You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Your Opinions on a Axl/Slash Reconciliation

polluxlm wrote:

Lol he's not great but he's not Van Halen territory either. If Mick Jagger can command stadiums with the voice of a 90 year old surely Axl can pull off a legitimate reunion tour for at least some years to come. And that prospect will still be worth more than enough to eclipse any current or future offers the members can get on their own. Even if it happened and he was shit, you'd see glowing reviews from every major outlet and people would still end up coming in droves.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

It`s not like Axl wanted reunion that much and if anyone thinks that if someday Axl decides to mend fences with Slash, offer him a gig and Slash will refuse, they`re in denial to say the least. Whether someone likes it or not ball is in Axl`s court when it comes to reunion not Slash`s, Izzy`s or Duff`s.

We're agreed that Axl doesn't want to do it.

He's been very clear about that.

But if he wants to mend the fence, my suggestion to you is that he will find he is given terms not making them.

Yes I believe their is a circumstance where Slash will perform with him again, and I believe it would be something like this:

1. One off or extremely limited performance (eg handful of shows)
2. Axl is contractually obliged to appear on time and if he doesn't he pays the damage
3. Axl has no more authority than any other band member regarding what happens.

I ask you - why would Slash accept anything less than that now?

On his own he's able to release music (not hoard it), play many more shows than Axl a year, and get as much if not more media attention and popular culture impact than Axl, and if he wants to relive the past there's stuff like Kings of Chaos on tap..

I know I sound all fanboy saying those things, but the truth is I'm a fanboy of both, I'm just saying the era where GNR would reunite and it means something is gone, all that could happen now IMO is a one-off novelty reunion and really doing that amounts to Slash accepting a whole lot of problems back into his life. So unless he was paid hundreds of millions or had complete control I don't see why he'd bother.

It boils down to one simple thing, Axl does n`t want to do anything with Slash and therefore, he does n`t want reunion. No offense but I don`t really understand  what headspace some Slash fans live in and what cultural impact they`re talking about no one, I repeat, no one gives two shits about Slash and Myles Kennedy except his very small fanbase Apocalypitc Love came out and then disappeared without any trace. Slash has n`t had relevance since Contraband it was lightning in the bottle and it was over his fans want to believe that their hero is cultural icon or Rock god but in reality he is n`t. King of Chaos is borderline embarrasaing, pathethic and cringeworthy Slash demoted himself to stepping on stage with has beens from Def Leppard and covered their shitty songs. Contractually obliged to appear on time ? rat`s ass, that`ll never happen and he will never allow others to have as much power and control as he has, he never did and there`s no sign that he will do in foreseeable future. If reunion ever happens, which is highly unlikely, it`ll be on Axl`s terms, not Slash`s.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

the thing I think makes this different though is the material is burnt out.

Axl has done 10 years of tours playing essentially the same hits set with the new band. Sure people would go nuts for the AFD lineup but on some level it's also not going to be much new. Especially because Slash and co spent years only playing a handful of  old GNR tracks...thus protecting the mystique of a lot of reunion material...but the gloves came off in the myles era and post-axl missing the RRHOF and these days Slash is out there doing jungle, scom, the godfather, civil war etc.

Only thing I can think of that still has that old school stuff are maybe DTJ, Coma, The Garden, Perfect Crime etc...but it's all a bunch of stuff Axl doesn't do anymore anyway.

Let's face it if they have a reunion it's going to be a KOC style or modern GNR setlist...and I dunno how jazzed people are to hear that for the 3rd time this year in their home town.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

. No offense but I don`t really understand in what headspace some Slash fans live and what cultural impact they`re talking about no one, I repeat, no one gives two shits about Slash

I'm not so sure about that.

Slash gets constant high-profile guest spots on established artists tracks. He's the industry go-to guy for solos.

He's very well known for guitar hero as well.

Media whore or whatever you want to call it, but Slash and his image and his status as an all-time great guitarist is well over with the media and the music press.

Axl on the other hand is known for being awesome in his heyday, but stories about him these days always focus on what's been lost not what is still around. frankly he's starting to get media reputation only as a sort of Michael Jackson figure - who looks odd and behaves worse.

Slash would be better known by average kids than Axl these days.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

It comes down to how current:

Slash:

GNR (got attention), Snakepit (didn't), VR (got attention), Guitar Hero (got attention), Myles (mild attention)

Axl:

GNR (got attention), VOID OF TIME WITH ONLY NEGATIVE PRESS, Modern GNR (mild attention - much of it negative)

Axl's only bargaining chip is the name and the legitimacy he adds, but at some point, especially if he stays out of physical and vocal shape, and doesn't amend his traits that have always been off-putting to the others,  the that chip is not going to have he value it once did.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:

I`d hardly call Slash a " cultural icon " he`s a commercial darling.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

^ That's just the point though: commercial darling = has enough fame and money without dealing with Axl's late starts and inability to release new music = no reason to reunite.

Maybe he'd do it as a one off for some absurd some of money from Live Nation or whatever - but for anything long term there's no motivation to put up with the bullshit and hangers on.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

It`s not like Axl wanted reunion that much and if anyone thinks that if someday Axl decides to mend fences with Slash, offer him a gig and Slash will refuse, they`re in denial to say the least. Whether someone likes it or not ball is in Axl`s court when it comes to reunion not Slash`s, Izzy`s or Duff`s.

