You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: New Revolver interview with Axl

bigbri wrote:

I  just wish Slash would grow some balls and record an instrumental album. Shit could be better than any Buckethead CD, but we'll never know. You know why? Because Slash always goes for the hits with a vocalist.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axlin12, usually agree, but you took a huge gulp of some Axl juice before your last post. In fact I remember you praising Standing in the Sun as well.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I'll give you one thing about DJ being full of shit... setlists. He's such a fucking liar about those damn things.

The setlist thing was actually what I was getting at most about with DJ. Mind you, they finally changed things up slightly, by adding Yesterdays and Prostitute, and playing that Angel's tribute song
But it seems like too little, too late. They only have two more dates to play, and so far its been the same stale Vegas setlists up to now.

And I'd rather they said nothing about new music unless it was ACTUALLY happening. God knows we've been lead down this road for years.

I was in a shitty mood when I posted what I wrote, but I stand by it

And never claimed Slash to be godly. That's your words, not mine
I just think it can't be THAT fucking hard to get your shit together, as Slash seems to so effortlessly do.

Yeah, its all subjective, but I'd argue that Slash has put out great songs amongst his "good" ones.
We've gotten Anastasia's and Watch This amongst his standard by the numbers stuff, and that does me just fine.
I don't see him destroying anything of his legacy with what he's put out. Slash's last tour of Australia was his biggest yet, his live playing is the best it's ever been, and he's still held in very high regard by general rock fans.

DJ may have a more talented singer on his side, but whats the point if he is getting older and getting worse, and NOT releasing anything while he's still able

Axl doesn't do fuck all, but play nostalgia setlists singing with Mickey voice, and you think Slash is destroying his legacy more than Axl.... thats laughable, and you sound like an Axl zealot saying that.

Believe it or not, I really want Axl to succeed, hence why I get shitty about what he does and says. ie. fuck all

It's not being an Axl zealot. I hear utterly NO ONE ever talk about Slash in a positive sense. Fucking ever. He's talked about like a clown in all of the rock circles i've been around, since maybe high school. And A-L-O-T of it had to do with Cypress Hill & Black Eyed Peas and Fergie. I have never met ANYONE that respects Fergie outside of the Slashites, that worship every goddamn thing he does. Her and her group are seen as a joke outside The Insider and Entertainment Tonight. Even the more urban people I know, blacks and hispanics that are more into the pop/rap scene, think they are a joke. The only time I ever see Slash gain some points back is when he does stuff with Ozzy, because Ozzy will always be Ozzy, no matter how many reality shows he does. People in those circles will always respect the Prince of Darkness.

I haven't met ONE person in at least 15 years that has said a positive thing about Slash outside of these boards, I swear on my life.

Axl on the other hand--i've heard mad respect for, for a variety of things, but also ALOT of criticism for the obvious stuff as well. Even the Slash show I went to, everyone around me groaned everytime Myles started singing, and at least two rows of people, around 50 people all in general conversation state "he's not Axl", "this guy is nowhere close to fucking Axl". Axl also got props for NOT playing the game, for as many people I met that also have called him an arrogant asshole for the exact same behavior.

For as many people i've met that tried to turn Chinese Democracy into a punchline, i've met just as many that thought it was sorely underrated, and could name favorite tracks off of it, and these are casual rock fans. Most spoken of has been Catcher In The Rye, Prostitute, This I Love, Better, and Shackler's Revenge btw.

Slash has his "shit together" because Slash plays the game. Axl doesn't. Slash is willing to suck off who he has to to play the Hollywood game at a moment's notice. American Idol, Anger Management, whatever he's doing this week. Axl has the same amount of A-list friends, but you never hear about it, because the guy refuses to not be Axl. I think that's a pro, not a con.

I'm not saying this as some sort of "fuck Slash" brigade. You guys know me better than that, and I have commended Slash where warranted. I say this because i'm sick of this one-sided bullshit where Slash CONSTANTLY gets a pass on sucking epic fucking ass, because he releases material and tours with second-rate players, and somehow becasue people VISUALLY SEE Slash more, somehow it "makes him better".

I have a real problem with that, and I do not think Slash deserves praise simply because he shoves himself down my throat regularly. He is really not an interesting person, and seems to piggie back on everyone else's media-driven whore moment of the week. I prefer Duff the most to any of them on a personal, non-music level. Duff has enough brains to know when to whore, and enough brains to know when to pull back and keep his self-respect. If Axl could be Duff (not Slash), man we would've had the best of both worlds.

I want Slash to succeed, no different than you do Axl, which is why I passionately criticize him. I know what Slash is capable of, and he is better, WAY better than the people he puts around him and the material he does.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Axlin12, usually agree, but you took a huge gulp of some Axl juice before your last post. In fact I remember you praising Standing in the Sun as well.

Spoken like a true Slashite. Thanks for proving my point Smoking Guns.

You Slash nutswingers here...

"Slash rules, Axl sucks" = Truth

"Slash sucks, Axl has potential" = swallowing Axl man juice

And yes, that is the exact logic used here, and elsewhere with you Slash fans. As for Standing in the Sun, it is literally the ONLY Myles song I can remember liking. Even Back From Cali got old, and I never got the fan-fare for Starlight. I far preferred his other non-Myles stuff, such as Ghost, and the tracks with Chris Cornell and M. Shadows, and I think there was one other.

