You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Re: Random Question about Slash's top hat

Bro-mero wrote:

Is the iconic top hat that Slash wears the same one that he's been wearing for decades, or does he own more than one that all look similar??

I ask this because earlier photos of his hat don't look the same as newer photos of it

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The real Slash top hat is a hat Slash stole in 1985 from Retail Slut a clothing store in CA.

This was prior to the band signing to a label and the guys were poor.

He needed something for a gig at the whiskey bar that night, and is said to have shoplifted the hat simply by putting it on his head and walking out of the store, it suited him so much that no one seemed to notice and was able to just casually walk away rather than have to run.

Upon deciding the hat looked plain when he got home, he decided to pimp it out by cutting a concho belt he'd also stolen from Leather Treasures in half and decorating the hat with parts of the belt. Thus the hat was born and slash has had it ever since, although the hat was briefly stolen in 2005 but Slash eventually recovered it after it's loss made media attention.

So that's the official hat, although in a fan forum interview in 2002 when asked how many hats he said Slash responded "I have 3 good hats" - which I presume means he has replicas 2 of which he likes.

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

So that's the official hat, although in a fan forum interview in 2002 when asked how many hats he said Slash responded "I have 3 good hats" - which I presume means he has replicas 2 of which he likes.

yeah that sounds about right! The older top hat used during the GN'R days had sort of a fuzzy look to it, while pictures of Slash's top hat nowadays is very leathery, and obviously made of leather

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

upon further examination, it seems pretty obvious he does not own 1 singular top hat

50955389-Slash.jpg

10992024-large.jpg

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

In a twist of irony, I believe that fuzzy hat was actually stolen a few years ago, and that's why he now has the leathery one, which I believe is a similar fuzzy one with leather patched over it.

Edit. I see that Monkey mentioned that already

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

He wears a flash one here

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I remember Slash saying that he does own a couple more different styles of top hats. Lemmy and I think Dave Grohl gave him a couple custom made ones! smile

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

NS_06SLASH_17902791.jpg

dsc0040.jpg

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Yeah..please..Slash don't ever wear that again.  Everything else your doing is a-ok! 22

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Yeah..please..Slash don't ever wear that again.  Everything else your doing is a-ok! 22

I guess that stuff went for a charity auction.

Board footer