But if he wants to mend the fence, my suggestion to you is that he will find he is given terms not making them.

Yes I believe their is a circumstance where Slash will perform with him again, and I believe it would be something like this:

2. Axl is contractually obliged to appear on time and if he doesn't he pays the damage

On his own he's able to release music (not hoard it), play many more shows than Axl a year, and get as much if not more media attention and popular culture impact than Axl, and if he wants to relive the past there's stuff like Kings of Chaos on tap..

I know I sound all fanboy saying those things, but the truth is I'm a fanboy of both, I'm just saying the era where GNR would reunite and it means something is gone, all that could happen now IMO is a one-off novelty reunion and really doing that amounts to Slash accepting a whole lot of problems back into his life. So unless he was paid hundreds of millions or had complete control I don't see why he'd bother.

It boils down to one simple thing, Axl does n`t want to do anything with Slash and therefore, he does n`t want reunion. No offense but I don`t really understand in what headspace some Slash fans live and what cultural impact they`re talking about no one, I repeat, no one gives two shits about Slash and Myles Kennedy except his very small fanbase Apocalypitc Love came out and then disappeared without any trace. Slash has n`t had relevance since Contraband it was lightning in the bottle and it was over his fans want to believe that their hero is cultural icon or Rock god but in reality he is n`t. King of Chaos is borderline embarrasaing, pathethic and cringeworthy Slash demoted himself to stepping on stage with has beens from Def Leppard and covered their shitty songs. Contractually obliged to appear on time ? rat`s ass, that`ll never happen and he will never allow others to have as much power and control as he has, he never did and there`s no sign that he will do in foreseeable future. If reunion ever happens, which is highly unlikely, it`ll be on Axl`s terms, not Slash`s.

You really have no idea what you're talking about... 14 14 14

Slash with Myles Kennedy played sold out shows in Australia in 2012 at bigger venues than VR ever did, and Slash's solo material is on regular rotation on local rock radio too.
That's hardly a small fanbase like you're suggesting. Slash IS a rock icon to the general public, that's not just fanboy talk as much as you'd like to think it is.

As for Kings of Chaos, they played Stone Music Festival in Australia this year alongside the likes of Van Halen and Aerosmith, and were considered one of the best bands to play on the bill by many who attended, myself included. Nothing cringe worthy or embarrassing there mate... 22

As much as of a fan of Axl's I am, Axl's "late" thing just comes across as prima donna, when he can actually come out on time if he HAS to.
And if he couldn't do that as a compromise for Slash and the others for a reunion show, if that ever were to happen (when thats really not that much to ask), it just shows how much power has gotten to his head.

I agree that the ship has sailed, and the ex-members have nothing really to gain from getting together with him again, when their own careers are doing fine without Axl's drama.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

All that said in my heart I think Axl still has a couple of amazing songs left in him.

I just can't see it happening with the old gnr line up anymore.

I think Axl will eventually release CD2, and Slash will continue doing things under his own banner.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It boils down to one simple thing, Axl does n`t want to do anything with Slash and therefore, he does n`t want reunion. No offense but I don`t really understand in what headspace some Slash fans live and what cultural impact they`re talking about no one, I repeat, no one gives two shits about Slash and Myles Kennedy except his very small fanbase Apocalypitc Love came out and then disappeared without any trace. Slash has n`t had relevance since Contraband it was lightning in the bottle and it was over his fans want to believe that their hero is cultural icon or Rock god but in reality he is n`t. King of Chaos is borderline embarrasaing, pathethic and cringeworthy Slash demoted himself to stepping on stage with has beens from Def Leppard and covered their shitty songs. Contractually obliged to appear on time ? rat`s ass, that`ll never happen and he will never allow others to have as much power and control as he has, he never did and there`s no sign that he will do in foreseeable future. If reunion ever happens, which is highly unlikely, it`ll be on Axl`s terms, not Slash`s.

You really have no idea what you're talking about... 14 14 14

Slash with Myles Kennedy played sold out shows in Australia in 2012 at bigger venues than VR ever did, and Slash's solo material is on regular rotation on local rock radio too.
That's hardly a small fanbase like you're suggesting. Slash IS a rock icon to the general public, that's not just fanboy talk as much as you'd like to think it is.

As for Kings of Chaos, they played Stone Music Festival in Australia this year alongside the likes of Van Halen and Aerosmith, and were considered one of the best bands to play on the bill by many who attended, myself included. Nothing cringe worthy or embarrassing there mate... 22

As much as of a fan of Axl's I am, Axl's "late" thing just comes across as prima donna, when he can actually come out on time if he HAS to.
And if he couldn't do that as a compromise for Slash and the others for a reunion show, if that ever were to happen (when thats really not that much to ask), it just shows how much power has gotten to his head.

I agree that the ship has sailed, and the ex-members have nothing really to gain from getting together with him again, when their own careers are doing fine without Axl's drama.

For one Rock icon, for another commercial darling. Different strokes for different folks bucket

Board footer