You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: GnR in Vegas 2014

Smoking Guns wrote:

The rhythm guy should be a strong song writer. Of the current line up, I would have to put DJ in at rhythm duties.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Can't remember where those interviews/quotes came from, but I definitely read them from newssources. The first Izzy one was around 2001-02 area during the whole shakeup of Robin was in, then Robin was out, then Robin was back in, and all of the sudden Buckethead was in as an additional guitarist out of nowhere. There was an actual story I read that basically said that Richard had already been contacted before even the Rio show. Now whether or not that was to take Robin's job or Paul's job... who knows. Izzy did a seperate interview that said he was contacted around 2000-01 about coming back, and talks broke down, and then he went on a rant about how Axl was a dictator and fuck that noise and really painted Axl as a nazi, and showed his loyalty for Slash from that point forward, until 2006 when he did shows with Axl and that verson of the band. One is to assume that Paul (as well as Gilby) were both always considered a benchwarmer for Izzy's return, as Paul (and Axl) never took Paul serious as a full-time guy, and Gilby's made other similar remarks as well.

Now the other statements came from Richard himself where he said he was considered for lead guitar duties from day one and that he was only relegated to rhythm guitar duties because Axl suddenly got a bug up his ass about Buckethead joining the band (not Richard's words).

This is why (the second time), that when Ron was brought in in 2006, that the band cold shouldered him the way they did, and according to Ron to this day. Richard was supposed to take back over where he was supposed to be back at lead guitar 2 with Robin.

Which leads the question.... who the fuck was supposed to be at rhythm guitar?

Richard on his audition... He was supposed to have Bucket's slot..

otto

otto wrote:

Also, more from Richard:

Did you immediately know that you had a musical connection with Axl and the rest of the band? 
Tommy and Brain (aka Brian Mantia), I've worked with both of them before. Buckethead was there at that time, and I came in and was brought in to replace Paul, who had been writing with Axl and I guess he was a childhood friend of his. He was no longer there for whatever reason, and they were looking for someone to fill that spot.   It's funny because 2 years before, I had gotten a call to come in and audition for them. This was before I knew Tommy. I had gotten a call to audition, but then Buckethead got the gig before I came out. I was scheduled to come out and audition. They called and said, Yeah, we want to fly you out this week. I was going to be there anyway doing sessions, so I could do it at that time. They said, Perfect. I didn't hear back from them, so I just figured, Well, it must not be happening.   I got out to do the session, and Tommy Stinson and Josh Freese were on the session that I was doing for Yoshiki, ironically enough. So I said, Hey, I was supposed to come and audition for you guys this week. They were like, Yeah! You're the guy! Well, Axl found this guy Buckethead and we just stopped doing auditions. Axl was convinced with Buckethead, so it was no problem. No big deal. A few years later another guitar player left, so that's when I got the call. That was in 2001.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/intervie … _tone.html

This part is interesting, again with the multiple albums concept:

How involved were you with the writing of Chinese Democracy? 

The first record, everything was written. I went in and rerecorded parts, but it was all written before I got in. It's funny because that was a big part of why I was brought in. It was because of the writing. I think Axl, he wants a band that can write with him. That's always put into consideration.

otto

otto wrote:

About Izzy, this is the best that I could find.

http://www.chinesedemocracy.com/forum/i … ic=49804.0

Perhaps this part got you confused, Axlin?

"A hypothetical question then: Axl’s [solo] album flops, and he offers you all the chance to get back together - just like Aerosmith and Black Sabbath - would you do it? I mean, assuming Axl would be… “… broke?” he cuts in with a laugh. “I could hear the call.” Goes into gruff Axl impersonation: “‘You know, I've been, ah, thinking’. He talks really slow when he gets an idea like that. ‘Aahhh, I've been thinking…’ And I'd be thinking, ‘He must be broke’,” he chuckles. “That’s how I imagine the call.”

He says the band still get hopeful promoters trying to tempt them back together with promises of enormous wedge. “Oh, yeah. Around the big millennium hype, for sure.” Is he ever tempted? “Yeah, why not?” he chuckles. “A [one-off] gig would be easy, I would think.” What about an album, though? Now he really does laugh. “Well, you know what? It’s funny, cos like me, Duff and Slash - we could go in and make a Guns N’ Roses record in a week. Basic tracks. [But] vocals and leads [instrumentation] could take God knows how long…” "

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Which part are we talking about. Izzy running Axl down, or the time issue thing?

I re-read the entire article, and yes that was the article I remember where Izzy really gives Axl hell. Calls him a fucking maniac, monster, crazy... everything but fascist/nazi (and even I might've missed that one).

The weird thing is Slash, NEVER (to my knowledge) ever ran down Axl as bad as that Izzy interview, and yet alot of what was in that interview got attributed to Slash by Axl's camp over the years after. Now I don't know if Axl's camp was the ones on the other side knowing what was being said among friends, lawyers & other associates that never made the press, or what, but Izzy really painted Axl as an absolutely out-of-control egomaniacal dick.

In hind-sight re-reading it 13 years later, I see alot of envy and jealousy and maybe even hurt-feelings on Izzy's part. Izzy comes across way more in that interview as a guy who "wants the call from Axl"... just enough... to basically blow him off to restore his power.

In that interview, Izzy comes across as a guy WANTING to be back in GN'R, and not anxious to leave it behind, at least not anymore.

Now there was another article, which I cannot find that did not interview Izzy, but alluded that Axl had always tried to get Izzy back and that Izzy didn't want to come back because he didn't want to be apart of this massive Worldwide touring Guns N' Roses act like they were the Rolling fucking Stones, when Izzy was fine with GN'R just being a more popular, radio-ready New York Dolls. This article alluded to Izzy demanding HUGE (and unreasonable) sums of money for being back in GN'R, even if just for a brief leg around South America or Europe. Now maybe they were just stealing the rumors from back on the Izzy fill-in's for an injured Gilby on the 1993 European Skin N' Bones leg, and they were exaggerating it--I dunno.

I do find it ironic that over the years as GNR's fanbase shrunk and got smaller and smaller... the more Izzy made appearences. Coincidence?

Again I do come back to that question of where there were Izzy sightings, and the fact that Richard was supposed to be in Bucket's slot. Paul Huge never came across as a perminate replacement, despite his writing credits on Chinese and helping Axl in-studio, and Axl forcing Slash to try and write with him back in that 1994-95 period.

So it is still an eagerly fascinating question... who the fuck was supposed to be at rhythm guitar?

otto

otto wrote:

I dunno if Izzy would be up for the eletronic-multi-layered-orchestral rock songs Axl has been tinkering with...

But for a more sleazy rock album, akin more to Faces and Stones rather than revamping GN'R sound, I'd love to hear a version of the band with

Axl
Izzy
Fortus
Tommy or Duff
Ferrer
Dizzy.

The song writing outcome could be fantastic...

Board footer