You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Robin Finck first substantial interview on how he got GNR gig

Also, interesting to note that Finck presumably played with "the original band minus Slash" – by which I'm assuming he meant Axl, Paul Tobias, Matt Sorum and Duff. What I'd give to hear the tapes from those sessions...

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

"I played with Robin a few times and he's a great guy." (Duff, Hard Force, 07/99)

Theoretically, those tapes do exist.

otto wrote:

Exactly. Robin was Axl's ticket to a new band. DJ is a ticket to nostalgia land.

Axl's idea of an AFD reunion would be himself, Duff, Izzy, Frank and DJ.

Robin would've made a wonderful lead guitarist in a new Axl-fronted band, without the baggage of the old. Robin and Bucket just aren't the guys you hire to glamorize on the hair metal heyday and ride the nostalgia train - they're in fact exactly the opposite. Looking back, this should've been obvious. At hindsight, smart money would've  put the GNR name on hiatus for one album, then return to it with some new players & musical direction.

Of course, everything I just said would require releasing new music, and that's hard with a person like Axl.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Here in Brazil exactly that happened with a band called Engenheiros do Hawaii... They were pretty popular in the 80/90's but in 95 they broke up. In 98, the lead singer released a self titled album with a trio and in 99 he released an album as Engenheiros do Hawaii with the same band plus a keyboard player.

It worked and I can see that working as Guns also.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

apex-twin wrote:

"I played with Robin a few times and he's a great guy." (Duff, Hard Force, 07/99)

Theoretically, those tapes do exist.

otto wrote:

Exactly. Robin was Axl's ticket to a new band. DJ is a ticket to nostalgia land.

Axl's idea of an AFD reunion would be himself, Duff, Izzy, Frank and DJ.

Robin would've made a wonderful lead guitarist in a new Axl-fronted band, without the baggage of the old.

It would've been genuinely fascinating if Axl had managed to keep the Duff/Matt/Huge/Robin/Dizzy lineup active – you'd have Robin's distinctive guitar style, which is very different from Slash's, but none of the baggage of "breaking up the old band," since most of 'em would still have been present.

The publicity would've been very different; there would still have been naysayers, but it would've reconfigured GN'R as a band more along the lines of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, where the guitarist slot has been filled by a number of different people.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
otto wrote:

It worked and I can see that working as Guns also.

Nope, damage already done with GN'R at this point.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Wow, he's going to do a solo album? Fucking finally. It's been so frustrating knowing he's capable of stuff like the TIL solo and seeing him relegated to chugging away next to Trent on rhythm tracks. And knowing that the only solo showcase for him is a couple of Chinese Democracy tracks, Ghosts of Mars and a Cee Lo Green song.  Ever since seeing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzEU_MnZdHg

I've been waiting for him to round up a decent drummer in the Dave Grohl mould and a Robert Plant-esque singer and become, essentially, the new Led Zeppelin.

Yeah, Robin played that solo when they toured Australia in 2007 too. Some pretty cool soulful blues playing there, in typical Robin style.
But to me it's more along the lines of Stevie Ray Vaughan than Jimmy Page though

It's less about the style of his playing than that I'd love to see him in one of those 1970s-style bands where there's one guitarist with a unique tone who defines the band. Like Queen or Zeppelin. No fucking about with rhythm players, just a stripped-back beast of a band.

Alternatively, lock Finck and Jack White in a room until they produce an album.

It was cool hearing Robin say he wanted to just jam to some AC/DC. You wouldn't have expected that from him. smile

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Jack and Robin would make an interesting pair that's for sure. From his description of his own solo album, it seems like he'll be doing a majority of the singing. Perhaps a few guests trading off vocals..not sure! Also since Robin plays bass and keyboards as well as guitar, it would be nice to see him explore more of doing multiple instruments on recordings. You got a little of that with "Better". Still want to see that Shaq jam recording in the future.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I continue to be amazed how much discussion the community is able to squeeze out of a stone.

My opinion is that such a band very likely could have happened and succeeded if Matt and Duff had stayed on, then maybe add Izzy for some writing and the odd appearance.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

speaking of lost recordings, give me the slash and zakk sessions anyday over any other period. love to hear what that sounded like. isn't there some quote out there that says it was like gnr on steroids or something?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Just read that NIN will be joining QOTSA, Dave Grohl, and Lindsay Buckingham to close out the Grammy's this Sunday.

http://www.noise11.com/news/grammy-awar … -279125517

Board footer