You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Pretty cool video interview with Fortus

apex-twin wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Then which were the supposed "big guns", planned for the album in 2002, but not played live? roll  There was a general consensus that Better was one of them/was the big hidden gun.

TWAT, If the World?

There are a lot of new songs that were just done in the last year that we feel that 'okay, well that bumps a lot of stuff off the previous list'. [...] I think that we'll go on to write some very interesting things with Richard and he's already done some rhythm work and some leads on the album, [...] but it's time to stop [adding new songs] now and wrap up the baby.." (Axl, GNROnline, 08/15/02)

"The first record, everything was written. I went in and rerecorded parts, but it was all written before I got in. It’s funny because that was a big part of why I was brought in. It was because of the writing. I think Axl, he wants a band that can write with him." (Richard Fortus, Ultimate Guitar, 11/26/08)

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Then which were the supposed "big guns", planned for the album in 2002, but not played live? roll  There was a general consensus that Better was one of them/was the big hidden gun.

TWAT, If the World?

There are a lot of new songs that were just done in the last year that we feel that 'okay, well that bumps a lot of stuff off the previous list'. [...] I think that we'll go on to write some very interesting things with Richard and he's already done some rhythm work and some leads on the album, [...] but it's time to stop [adding new songs] now and wrap up the baby.." (Axl, GNROnline, 08/15/02)

"The first record, everything was written. I went in and rerecorded parts, but it was all written before I got in. It’s funny because that was a big part of why I was brought in. It was because of the writing. I think Axl, he wants a band that can write with him." (Richard Fortus, Ultimate Guitar, 11/26/08)

Yeah, TWAT was one. I'm not so sure about If The World (or Prostitute). I personally don't find those any good. roll

I don't think that Axl saved his big guns for the "second album", but still don't know what they thought of.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Yeah, TWAT was one. I'm not so sure about If The World (or Prostitute). I personally don't find those any good. roll

We'd need an Axl or a band member to comment on that, to be sure. Your tastes or mine are a bit inconsequential in speculating the workings of someone else's mind, no?

Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't think that Axl saved his big guns for the "second album", but still don't know what they thought of.

"Shut up, deliver an album, fulfill the contract, move on."

Azoff made it a good deal for everybody but BestBuy.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

What is the origin of the Big Guns comment again?

I suspect there's context.

It would have to have been made at a time when the songs were unfinished for a start, and I suspect it was said when the only publicly known songs were the RIR3 performances of Madagascar, Street of Dreams and Silkworms.

So if you put yourself in their shoes, you know people have only heard Silkworms, and you know there's drafts around of TWAT and Prostitute - that regardless of the final results - at the time would have seemed like they were headed much more in the direction of an Estranged or November rain style work....and you say there's better stuff on the horizon.

I also think the same when people bash Baz and others who heard the songs prior to release for their descriptions not being accurate. Look at their situation. They're listening to in-development work with Axl himself probably in the context of a drunken night out or in a hotel on tour or whatever. It's obvious the excitement may cause descriptions to be exaggerated, or in accurate because they only heard it once or whatever.

Anyway I think the "Big Guns" remark probably just referred to some of the better songs on CD and has been blown out of proportion by the time-lag and the enthusiasm of fans.

Likewise I'm sure Axl would still have some good ideas in the vault, as there's too many talented people who have worked on this project for too long for their not to be, but I would assume they are of a similar standard to CD, not drastically better or drastically worse.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

They've played 5 new songs in RIR 2001: Oh My God, Street of Dreams, Madagascar, Silkworms and CHinese Democracy.

I still think, by 2001/2, the big guns were There Was A Time, This I Love, Prostitute and Sorry - of the songs we know of. Perhaps one of the unheard ones too?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Oh My God wasn't new music in 2001...it was released on the end of days soundtrack in 1999. smile

But that's what i'm getting at....that means in terms of unheard songs they played Chinese Democracy, Street of Dreams, Madagascar and Silkworms.

I like every song on CD in some way or another,  but I guess if it was still in a development phase and being written, it would safe to say drafts of Prostitute, This I Love, and There Was a Time, would hold a lot of potential in the minds of people working on them....they would clearly be seen as big guns compared to the tracks already displayed.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:
otto wrote:

They've played 5 new songs in RIR 2001: Oh My God, Street of Dreams, Madagascar, Silkworms and CHinese Democracy.

I still think, by 2001/2, the big guns were There Was A Time, This I Love, Prostitute and Sorry - of the songs we know of. Perhaps one of the unheard ones too?

I don't think so. Axl didn't even wanna release TIL, according to himself. Also, Sorry was supposed to be written later than Axl spoke. So it leaves TWAT, If The World and Prostitute as the "big guns". Or Shacklers? hmm

I agree with sic that my personal likings do not necessarly interfere with Axl's, but hey, how I could think of something as the awaited "big gun", when I think it sucks? I know that "de gustibus non est disputandum", but the likely list of "big guns" is just too far from my likings, when, as a fan of Axl' works, I'd except otherwise. You know, if it'd be CD, SoD, Madagascar, TIL, Sorry, Better or TWAT, I wouldn't mind - these aren't my favourite songs of all time, but I like them more or less. It's not the case with ITW and Prostitute (and Shackler's and Rhiad).

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

But compared to Silkworms and the title track...prostitute and twat WERE big guns.

Ask yourself - you hear the demo of the title track and you hear the demo of twat....

which do you think is most likely to be finished into something that fits with the past works....

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

But compared to Silkworms and the title track...prostitute and twat WERE big guns.

Ask yourself - you hear the demo of the title track and you hear the demo of twat....

which do you think is most likely to be finished into something that fits with the past works....

I like TWAT and it's one of the big guns of the album for me. The other is TIL (except the guitar solo).

My point is that CD, SoD and Madagascar are so far better songs than Prostitute or ITW, that Axl couldn't be serious thinking otherwise. Also, those are the songs he played a lot in the past 13 years. CD and SoD were even singles from the album - just to contradict his 2002 self. Would you release your B-cathegory songs as singles, and none of the ones you believe "big guns"?

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

You don't have to feel sorry to feel underwhelmed by a "big gun".

It's just a song like any other, at the end of the day.

Mikkamakka wrote:

My point is that CD, SoD and Madagascar are so far better songs than Prostitute or ITW, that Axl couldn't be serious thinking otherwise.

He could, easy. That's what I mean, it's rather dangerous to assume we know what went on in his head. When they played those songs in RIR, there was still the possibilty the album would come out that next summer.

Board footer