You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: New Revolver interview with Axl

Is Ron definitely going then or is it still just rumour? People are talking like it's fact?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

The interview overall is a nice read and there are some positive things we can hope come to light. But it doesn't exactly instill confidence in me that new music is right around the corner. After Vegas they're going to see where they're at? Could be the beginnings of another silent period and nothing more. Maybe he's just being coy and they will actually get a definitive plan in place. I guess after all theses years I'm a little jaded, so I have my doubts. Certainly would seem like a positive that Universal is willing to work with them on the DVD release. Was worried that relationship was nearly beyond repair.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I dunno, I should be excited about Axl talking about new music.
But this band has cried wolf for too many fucking years for me to believe ANYTHING that comes from any of them

DJ has been shown to be a blatant liar, again, after stating this Vegas run would be different from the last, and the band have been talking about new music and new albums for fucking years now
I just think it's pathetic how long they think they can string fans along with broken promises like this

All I can say, is thank fuck for Slash, he gets in there, writes and records 17 brand new songs, sets a release date, does promo, keeps his fans in the loop, and actually comes through on his word.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

^^^^^^underrated post

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

I'm just pleased to see an interview with the guy in charge 9 I still think a lot of the animosity which built up towards Guns in the years between Spaghetti and Chinese could have been avoided/minimised if Axl had just been a little more open with the fanbase.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Is Ron definitely going then or is it still just rumour? People are talking like it's fact?

Still just a rumor I think. Had there been any official update from Guns or BBF the forums would be in meltdown right now 16

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

I was thinking about if this relates to the recent news story by Radar Online that Axl's about to retire.

Axl wrote:

We have what I call kind of the second half of ‘Chinese.’ That’s already recorded.

Soul Monster @ DJ Chat wrote:

Axl talked about CDII being "already recorded", do you know if it is completely mixed and mastered and ready for the shelves, and did you contribute to it?
DJ: It is not ready to hit shelves but whatever we release next i will be apart of

The second half, therefore, requires some studio work.

Axl wrote:

Then we have a remix album made of the songs from ‘Chinese.’ That’s been done for a while, too. But after Vegas, we’re going to start looking very seriously and what we’re doing in that regard.

“Band members have been told their calendars are free following Vegas,” a source close to the band tells RadarOnline. “Axl (Rose) is considering retiring and it’s done. Band members and support staff were surprised when told the news and are actively looking for work.”

Both stories suggest there'll a silent period after Vegas. To what ends, tho?

“Axl has made enough money and wants to stop touring,” adds another source. “He is considering retiring.”

Axl wrote:

Even our last U.S. arena tour... could have been more successful than it was.

Other people think Axl's complacent with his touring revenue, while Axl himself disagrees.

Axl wrote:

I just feel like, you know, it's been a long, slow process beyond comprehension with Chinese Democracy, but it's still moving forward and there's a lot more that we hope to do.

Axl's specifically saying the CD sage will continue to move on, with his latter quote seemingly being an understated reaffirmation that he intends to get the second half out there.

One way I can imagine these stories to co-exist would be that Guns would have announced their touring staff that there are no plans for tour legs in the foreseeable future and that they should begin looking for work after Vegas. They (Team Brazil / Del James) would've likely been mum about studio work relating to it one way or the other, which could have some peeps consider that Axl's calling it a day for Guns. Ron may well be walking out after Vegas, and that would temporarily cripple the live band, anyway.

What else? There's the AFD3D concert film, the very first official release of any kind since CD. While it's but of passing interest to the people on the boards, it's actually very interesting in political terms. Universal and Axl have (provided the release comes through) seen eye to eye on many enough things for the bridges to have been rebuilt and they now have a new product to serve as a barometer for Guns' bankability. If it sells well, there's a chance Uni will warm up to the remix album and the second half of CD. A logical thing could be re-releasing CD as a 3-disc edition. Minimum effort required for Axl the songwriter and more money coming his way before hopping on to another tour.

Would be wary about the release bits, tho. There's still another month to go before AFD3D is set to come out and many things can happen in the Guns world before that.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I dunno, I should be excited about Axl talking about new music.
But this band has cried wolf for too many fucking years for me to believe ANYTHING that comes from any of them

DJ has been shown to be a blatant liar, again, after stating this Vegas run would be different from the last, and the band have been talking about new music and new albums for fucking years now
I just think it's pathetic how long they think they can string fans along with broken promises like this

All I can say, is thank fuck for Slash, he gets in there, writes and records 17 brand new songs, sets a release date, does promo, keeps his fans in the loop, and actually comes through on his word.

And again you make yet ANOTHER predictable post ravaging DJ, in order to prop up your Godly Slash.

