You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: New Revolver interview with Axl

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I haven't met ONE person in at least 15 years that has said a positive thing about Slash outside of these boards, I swear on my life.

I don't doubt you there, but wow, really...?

Maybe Australian fans see things differently, but I always hear Slash spoken of in good light.
He seems to get a pass on all the collaborations you say he gets laughed at, because generally casual fans still see him as a great player regardless.

I don't agree with the Slash's Fergie collabs any more than Axl's insistence to put fucking stupid pointless hip hop beats on CD song intros, but you can't say that whatever collaboration Slash plays on, he's not bringing that Slash style to the table.

And yeah, you're probably right, Slash gets himself out there and works the media to his advantage, but I don't see that as being a media whore.
He's impressively built  his own "Slash" brand outside of the huge GN'R brand, and I think he deserves some credit for that.

I guess most other Aussies see it that way too.

Lomax wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I haven't met ONE person in at least 15 years that has said a positive thing about Slash outside of these boards, I swear on my life.

It's the same here. A friend lately pointed out that Slash is still trading on old Guns N Roses  20 years  while the last Guns N Roses Album (chi dem) doesn't even trade on Guns N Roses. He does tend to shy away from mixing things up a little which is a shame. He plays it too safe.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Maybe Australian fans see things differently, but I always here Slash spoken of in good light.

Here too. Slash, always seems to be viewed as the cool guy, Axl always the dick. Any casual fan I talk to.

AtomsNest
 Rep: 10 

AtomsNest wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I see your point a little more now. But just because Slash "works" in the business, doesn't mean Axl doesn't "work" either. While Slash has recorded, from my perspective of Axl back in the day to know, Axl seemed to be spending all of his time on spirituality, finding his place in existence, and wanting to know every tick about how the universe works. He is far more intellectual today than he was back in the day.

And I find that just as valuable as Slash having a "sweat of your brow" mentality.

lol What makes you say this? It sounds like fanfiction to me. Has Axl given an interview where he's discussed such thing? Maybe I missed it.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
AtomsNest wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I see your point a little more now. But just because Slash "works" in the business, doesn't mean Axl doesn't "work" either. While Slash has recorded, from my perspective of Axl back in the day to know, Axl seemed to be spending all of his time on spirituality, finding his place in existence, and wanting to know every tick about how the universe works. He is far more intellectual today than he was back in the day.

And I find that just as valuable as Slash having a "sweat of your brow" mentality.

lol What makes you say this? It sounds like fanfiction to me. Has Axl given an interview where he's discussed such thing? Maybe I missed it.

You missed it. New Friend Mushroom told him this all.

Axlin, this was probably the trippiest, out of this universe, out of reality post I've ever read on a message board. Good job.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Took guys for Slash to leave and make it on his own. He doesn't sing, yet his name alone does really well...  He is one of the most popular players in the world. Period. That is an impressive accomplishment.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I don't doubt you there, but wow, really...?

Maybe Australian fans see things differently, but I always hear Slash spoken of in good light.
He seems to get a pass on all the collaborations you say he gets laughed at, because generally casual fans still see him as a great player regardless.

I don't agree with the Slash's Fergie collabs any more than Axl's insistence to put fucking stupid pointless hip hop beats on CD song intros, but you can't say that whatever collaboration Slash plays on, he's not bringing that Slash style to the table.

And yeah, you're probably right, Slash gets himself out there and works the media to his advantage, but I don't see that as being a media whore.
He's impressively built  his own "Slash" brand outside of the huge GN'R brand, and I think he deserves some credit for that.

I guess most other Aussies see it that way too.

I will agree with you that the two biggest regions of Slash supporters I have met, have been Aussies and South Americans (who also adore Axl), but those two regions love Axl & Slash, whether in GN'R or solo or a rebooted GN'R. They just love 'em, and whatever they do.

I don't think anybody I have met doubts Slash's ability, just WHAT he's playing. His new melodies, style, just ain't blowing people away.

Ironically, just after I made that post (maybe God wanted to call my bluff?) anyways a few days later I met, not one, but TWO fans who adored Slash and Myles Kennedy as well, calling them very talented and love their new stuff, and the song "World On Fire" (is that correct?) very much so.

That's a first for me. Everyone else had negativity. There seemed to be more positivity towards Slash when it was Contraband and VR with STP's Weiland, but after Chinese (much to my shock) the tide turned around me on the streets to being a bit more sympathetic to Axl, and far more critical of Slash, especially with Kennedy sans Weiland.

