You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: World Cup 2014 Thread

AtariLegend wrote:

This is the draw.

GROUP A

Brazil
Croatia
Mexico
Cameroon   

GROUP B

Spain
Netherlands
Chile
Australia

GROUP C

Colombia
Greece
Cote d'Ivoire
Japan   

GROUP D

Uruguay
Costa Rica
England
Italy

GROUP E

Switzerland
Ecuador
France
Honduras   

GROUP F

Argentina
Iran
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Nigeria

GROUP G

Germany
Portugal
Ghana
USA   

GROUP H

Belgium
Algeria
Russia
South Korea

AtariLegend wrote:

England's first match 2:AM against Italy, I don't think it's going to go well. Uruguay's attack are really strong. Only positive side for them, is the last 16 won't be too bad. I sense quarter final exit if they make it past group stages.

Would be shocked if the US does anything.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

England will do well to get out of that group. Uruguay are strong and as a home continent team have an advantage. Italy aren't great imo but passed us to death at Euro 2012.

I'm going for Argentina to win it, I think this will be Messi's tournament.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

England set to crash out of the group stages for the first time in 50 years. I feel for ol' Woy.

Germany's group look the toughest, but we'll still likely see them and Portugal demolish the US and Ghana. Other than that it looks a cake walk for all the top teams, should be some interesting knock outs.

AtariLegend wrote:

So it hasn't been a bad tournament so far. No surprises on England, it was as expected. Shame the media had start a campaign against Suarez. He deserved a ban, but took it was taken to the extreme. Anyway that ended Uruguay's chances.

The US weren't too bad this tournament, although in fairness they only beat Ghana right?

Quarter Finals start soon.

France/Germany
Brazil/Columbia
Argentina/Belgium
Holland/Costa Rica

I wouldn't be surprised if Holland capitulate before the final as they generally do. Brazil/Argentina are the 2 favourites, though neither are convincing in any way. France/Germany should be interesting, we expected Germany to perform though. France can be hit/miss, they still have a chance at the minute.

Columbia are the surprise package and Belgium I don't think will make the final (could be wrong).

A Private Eye

England did what they always do, over respect everyone. Italy and Uruguay were no better than ordinary, we could have won both those games but we beat ourselves.

The media took its chance to get back at Suarez after he knocked England out but frankly he deserved a big ban. If he can't get the message he'll keep missing chunks of his career through suspension.

Enjoyed the tournament so far, the only downside is its lacking any real quality sides. Whoever wins the cup will be remembered for winning a great tournament but not for being a great team. I think if Spain had been in an easier group and built some momentum they'd be the team to beat now but they couldn't recover from the battering by Holland.

I'm still going for Argentina, they've not been excellent but as I pocked them months ago I'll stick with it. Whilst you have Messi on your side you'll always have a chance however average the rest of you are.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Been a Germany fan since 2000 and was very happy with yesterdays match. For the neutral fan it must surely have been dreadful, but as a fan it was composed, tactical, energy conserving and effective. Just like the old school German teams played it. I see them grinding out a very ugly, boring win in Brazil and then return to their former position as most hated team (and country) on the continent. But they will be champions, and that's all that matters.

Or so I hope.

Either way, they set a new record. 4 semi finals in a row (5 if we count the Euros). Klose if he comes on on Tuesday I think might have played in all of them? That is extremely impressive from a footballer, keeping that level for 12 years.

AtariLegend wrote:

Well Germany tonight recorded one of the biggest results in football history. On the other hand Brazil might as well have played with 1 defender and a goal keeper.

Defending was shocking and at even at 5-0 the defenders were spending more time running to attack than defend. Only themselves to blame.

AtariLegend wrote:

Well the Germans rule the world again.

I don't think they are truly one of the best teams I've seen in my life time anyway, but they were consistent. The other teams weren't.

Brazil fell apart the first time they faced one of the big guns and France like Argentina never really got out of 2nd gear, they just beat sides that didn't put up much of a fight. Argentina tonight didn't have 1 shot on target and I don't think France were much better, so were Germany really tested? Doesn't matter now. This version of the team will be remembered as the champions that hammered Brazil 7-1.

I wish Spain actually had the motivation to win a 4th tournament in a row, Italy had been better and Portugal had a fit Ronaldo. It might have been more interesting. Almost every match past the group stages was predictable.

A Private Eye

Like I said above there were no great teams this year unfortunately. Then again maybe it's the confidence of winning a tournament that makes a team go from good to great. Spain went from strength to strength after 08, could easily be in for a period of German dominance now, I certainly don't see anyone challenging them at the next Euros besides maybe a rejuvinated Spain.

Enjoyable tournament overall, not sure it's been the greatest ever like some are claiming though. Also gutted to see Ronaldos goal record fall to Klose. It's like watching someone break the land speed record in a Transit Van.

Board footer