You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: The Terminator

Olorin wrote:

One of the finest films of the 80's?

I remember the first time I seen it, it was on channel 4 uk tv, on a friday night in the late 80's when I was a wee boy, 8 or 9 years old- after the Cheers and Roseanne slots big_smile
It was promoted for weeks and I dunno why, mabye it was a regular movie slot, but the film had a big intro by Chris Kristofferson or however the fuck its spelled, I'd love to see it again, I dunno what the fuck that was about, I'm just going by memory.

Anyway, Arnie was King of the late 80's 9 Looking back what blows my mind is, all his films were 18 certificate, but they seemed in a way aimed at kids, I was just a wee boy and my parents were reasonably strict, but they never had any problem, and neither did my friends etc's parents, with hiring out videos for the kids with Arnie in them no matter how violent they were lol. There was nothing better than relaxing with the family and throwing on an Arnie film and watching him blow shit up and beat the shit out of baddies 14

PS this video is awesome!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Terminator 5 is in the making. Going to be a semi reboot with Arnie in it.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Terminator 5 is in the making. Going to be a semi reboot with Arnie in it.

I'm really hoping it's good. I was extremely disappointed with T3 and I thought Salvation could of been so much more.  If you want a pretty fun film with Arnold in it. The Last Stand which came out several months ago was a decent flick. Arnold spewing out one liners and kicking ass for his age. It will put a smile on your face. Expendables 2 had more Arnie in it which helped the film alot and it's just blowing stuff up and embracing 80s/early 90s action film cheese. Love it.

Completely agree with Olorin on Arnie being the king of that style of film and he still is to this day. I actually prefer Judgement Day over the first one because I grew up on that film; but I still like the original and yes that intro and film score is epic! Austrian Death Machine before the singer/leader Tim Lambesis went bat shit insane and got arrested, the first two albums are fitting tributes to the Governator. The third and probably last one that will probably be out soon that I funded before all the bad news happened, is supposed to feature Ice T, a few other actors from his films, and even the man himself saying stuff with a mix of the guy who does the Arnold impressions in some of the songs. Not sure at the moment.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

T1 is quite fun, still. Lost respect in T2 after seeing a few years back and realizing it's essentially a video game with continuously rising difficulty curve; the T1000 gets more powerful on each round, climaxing on a Super Mario-like 'lava level'. T3 existed mainly to give Schwarzenegger a visibility boost prior to the gubernatorial elections. Salvation had a great many good scenes, it held itself together fairly well, and is mostly lessened by the unnecessary additions such as the heart transplant. Still not entirely a homerun, but vastly better than whatever else McG has ever done, IMO.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Not only that, T2 is an almost carbon copy of the first.

The terminator arrives, kills somebody to get clothes.

The target barely escapes before being saved by the good guy.

Road trip.

Emotional scene.

Goes back to the city, gets intercepted by the baddie.

Car chase.

Factory fight.

Baddie defeated.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

T2 changed the way all action movies were filmed forever. Amazing cinematic experience.

Me_Wise_Magic

Smoking Guns wrote:

T2 changed the way all action movies were filmed forever. Amazing cinematic experience.

FUCK YEAH! 5

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I've never really analysed T2 the way some of you have, its always been a perfect sequel to me, never really noticed a similar structure.
I've always considered T2 as the ultimate high budget action film, I think it had it all and set the bench mark for the modern era. Only problem in my eyes is I find it had the correct levels of suspense, drama, action etc.
Everything afterwards that were "high budget action movies" they just hurt my head, its all over the top and reeks of a look what we can do now attitude from the creators.
Maybe I'm just an old fart, I was 12 when T2 came out and it was the best thing I'd ever seen, maybe I became a teenager I began to outgrow action films 14

Me_Wise_Magic

Olorin wrote:

I've never really analysed T2 the way some of you have, its always been a perfect sequel to me, never really noticed a similar structure.
I've always considered T2 as the ultimate high budget action film, I think it had it all and set the bench mark for the modern era. Only problem in my eyes is I find it had the correct levels of suspense, drama, action etc.
Everything afterwards that were "high budget action movies" they just hurt my head, its all over the top and reeks of a look what we can do now attitude from the creators.
Maybe I'm just an old fart, I was 12 when T2 came out and it was the best thing I'd ever seen, maybe I became a teenager I began to outgrow action films 14

It is Cameron's best film and yes to all of this! I was just born when that movie came out; so I just remember watching it on TV years later. My dad watched it in the movie theater and him having a ton of merchandise from the movie. Even one of the PC T2 games. Also the Terminator pinball machine is one of the best. I would always come back to that movie. Hell..the special effects, car chases, and easy to follow yet heart felt storyline puts alot of these current movies to shame or bow down to it's majesty.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Cameron's best?

Personally, I'd war myself in between The Terminator and The Abyss. T2, True Lies and Avatar are competent, even if they make concessions movies of that scale simply have to make in order to attract the big crowds; namely childish plots and black/white moral compasses. This doesn't take anything away from the skill level involved in them, just saying Cameron would be a smart enough fellow to make smarter movies, if they'd let him.

I've always felt indifferent towards Aliens, for whatever reason. Can see why people like it, but it just fails to grab hold of me. Funny, that.

Board footer