You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: GnR in Vegas 2014

Smoking Guns wrote:

TWat was amazing.

Lomax wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

This is just awesome, you do hear him calling the hardest they do at the end though.

Wow. Those are some great performances.
I almost wish that the upcoming Vegas DVD was of these shows. It's great to see the band and their singer on fire!

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

DAMN Axl sounds fucking fantastic. this is the best I've ever heard him perform TWAT. sounds like 2010

Still would love to hear Slash solo on this.... Don't feel Ron's at all.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nieYFl-N9xI

From Next night without the annoying drunk guy.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I really love Ron as a person, but originally I called him "Gilby Clarke of Shredders" and I think I was spot on. A great ambassador for the band, but I just don't dig the guy as a guitarist. Slash originally, and incorrectly labeled Buckethead as "no feel"... Bucket's got as much feel and soul as Slash.

Ron is one that I just cannot for the life of me identify his feel/soul as a guitarist. Even his all original/rearrangements on Chinese were forgettable (he ruined Catcher, and Axl should've been SHOT of entertaining altering Brian May--wtf-x-infinity).

I enjoy SOME of Ron's takes (Estranged for one), but I this current band (right now), Richard is the super-star. Robin was a waste as well, and I am honest, I do miss the days of looking forward to hearing a guitar take, and that hasn't been in the band since Bucket sadly. Hopefully Richard gets more and more to do in the band.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I've been more impressed with Richard with each tour.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah I gotta admit, all those years I was with Lofton and others bagging on the "Richard is the secret weapon" nutswingers... but it appears time has vidicated them. As well as history, when it was exposed that Richard was originally supposed to take over lead guitar duties TWICE with the intention of Izzy returning full-time, that never manifested.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Yeah I've been a fan of fortus playing and I even like Ron as both a guitar player and good person. It just kills me when I read some of those stories of Axl saying that Richard was laying down some cool bluesy solos and lead/rhythm guitar parts on some CD tracks and you can't even hear any of that on the final studio version. Even though he is in the album notes/credits. Maybe he had some killer riffs locked away in the "vault" or on a computer somewhere. His Bond solo kicks so much and really shows he so many great things to add to a new studio album with his years of live playing. He complements both eras of GNR live material. He gets better and better in all honestly.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

when it was exposed that Richard was originally supposed to take over lead guitar duties TWICE with the intention of Izzy returning full-time, that never manifested.

Never heard of that! Got any quotes?

That would be very interesting, musically wise, despite the fact of having a doppelganger on stage!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Can't remember where those interviews/quotes came from, but I definitely read them from newssources. The first Izzy one was around 2001-02 area during the whole shakeup of Robin was in, then Robin was out, then Robin was back in, and all of the sudden Buckethead was in as an additional guitarist out of nowhere. There was an actual story I read that basically said that Richard had already been contacted before even the Rio show. Now whether or not that was to take Robin's job or Paul's job... who knows. Izzy did a seperate interview that said he was contacted around 2000-01 about coming back, and talks broke down, and then he went on a rant about how Axl was a dictator and fuck that noise and really painted Axl as a nazi, and showed his loyalty for Slash from that point forward, until 2006 when he did shows with Axl and that verson of the band. One is to assume that Paul (as well as Gilby) were both always considered a benchwarmer for Izzy's return, as Paul (and Axl) never took Paul serious as a full-time guy, and Gilby's made other similar remarks as well.

Now the other statements came from Richard himself where he said he was considered for lead guitar duties from day one and that he was only relegated to rhythm guitar duties because Axl suddenly got a bug up his ass about Buckethead joining the band (not Richard's words).

This is why (the second time), that when Ron was brought in in 2006, that the band cold shouldered him the way they did, and according to Ron to this day. Richard was supposed to take back over where he was supposed to be back at lead guitar 2 with Robin.

Which leads the question.... who the fuck was supposed to be at rhythm guitar?

Board footer