You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: HBO's True Detective

johndivney wrote:

Fargo S01 > True Det S01

Fargo S02 > True Det S02

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

No fucking way Fargo Season 1 was better than True Detective Season 1. No chance.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Binged watched the series getting ready for season 2. Good God that was a great show. I can't see how they can match it. Bringing in the F&F director was dumb. They could have had their pick of killer directors, why him? They could have got Michael Mann, who this guy is obviously trying to copy. I'm excited but with tempered expectations.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Maybe Michael Mann refuses to work with HBO after they basically bailed on him and David Milch after the disaster of Luck. HBO acted like they would back them, then when ratings slid and the animal rights-religion fascists made a big deal about the show, HBO completely rolled Mann/Milch under the bus and bailed on the series.

Either way, even when you watched True Detective Season 1, but ESPECIALLY watching TD Season 2 previews, and seeing Colin Ferrell, almost all of it is heavily influenced/lifted from Michael Mann's modern films like Insider, Ali, and especially Collateral and Miami Vice 2006.

Just fucking call Mann. Unless they did, and Mann wanted to PRODUCE the series and not direct it and wanting creative control and was told to pound sand.

I watched Manhunter the other day, and was just astonished how ahead of its time it was. SO many guys lifted/were inspired by that film. From Seven to CSI to Criminal Minds to Bone Collector to The Following to True Detective to American Crime... so much shit is on right now that was influenced by Manhunter.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Maybe Michael Mann refuses to work with HBO after they basically bailed on him and David Milch after the disaster of Luck. HBO acted like they would back them, then when ratings slid and the animal rights-religion fascists made a big deal about the show, HBO completely rolled Mann/Milch under the bus and bailed on the series.

Either way, even when you watched True Detective Season 1, but ESPECIALLY watching TD Season 2 previews, and seeing Colin Ferrell, almost all of it is heavily influenced/lifted from Michael Mann's modern films like Insider, Ali, and especially Collateral and Miami Vice 2006.

Just fucking call Mann. Unless they did, and Mann wanted to PRODUCE the series and not direct it and wanting creative control and was told to pound sand.

I watched Manhunter the other day, and was just astonished how ahead of its time it was. SO many guys lifted/were inspired by that film. From Seven to CSI to Criminal Minds to Bone Collector to The Following to True Detective to American Crime... so much shit is on right now that was influenced by Manhunter.

I think Mann pulled the plug on Luck himself because of the horse deaths. There was just no justification for it and he took the bullet on it. And he gets obsessively immersed in his work, and he was involved in Blackhat while this series was being put together.

I totally agree with Manhunter. I love Mann. My big problem with him as of late is how procedural his work is when he writes. I mean, every character is void of personality and is too one note and cold in their dialogue. See Miami Vice. Collateral had great characters and interactions because he didn't write it. Blackhat looks identical to Miami Vice; a beautifully and cooly shot film with wooden machines for characters.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Pretty disappointed in the first episode. Colin Farrell's beat down of the bully's dad was pretty awesome though.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Collin Farrell was terrible in Miami Vice and seems to be playing the same role here. The mustache is terrible too. Slow first episode.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Quick question, do I need to have seen Season 1 to watch the new season or are they independent of each other?

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

They are separate stories with different characters.

However, I recommend S1, best TV in a long while, aside the ending, of course wink

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Someone said they saw a yellow king reference in the man's house "casper" maybe.... A painting maybe? I missed it.

Board footer