You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Smoking cessation

apex-twin wrote:

One month down.

Still get cravings now and then.

Anybody tried this?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I went without one for 3 days in the army once. It was tough.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I wish you the best in quitting.  I'm lucky in that I never really was much of a smoker, but I can tell you endlessly the benefits of not smoking & living healthy.  Try running now & then if you can, you'd be surprised at the adrenaline rush you get from it.  Don't worry, even if its only a mile or so, lol.  In a week you'll be close to 3.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I went without one for 3 days in the army once. It was tough.

Looking back, it was the army that got me into smoking regular in the first place.

I remember, for the first few days, smoking was banned among recruits. Sure ticked some people off.

PaSnow wrote:

Try running now & then if you can, you'd be surprised at the adrenaline rush you get from it.  Don't worry, even if its only a mile or so, lol.  In a week you'll be close to 3.

I'm an active runner, so it'll be interesting to see how the body'll handle itself once the snows clear. smile

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Many years ago I read the book "allen carr's easy way to stop smoking". I lasted 24 hours without wanting a ciggie, but the following day was my 23rd birthday so I ended up smoking whilst out with friends celebrating (drunk). I still smoke 6 years later, though I'm confident that if I read the book again I'll do much better - and since it's been on my mind a lot lately I'll be digging out my copy of the book soon I'm sure smile

Using psychotherapy, the method works in the opposite way to the “willpower” method. It does not concentrate on the reasons the smoker should not smoke : the money, the slavery, the health risks and the stigma. Smokers know all that already. Instead it focuses on why smokers continue to smoke in spite of the obvious disadvantages.

It is fear that keeps smokers hooked!

Fear the smoker will have to give up their pleasure or crutch. Fear the smoker will be unable to enjoy life or handle stress. Fear the smoker will have to go through an awful trauma to get free. Fear the smoker will never get completely free from the craving.

The method removes these fears

Smokers quit smoking with Allen Carr’s Easyway Method as happy non-smokers, not feeling deprived but with a huge sense of relief and elation that they have finally achieved what they always wanted… TO BE FREE!

What about the terrible withdrawal pangs from nicotine?

The physical withdrawal from nicotine is so slight that most smokers don’t realise that they are addicts. What smokers suffer when they try and quit using other methods is the misery and depression caused by the belief that they are being deprived of a pleasure or a crutch.

Allen Carr’s Easyway Method removes this feeling of deprivation.

It removes the need and desire to smoke. Once the smoker is in the right frame of mind and they follow the simple instructions, the physical withdrawal from nicotine is hardly noticeable.

No Gimmicks!

The Method does not use any gimmicks, useless aids or substitutes. No nicotine gum, patches, lozenges, tabs, inhilators or nasal sprays! No needles! No lasers! No drugs! No herbs! No shock treatment!

Allen Carr’s Easyway Method is successful because:

- It removes the smokers’ conflict of will.
- There are no bad withdrawal pangs.
- It is instantaneous and easy.
- It is equally effective for long-term heavy smokers and light smokers.
- You need not gain weight.
- You will not miss smoking.

I realise it's a pretty crappy recommendation, considering the fact that I still smoke, but when Allen Carr died it did make the national TV news here in the UK because his method has helped millions of people to quit smoking smile

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Will wrote:

Many years ago I read the book "allen carr's easy way to stop smoking". I lasted 24 hours without wanting a ciggie, but the following day was my 23rd birthday so I ended up smoking whilst out with friends celebrating (drunk). I still smoke 6 years later,

Boy that sounds like a roaring endorsement if I ever heard one wink

j/k

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Carr's clinics claim 90% success rate in helping smokers stop for three months, and 51% success rate in helping smokers stop for 12 months. - Wiki

Clinic is arguably a more robust cessation method than a book as you get a controlled environment and dedicated human support. Out of ten people, nine will have 12 weeks without smoking. Four of them will lapse during the following 40 weeks. 18

Interestingly, there seems to be a consensus among cessation studies on success rates. Going from three to six months appears to be the clincher; get past that - down to a year, even - and you're highly unlikely to start smoking again regularly. Powerful drug, for sure. A friend of mine lapsed after a six-month cessation over 20 years ago, I understand he smokes to this day.

As for me, was in the water for the first time since quitting. Swimming felt quite amazing smile

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

Dude... Electronic cigarettes... Not the shitty ones at Wal-Mart/ gas stations... The higher end shit.

Yesterday marked a YEAR since I've smoked a butt. I was a pack and a half to 2 packs a day.. I LOVE(D) smoking.. once I jumped down the internet rabbit hole of the e cig online community, it sorta consumed me, and is now a serious hobby.

I tried it all.. the gum, the patch, the lozenges.. Fuck Chantix.. I heard that shit makes you wanna kill yourself...

Check it out, and if you have questions, lemme know.. I'm kind of an expert on these things now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Vaping101 5

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Some mates use e-cigs and seems to work for them. I have an eGo-t in the house, used it for a while but kind of let it go... It never quite worked for me and the spark didn't pick up. I appreciate the less smoke, better smell/taste, the ability for  indoor use, etc. It has a lot of upsides compared to traditional cigs. I was using non-nicotine solutions with it, so it did little to cater my nicotine addiction. That was probably the thing that pushed me away from it.

Furbush wrote:

Fuck Chantix.. I heard that shit makes you wanna kill yourself...

Oh, yeah. I looked at a listing of possible side effects, which include

Anxiety, confusion, depression, restlessness, or mood changes.
Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat.
Lumps on your neck, armpit, or groin.
Seeing or hearing things that are not really there.
Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.

Seriously. Nicotine withdrawal is no cakewalk, but this Chantix seems to completely mess people up.

1,5 months and counting. smile

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I've been trying to quit seriously for a year now.  Ill go a couple of weeks cold turkey but I always end up having one and it always turns into more. I started back in high school or the year after. So like almost 14 years now. I live(d) hard enough already so its time to start eliminating vices quick. Smoking will be the first to go. I tried e cigs too but not as I was quitting. Too be honest all it did was make me want a real cigarette.

Board footer