If you like the guy, you like the guy fine, but DJ again needs defending, because the slamming it's unjust.

1) I guarantee you DJ has never had any informal "briefing" on how to handle the media in regards to GN'R
-- blame Team Brazil, not DJ

2) What is being perceived as "DJ is a scum sucking liar", could also easily be perceived as "DJ really loves being in GN'R, and thinks if he puts Axl on the spot and the band, that they'll be motivated in get in a room and write, something that continues to not happened, by putting out firm statements in the press"
-- blame Axl and management and the press and the fans as well, all of this anxiousness for music pre-dates DJ even being involved with them

3) DJ and Axl have been seen to be publicly friends, outside of GN'R, and none of you have any fucking clue what conversations DJ has had with Axl. Axl could've said a bunch of shit, and DJ ran with it, and then Axl left him holding the bag, and bailed on the statements. Axl is borderline LEGENDARY with everyone on the planet for doing this EXACT thing, and frankly Slash used to do it ten years ago just as fucking much
-- again, blame Axl, management, and the existing band who know the score

4) Ron knows dick, and based on his interviews that's fairly obvious. Ron has almost no communication with the band (he's said so), Ron has said the band doesn't talk to him, etc. Yet, Ron goes around giving DEFINITE answers about "we haven't did this or that". No, they just haven't did it--with Ron. He's said that to this day the band (minus Axl) are pretty cold to him, with maybe the exception of DJ, for whatever reason.
-- Ron knows less than DJ, so his honesty is one-sided view (it might be right, but still--one sided)

5) Just because a FULL BAND doesn't record together, doesn't mean nothing is happening. The clique is obvious--Axl, DJ, Richard, Tommy & Dizzy--are the clique. The side guys minus Axl have wrote together, hang together, give interviews together, and I bet you my left nut that anything that comes out as original music from this version of the lineup will say "Rose, Ashba, Fortus, Stinson, Reed" in the credits, and virtually no one else with the exception of Pitman.
-- Again, we don't know enough to say anything else regarding this matter other than what we've seen

6) In the end... this falls on Axl and no one else. We don't know what promises were made at the negotiation table, nor what Axl has said over Jager bombs, and the sharing of a Percocet. Axl may be a strong-willed, alpha male, but he is notoriously flaky, which the other guys have not been, with the exception of Richard Fortus, who does deserve blame (and i've given him alot), because Richard DID KNOW what was going on with Chinese and continued to lie on a regular basis pre-release

Slash may "hold his word" in releasing material, but I personally wish as a favor to me he'd stop. He's absolutely bastardized and destroyed his legacy recording mostly garbage, and samey material for the last 20 years with some of the world's and rock's worst, and unlistenable singers. And that's not even counting the shit lyrics in his albums.

Am I bashing Slash to bash him? No, I like the guy. But the opinion of his recording output is entirely subjective. I still have a dream, that one of my favorite guitarists (him) will find a listenable vocalist and smart writer and sit down and do, not a good, but a GREAT album. He has yet to do that, and as of now, DJ Ashba is surrounded by a far more talented vocalist and any musician in Slash's corner.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'll give you one thing about DJ being full of shit... setlists. He's such a fucking liar about those damn things.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I'll give you one thing about DJ being full of shit... setlists. He's such a fucking liar about those damn things.

The setlist thing was actually what I was getting at most about with DJ. Mind you, they finally changed things up slightly, by adding Yesterdays and Prostitute, and playing that Angel's tribute song
But it seems like too little, too late. They only have two more dates to play, and so far its been the same stale Vegas setlists up to now.

And I'd rather they said nothing about new music unless it was ACTUALLY happening. God knows we've been lead down this road for years.

I was in a shitty mood when I posted what I wrote, but I stand by it

And never claimed Slash to be godly. That's your words, not mine
I just think it can't be THAT fucking hard to get your shit together, as Slash seems to so effortlessly do.

Yeah, its all subjective, but I'd argue that Slash has put out great songs amongst his "good" ones.
We've gotten Anastasia's and Watch This amongst his standard by the numbers stuff, and that does me just fine.
I don't see him destroying anything of his legacy with what he's put out. Slash's last tour of Australia was his biggest yet, his live playing is the best it's ever been, and he's still held in very high regard by general rock fans.

DJ may have a more talented singer on his side, but whats the point if he is getting older and getting worse, and NOT releasing anything while he's still able

Axl doesn't do fuck all, but play nostalgia setlists singing with Mickey voice, and you think Slash is destroying his legacy more than Axl.... thats laughable, and you sound like an Axl zealot saying that.

Believe it or not, I really want Axl to succeed, hence why I get shitty about what he does and says. ie. fuck all

Board footer