You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: HBO's True Detective

johndivney wrote:

Wow. All time classic case of shit the bed.

His ears were painted green. Yea it's a common problem. Can't tell you how often I've been painting & somehow my ears get covered in it.

This show was so full of shit. Had no intention of delivering all it promised in those first 3 episodes then completely undermined itself @ the end.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Show was so badass. About the characters, not the plot

johndivney wrote:

ha
bullshit

by ur logic it's ok to have a crappy ending to the case because it was a character driven show? that doesn't seem odd to you? why does there have to be a trade-off or excuses? why can't things deliver across the board?

the show was a cheeseball mess by the end & the writer took all the wrong decisions & it blew up in all our faces.

at least it was funny, however unintentional. if it had of just been crap i'd have been pissed off, but it was so stoopid it was funny.

there were so many outrageous set pieces, symbolism, themes & directions they could have gone. so many far more interesting dead ends & red herrings only to end at a dumb guy who got paint on his freaking ears! the show was ultimately cheap as chips - especially how come the lawnmower/painter guys make-up changed every episode, cheap as chips bullshit.

after episode 3/4 it was p obv they weren't going to pull it off. i didn't expect them to quite shit the bed so perfectly tho with the green ears leap.
the rest of the episode was weak as piss too. cliched stroll thru a labyrinth, the weird breakingbad sniper moment, the bromance. the fight was ok but even then it was pretty dense could've been better if rust & lawnmower guy had a chance to talk some??
whatever.

so it goes. doubt i'll stick around for s02.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Man, this is a love it or hate it show.

johndivney wrote:

nah it's really not
it might get to be that if people are crazy enough to defend it
but nobody is going to get offended by it to hate it.
it had a lot of good but ultimately was really limited & carried over the likes of the killing or top of the lake due to hbo's production values, a-list talent & absolutely nothing else of substance. it was fun & all, but flawed & dumb. not really truly terrible hateable tv like say american horror story etc proper love/hate shows.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

McCoughnehey should win a Best Actor Emmy the same year as his Oscar.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Yep, fantastic performance. I would give a nod to Woody too if McCoughney wasn't also so great. It's been cool to see two guys who've been pretty much marginalized in the spot light for a long time deliver great performances in a hit show. They deserve it.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
johndivney wrote:

ha
bullshit

by ur logic it's ok to have a crappy ending to the case because it was a character driven show? that doesn't seem odd to you? why does there have to be a trade-off or excuses? why can't things deliver across the board?

the show was a cheeseball mess by the end & the writer took all the wrong decisions & it blew up in all our faces.

at least it was funny, however unintentional. if it had of just been crap i'd have been pissed off, but it was so stoopid it was funny.

there were so many outrageous set pieces, symbolism, themes & directions they could have gone. so many far more interesting dead ends & red herrings only to end at a dumb guy who got paint on his freaking ears! the show was ultimately cheap as chips - especially how come the lawnmower/painter guys make-up changed every episode, cheap as chips bullshit.

after episode 3/4 it was p obv they weren't going to pull it off. i didn't expect them to quite shit the bed so perfectly tho with the green ears leap.
the rest of the episode was weak as piss too. cliched stroll thru a labyrinth, the weird breakingbad sniper moment, the bromance. the fight was ok but even then it was pretty dense could've been better if rust & lawnmower guy had a chance to talk some??
whatever.

so it goes. doubt i'll stick around for s02.

I agree how the plot played out was far from omg fantastic, but I don't see much inconsistency either. It was a show based around 2 great actors, solving an entertaining enough case without being overly cliche, but obviously cliche, some loose threads, but also a few snippets of interesting mysticism (though it's always very low key).  I felt they were always aiming somewhat low, giving different groups of audiences enough pieces to be entertained, and they achieved that.

Could it have been better? Definitely. But I don't see how they dropped any balls either. They wanted a well acted, well filmed, well entertaining show with some bits and pieces of philosophy and mystique thrown in, and we got that.

You perhaps wanted to see 13 episode season without the filler delving much deeper into the mysteries? I would have dug that, but I think it became apparent pretty early on this wasn't going to happen. In that sense I can see how you're disappointed, yet I think the ride was rewarding enough. Much like Game of Thrones I gave up expecting too much from that show after the first season. They are both solid 7 outta 10s, but that's also all they ever will be.

johndivney wrote:

all i know is in 6 months time when someone asks me what i thought of true detective all i'm going to be able to say is, "green paint".
or maybe, "green paint on his ears." smh.

Axlin12 wrote:

you yanks get soft about the funniest stuff.
this guy is the top of his profession? & you're PROUD of it?!

i thought woody was truly excellent in this. mcc had the easy job. woody crafted an instantly recognizable & deeply unlikeable everyman. he knocked it out of the park.
leo was robbed at the oscars. the palsy scene alone is a physical comedy masterclass.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I was not let down. I really think the show was fantastic!  The characters evolved so much by the end.

Board footer