You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: Ron leaving the band after Vegas?

otto wrote:

The extra guitar parts are not Bumble's fault, by any means.

He already described the process, where he'd go to the studio and write and improvise over songs, Axl would record it, analyze it and use it to his pleasings. Axl was the final producer of the album and is ultimately responsible for the overblown guitars. Instead of adding, Axl should've replaced guitars. Instead, he left it all there, making it the clusterfuck it actually became (although in some moments it does really work pretty well).

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

Axl's probably waiting until they can publicly announce his replacement before they confirm his departure. So probably nothing will happen until the next tour or festival appearance.

What do you bet that Buckethead's phone has been ringing off the hook?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Axl is at fault for the bogged down sound of the album. I listened to it last night and the album sounds amazing. I don't think it was mixed properly, again that's on Axl for going back over Andy Wallace's work, but its by no means bad.

I would say Buckethead's health is the main thing right now. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's been auditioning other guitarists. Bucket, at least it's what I feel, is still who Axl wants. if Brain comes back that would help, and DJ would probably be a much more amiable personality for Bucket to deal with than Robin was.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

DJ is just too poor of a player as was Robin to hang with Bucket. Bucket to me is at an even higher level than Ron.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I know the guy was great to the community despite the trolls ect and even a few times came into the old ROV chat room years ago. I'm sure he's not a dickhead.

However I just think the greatest shame in it all was that he ever got to record additional parts on the album years ago. That weren't needed, essentially replacing Tommy's bass and all in all made the finished material inferior to the demos. The redone Catcher In The Rye that's litterally a musical abortion to my ears is one thing, but even on tracks like Chinese Democracy.... It's just a guitar too much.

I personally as a fan who loved the demos and the tracks we heard throughout the years played live, feel like I like Chinese Democracy inspite of BBF's extra parts. Where as it should have been one of my favorite albums. Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe it was someone else who recorded those parts after BBF joined.

Whoah - Ron replaced bass parts? First I've heard of that. The drums and bass are so indistinct on Chinese - a shame.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

DJ is just too poor of a player as was Robin to hang with Bucket. Bucket to me is at an even higher level than Ron.

BS. And Robin was a perfect counterpart for Bucket. I'm not a DJ fan, but I'm not going to sit here and say the guy has no talent, or is a poor player. He did some real justice to Bucket's Sorry solo. And Robin's IRS solo. I was really impressed. That's just nonsense talk, man.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

In a studio? Okay.... Live? Huge drop off in chops... Fortus on the other hand has the chops to play Call and Response with Bucket... DJ even dumbs down Slash solos. Come on man...

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Robin was more creative than DJ, so in studio Robin was good. Live, not so much. Sloppy at times, could be wasted though. DJ is good on Sixx AM if you like wah shred. Haha.

AtariLegend wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I know the guy was great to the community despite the trolls ect and even a few times came into the old ROV chat room years ago. I'm sure he's not a dickhead.

However I just think the greatest shame in it all was that he ever got to record additional parts on the album years ago. That weren't needed, essentially replacing Tommy's bass and all in all made the finished material inferior to the demos. The redone Catcher In The Rye that's litterally a musical abortion to my ears is one thing, but even on tracks like Chinese Democracy.... It's just a guitar too much.

I personally as a fan who loved the demos and the tracks we heard throughout the years played live, feel like I like Chinese Democracy inspite of BBF's extra parts. Where as it should have been one of my favorite albums. Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe it was someone else who recorded those parts after BBF joined.

Whoah - Ron replaced bass parts? First I've heard of that. The drums and bass are so indistinct on Chinese - a shame.

On the album the BBF parts are mixed over the bass and the bass seems turned down. You really hear it better listening to the Chinese Democracy (track) demo vs. the album version.

The bass is distinctive and it's pretty good, it sounds great on them.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

You can blame that on Axl again, and Chris Pittman to some extent.

On the liner notes of CD you'll find that Pittman added LOTS of sub-bass, a resource popular in dance (house) music to highlight synthesizers and kick drums.

THAT'S WHAT RUINED THE BASS ON CD.

Board footer