage tried to screw him physically, mentally, emotionally, financially  - he'd probably get sued for printing untruths.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

No. Producers do not typically write and perform on songs. Most producers want ready-made material. Bob Rock played bass when Jason quit and they were looking for a new bassist. He did not write the material with them. Rick Rubin doesn't do that, either.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Yes, and bitter squad would have much less to whine about.

Board footer