You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Ron leaving the band after Vegas?

Smoking Guns wrote:

Doug is a total beast with no real weakness... Very underrated...  Axl doesn't deserve him...  He smokes rings around DJ, Fortus, and Bumble... Slash, though may not have the pure chops, can hang in the riff and attitude department as well as writing solos, but if you had Doug, you could go back to just Izzy..  He can nail all the Slash parts and over play but with a lot more taste...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

My favorite Doug Aldrich moments:

Lion - "Never Surrender"

Lion - "Love Is A Lie"

Hidden Text:

Bad Moon Rising - "Built For Speed"

Hidden Text:

Bad Moon Rising - Tears In The Dark [acoustic]

Hidden Text:

Bad Moon Rising - Into The Pit

Hidden Text:

Hurricane - Reign of Love

Hidden Text:

Hurricane - Don't Wanna Dream

Hidden Text:

Hurricane - 10,000 Years

Hidden Text:

Hurricane - Let It Slide

Hidden Text:

Whitesnake - Blues For Mylene [solo]

Hidden Text:

Whitesnake - 'Til The End of Time

Hidden Text:

Whitesnake - Whipping Boy Blues (Swamp Mix)

Hidden Text:

Whitesnake - Forevermore  *dedicated to GN'R Evo*

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
JKL wrote:

Apparently this post slipped by everyone. If true, this explains the Ron rumors, as well as Axl suddenly at least trying to put in effort as it could possibly be his swan song.

What I think is the more fascinating question is the article goes into mentioning that insiders close to Axl believe that he's "done with touring". He's made enough money touring.

Nobody said, no more studio work. If Axl has made his bank, and there's still a massive market out there for anything Guns N' Roses, I have been a HUGE HUGE HUGE supporter of Axl retiring from live shows for the last few years. I felt in 2010, 2011 at the latest that Axl should've quit touring to become exclusively a studio-only band, similar to Queen post-Kind of Magic, post-1986, post-Freddie diagnosis.

I wish, if Axl still has any artist in him, would just lock himself in a studio, write, and fucking relax. Have a take, don't suck, if it does suck, come back tomorrow. He could cut albums and work as long as he'd like. The pressure from Chinese is gone, and honestly if Guns N' Roses as a band is disbanded, Axl could easily just do session musicians and have 100 people be Guns N' Roses. From Slash to Izzy to Duff to Kim Thayil to Buckethead to Robin to DJ to Joe Perry to John 5 to Doug Aldrich to Tom Morello to Paul McCartney to any fucking body that would come down and jam with him on record.

And he'd never have to tour. Sounds pretty fucking cool to me. And it would also retain Axl's legacy vocally. Axl could easily hammer out multiple records with his old voice, if he was allowed numerous takes. Live.... I think he's dne.

Smoking Guns wrote:

REUNION STARTS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, maybe. That's another way to look at it. Or at least a new incarnation that features Axl, Richard, DJ, Izzy, Duff, Tommy, Frank, Dizzy & Chris. It would be nice to see Axl retire "Guns N' Roses" and reform the old band and say "Guns N' Fuckin' Roses is back however".

But Axl vocally is in such a bad state, that live... the moment is lost. Or at least lost until Axl repairs his vocals. Whether new or old, I still stand by Axl needs to perform strictly in a studio and give the live shows a break for many years to come.

It'd be really cool if GN'R recorded a new album every year or two, and Axl and new or old GN'R would come out and only perform in select cities on select dates to promote it, then retire back into the studio. It's like a Zeppelin model, mixed with Genesis-isms.

I wish Axl would've did something like that a long time ago. It allows him to still be Axl fuckin Rose, still have GN'R, still have a new band or reunion, and tour whenever he likes, while keeping his legacy and reputation in tact.

johndivney wrote:

jesus marY & joseph

can we get embedded vid automatically put into spoiler tags? this vid heavy page is browser crashing.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

But Axl vocally is in such a bad state, that live... the moment is lost. Or at least lost until Axl repairs his vocals.

Here's a Nightrain from the current residency, performed just the other night. One of the harder songs of the set on his voice, and he's been recently earning points on this forum for the way he's nailed it, doing a new voice, which balances between Mickey and rasp. And what do you know, his voice is suddenly top-flight for his age, miles beyond the embarrasment of Rock in Rio 11 or the Neil Young Bridge School benefit. Cleaner than in '06 and grittier than in '02, it sounds to me like the voice that we came to know, adjusted to his capacity as a performer. Not so much manic running to wear down stage fright or whatever, but a more confident performance. Not a bad trade-off, methinks.

Hidden Text:

Spoiler tag dedicated to johndivney. wink

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Wow that's the best Nightrain i've heard at least since 2010. I honestly don't think Axl is doing anything much different with the vocal there, than his down-times in 2006. Most of the 2006 performances by Axl, especially Appetite songs still had alot of 2002 in them, but with alot more power and rasp like 2010. Many at the time considered "Axl vocally fucked", specifically the Inland Invasion (San Bernadino) show and that vocal immediately came to mind when hearing this Vegas 2014 Nightrain.

Although in hind-sight we all listen to this vocal, call it new and perfect to what Axl's vocal is, and ironically in 2006 it was considered crap. In hind-sight it was a nugget of gold prophecy for Axl's future, on the best of circumstances.

The reality of it all is that people's vocals change. Period. Considering Axl's peers from LA as well as the rock/metal scene of the time, Axl might be in the best shape of them all, with the exception of the Steven Tyler and David Coverdale's, both of the two had to have vocal surgeries to repair damage, and had to completely re-teach themselves how to sing. Now the two of them run off and show off at shows at their ability as the above Forevermore live video demonstrates.

I made NUMEROUS posts back when these problems showing up, comparing Axl's vocals to an aging baseball veteran. Baseball vets and aging All-stars all make the exact same mistake Axl made. They all think they are "that good" that the older they get, the less work they have to do because they "just know the game that well". The reality is, to stay in the game full-time at 37, 38, 39, 40+ years old, you've got to train EVEN HARDER than the youngens which do it effortlessly.

This recent 2014 re-emergence has seen Axl trying new things, and trying to re-train himself. Maybe spring training/rehab for a reunion? Who knows. But it's obvious he's been trying--MUCH MORE than he was. And sometimes it works, and sometimes it's an epic fail. But he's working on it, whether for a future, or to return to his own perfectionism, I dunno.

You can tell with say, a David Coverdale, that he is focusing on every single note, every single thing he does vocally, almost distracted at times. Chris Cornell is another one that does that. No it's not as 'off the cuff', but then again i'd  rather go with the Grunge sensibility of "let's have a great MUSICAL show" rather than the LA attitude of "let's show off, then fuck off".

When Axl does pay attention, does try, does understand his own vocals, and balances them properly---he's actually aged far better than he gets credit for. He honestly, when he tries, has created an all-new sound of his voice that is just as entertaining as anything he's done before. The rockers from back in the day sound balanced and more honest for a man his age, and the ballads of the new era sound absolutely heavenly.

I for one CANNOT STAND Madagascar with rasp. It's clean vocal or fuck off. The song doesn't work otherwise, and the damn studio version sounds like Axl channeling Phil Anselmo at times, with no power.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Ron told someone at last night's show that it was indeed his last.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Damn. Ron will be missed. Great player.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

yeah, thats a damn shame if its true. Awesome player, and awesome dude

Board footer