But do I think it was Use Your Illusion-follow up material? Maybe Ghost, and that's it. There was one other session work collab he did with a no-name that was pretty good, that sounded like a sequel to Estanged. There are far more tracks on Chinese, that even with ONE album, I am glad Axl has the rights to the name ANY FUCKING DAY than Slash.

I feel far safer hearing album leaks by GN'R with DJ & Buckethead than I ever will having nightmares thinking of GN'R albums with Izzy & Myles Kennedy. Ugh. I'd rather Slash beg M. Shadows to join him. And I disagree with Bri on the "pop" thing. Slash wants to be popular, but not overshadowed. If Slash truely wanted to make pop music, there are far more talented vocalists to call, such as Shadows, or Corey, or hell even an Aaron Lewis.

I do agree with Bri, that I have ALWAYS wanted Slash to do an instrumental album. That's where his strength lies.

bigbri wrote:

I  just wish Slash would grow some balls and record an instrumental album. Shit could be better than any Buckethead CD, but we'll never know. You know why? Because Slash always goes for the popular thing of the week that will get him press.

Corrected it for 'ya. 22

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axlin, you do know he would be back with Axl if Axl showed him any respect and had any remorse at all.  Slash is willing and ready to do what is necessary but only if Axl is willing to give too... Also that is a load of horse shit you are trying to sell about Slash having no respect.  Axl once got pissed at Bumblefoot because right before Bumble joined, he had an interview and someone asked him what he thought of Slash and Bumble said basically that "Slash is badass".  Also I too have met many guys in the rock scene, and they all LOVE Slash. He is a players player.  A guy's guy.  Hell, if he is so hated, why so many guest appearances?  And you CANNOT deny  Slash plays the guitar better now that Axl sings and it is not c lose..

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I believe Slash plays better technically, but doesn't have the same feel imo. I don't feel the same soul from his modern songs, that I did from his GN'R stuff. Where is the heart?

A player's player... i'll take your word for it. I'm just telling you my experience. And I will also agree that Slash gets called for collab work more often, which proves he's a team player more than anything. Just because people call you, don't mean your right, or a good guy. It just means you're a reliable session player, at the least. If he's all the other thing, ding ding for him and the people around him.

Axl not getting calls, doesn't do anything to his reputation other than Axl didn't pick up the phone. Axl shot his own foot off with this. He alluded in this Revolver intereview that "nobody calls" for these kind of performance shows, and it has nothing to do with his voice. Axl basically spent 20 years NOT PICKING UP THE PHONE when it rang, or blowing off the whole thing, declining work, etc. His reputation got blown way out of proportion, because for as rebellious as all those Seattle rockers are---every last one of them are total conformists, except maybe that original guitarist dude from Nirvana.

Now Axl wants to cry foul because of a lack of support now that suddenly he's on Valium and Vicodin on a daily basis and feels great, and suddenly he wants to get back involved in the music scene... doesn't work that way and the music scene makes that clear. Slash put his dues in, taking it up the ass when need be and knowing who not to piss off. Axl tried to dare be an original. Biz don't work that way, and Axl is no exception. Axl tried to fight and win and a war, nobody has ever won. Not him, not the Sex Pistols, not Pearl Jam vs. Ticketmaster, etc. Axl tried to circumvent the business and the machine, and his reward?

They fucking buried him.

And to get out?

Axl kept digging deeper and deeper with his own personality and insecurities.

Slash on the other hand supplied his own spit and took one for the team. Slash likes being a celebrity, and that is why he's where he is. Celebs get press, celebs get assistence, celebs are seen. Axl WANTED to vanish, and that's exactly what he got. That doesn't mean he's wrong, as much as I wish he had released more music.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Nobody is wrong in this.. And if anything, Slash was out of a gig, out of a pay check.  Out of a band.  He had to hustle and reinvent himself.  All this "integrity" or "pride" or "taking up the ass" is insignificant, he still needs to put food on the table.  In a time of entitlement when people feel shit should be given to them for free.  When people are in general more lazy now than ever, you have Slash... A guy that gets up for the early radio shows and promotes his shit and makes sure he plays out enough to keep his name out there.  He documents his recordings of albums to promote his stuff because for him, it is how he earns a living.  I will never knock anyone for working hard.  Slash and Axl should be playing together.  THEY were meant for each other. That voice and that guitar are magic.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I see your point a little more now. But just because Slash "works" in the business, doesn't mean Axl doesn't "work" either. While Slash has recorded, from my perspective of Axl back in the day to know, Axl seemed to be spending all of his time on spirituality, finding his place in existence, and wanting to know every tick about how the universe works. He is far more intellectual today than he was back in the day.

And I find that just as valuable as Slash having a "sweat of your brow" mentality.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axlin, all that shit we just talked and at the end I agree with what you are saying... I think you were a lil to hard on Slash, but that is fine.  He can still play with soul if Axl will ever give him a reason.  Lol.  I still pray Duff helped mend some bridges.

Board footer