You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Pretty cool video interview with Fortus

monkeychow wrote:

great video thanks!

Fortus has such impressive chops. I'm a big fan. I really like the way he plays things too. Killer technique but also tastefully done.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
otto wrote:

So that puts Better in the timeline AFTER 2002. Good source for Whispers.
smile

That would put it into 2003.

"Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose wandered into the Crazy Horse Too in Las Vegas Wednesday morning (July 16) and treated the nearly empty strip club to a preview of tracks from his band's long-delayed Chinese Democracy album." (MTV, 07/17/03)

"Our first leaks [presumably Better, There Was A Time and IRS, leaked in early '06] were from using a sound system in a strip club in the early hours when it was basically empty. I went there [in 2003] to play the tracks for someone I was interested in working with. I'd gone there with a guy who worked band security, who was allegedly somehow related to the owners, feeling it was a bit more of a protected environment than it turned out to be." (Axl, Billboard, 02/06/09)

Fits, as Bucket left at the end of the year. Which would go on to suggest the tour did work for them in terms of songwriting.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Makes sense. Specially if you compare vocals. In Better there's "old Axl", with rasp and more "power" vocally than on tracks played up until the 2002 tour (The Blues, for instance).

I'd pay with body parts to have the song breakdown yearly on the progress of CD, even with rewrites and reworks and scraps.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Of all the songs on CD, Better may be the most 'recent', aside maybe Scraped. 2003-ish, it would appear.

otto

otto wrote:

1.    "Chinese Democracy" - 1998? Josh Freese was still in the band.
2.    "Shackler's Revenge" - Most recent? 2003/2004?
3.    "Better" - 2002/2003 (when did the 2002 tour ended?)
4.    "Street of Dreams" - 1999/2000
5.    "If the World" - ?
6.    "There Was a Time" - 1998/1999
7.    "Catcher in the Rye" - 1999?
8.    "Scraped" - 2003/2004? Prior to Bucket leaving in 2004.
9.    "Riad N' the Bedouins" - ?
10.    "Sorry" - 2002/2003?
11.    "I.R.S." - 1999?
12.    "Madagascar" - 2000 (I remember it was mentioned in Vegas 00 as "just put together by the band" hence being played only in Rio)
13.    "This I Love" - 1994
14.    "Prostitute" - 1999?

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

My guesstimates. It's worth noting that some songs may have existed in some form for a good while, but it may have taken even years to flesh them out into a presentable form.

1.    "Chinese Democracy" - 1998/9 (Beavan credit)
2.    "Shackler's Revenge" - 2000
3.    "Better" - 2002/3
4.    "Street of Dreams" - 1998/9 (Beavan credit)
5.    "If the World" - 1998/9 (Beavan credit)
6.    "There Was a Time" - 1998/9 (Beavan credit)
7.    "Catcher in the Rye" - 1998/9 (Beavan credit)
8.    "Scraped" - 2003?
9.    "Riad N' the Bedouins" - 1998/9 (drum arrangement by Josh Freese) (Beavan credit)
10.    "Sorry" - 2000
11.    "I.R.S." - 1998/9 (Beavan credit)
12.    "Madagascar" - 1998 (Youth got credit on this)
13.    "This I Love" - 1993/4
14.    "Prostitute" - 1998/9 (Beavan credit)

otto

otto wrote:

If we're to believe that Better -the most recent song off of CD - only ended up on the final tracklist because of the leaks we'd have most of the album by the 2002 tour ready to release.

It's hard NOT to believe there's another album ready when you have at least 4 years with a proficient and creative line-up from 2000 ~ 2004.

Bucket, Brain, Fortus, Tommy and Finck must have written tons of songs on this period.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Well, in 2006 Axl said they have 32 songs in the running, with 26 almost completed. This jives with what Josh Freese (among others) has said about "The A-List" (the more fully-fledged, promising songs) and "The B-List" (the strange tinkerings and whatnot). The A-List is the stuff Axl likely has put more lyrics on.

Put those lists together and you get around 60-70 pieces of music, which you could call tracks, demos, sketches or whatever. The so-called cottage industry which revolved around writing about CD beforehand unfortunately diluted such simple concepts in an effort either to bolster the expectations or to single Axl out as whatever.

And whose album is it, anyway?

Axl / UYI era: 1 song
Axl, Robin, Paul Huge, Tommy, Josh Freese, Dizzy, Pitman: 9 songs

Bucket/Brain -era (following the Bob Ezrin smack): 2 songs
Fortus -era (following the '02 tour?): 2 songs

It seems Axl always wanted to put out the Sean Beavan album they worked on in '98-99, as that was the album he set out to make. Those 9-10 songs seemed to be among the dearest to him, as he placed so much work on them, with rerecorded guitars et al. Of course, there'd be enough material for another album. The question is, was most of the energy directed into completing multiple albums or constantly tinkering with individual songs?

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:

Thanks.  That was very interesting!

Ali

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Of all the songs on CD, Better may be the most 'recent', aside maybe Scraped. 2003-ish, it would appear.

Then which were the supposed "big guns", planned for the album in 2002, but not played live? roll  There was a general consensus that Better was one of them/was the big hidden gun.

Board footer