Lomax wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

It's the same here. A friend lately pointed out that Slash is still trading on old Guns N Roses  20 years  while the last Guns N Roses Album (chi dem) doesn't even trade on Guns N Roses. He does tend to shy away from mixing things up a little which is a shame. He plays it too safe.

And you nailed it. That was the biggest complaint. Slash seemed to play everything too safe, and almost every complaint I heard, said the exact same thing related to feeling Slash was just playing it too safe. I actually felt bad for Slash, because Slash was in the same spot as Axl. If Slash tried something traditional to his roots, it was too "been there, done that", and if Slash tried something out of left field, he'd get the same response Axl got.

I think the complaining about it being too safe was primarily in the moves Slash made. If Slash recorded old style music, he'd bring in "safe" choices like Chris Cornell or Ozzy Osbourne or even a Sebastian Bach. I think an Ian Astbury, or even a female singer was a far more ballsy move. But even when he brought in a female singer (Lzzy Hale), it was always someone safe like Lzzy (Halestorm), a very radio ready rock band. Or Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge) or Corey Taylor (Stone Sour-version). M. Shadows and Kid Rock are just as predictable.

But when he branched out to pop... he still went mainstream with Fergie and the Black Eyed Peas.

I saw their point, but I started to get a feeling that Slash could not please them regardless. It seemed like a damned if you do, damned if you don't move. The most love I saw expressed towards him was the early conception of Velvet Revolver. I think people were genuinely excited to hear Stone Temple Pilots meets Guns N' Roses with Weiland fronting basically UYI-era GN'R. What an interesting combo.

Then it happened, and it just wasn't that good. When it was recognizable and anthemic, it was boring, safe, and borderline-pop at their best moments, and when it was riskier, it just wasn't written all that well and forgettable.

At least that was the general consensus I saw. It got worse after Chinese came out and people made the comparisons. That's not to say Chinese didn't have alot of haters, but there were far more supporters than even I imagined their would be in the post-Chinese era, especially back during the Contraband-era.

Cramer wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Maybe Australian fans see things differently, but I always here Slash spoken of in good light.

Here too. Slash, always seems to be viewed as the cool guy, Axl always the dick. Any casual fan I talk to.

Oh it's still totally that way. Don't get me wrong, when I say "love Axl", it was "loved Chinese Democracy" or "most of it". They still very much hated Axl and blamed Axl as the reason Guns N' Roses "broke up", and the reason "GN'R won't get back together". They hated him for it.

But with Chinese they seemed to go, "but that album was still the better rock record i've heard in awhile" was the general consensus. They seemed to hate Axl, but give him a pass for "not selling out like Slash did".

Of course now with Budweiser City, Hard Rock Vegas, DJ Ashba.... Axl's street cred is probably history with these same people.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
AtomsNest wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

You missed it. New Friend Mushroom told him this all.

Axlin, this was probably the trippiest, out of this universe, out of reality post I've ever read on a message board. Good job.

Good--then it worked, haha. 22

Btw, you guys missed it then if you don't know what i'm talking about.

Back in the late 1990s there were rampant rumors that Axl very much lived a secluded life of no partying, lots of books, and self-loathing. He also sought spiritual advice from psychics, as well as the infamous Yoda (Sharon Maynard) of the Southwest U.S. desert for spiritual advice as well. Axl visited China around the early 2000's I believe as a spiritual retreat for inspiration for Chinese Democracy, and the last time he'd probably be allowed to visit the country before the album's release and eventually banning by the government.

Axl soaked up books, universal beliefs, psychic shit, psychology, philosophy, art, world music, all kinds of stuff in his down time during this period, when...

Slash was just fucking recording and recording. Gettin' shit done. Sweat of your brow. Axl was finding himself and his sanity, trying to have the youth of discovering himself, that he never had.

Even Axl's writing style changed from the heyday, to the present. He became a much more affluent, high-style writer and speaker, something obviously more self-aware of themself during that time.

I value both Axl & Slash's choices during this period.

Now my opinion of WHY Axl did it, is based on his words in interviews, as well as my interpretation of it. But all of the stuff I listed about was in the various interviews and speculatory articles over the last 15 years or so of Axl Rose.

axl

Board footer