You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Slash - World on Fire Out Now

-D- wrote:

Shadow life is on repeat right now.  Fuck I love this song . This and beneath the savage sun

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

A second listen and I like it a bit better. Wicked Stone, Too Far Gone, Savage, Dililah, 30 years, Stone Blind, and The Unholy might be my favorite tracks. The title track sounds leauges better than the radio version though. Bent to Fly is growing. Some tasty Slash work on that one. Shadow Life has grown on me too.

Wicked Stone to Deilliah is definitely the sweet spot of the record.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

ok here we go. 3.5 hour train ride from NYC to Boston so let's go track by track...

World on Fire - Ok song, lyrics are extremely cheesy but it moves alright and can get the blood flowing.
Shadow Life - I like the individual pieces of the song - Verse, Chorus, Bridge...I just don't think they fit together very well. Tough to settle into to a groove with it. Really pulls in different directions.
Automatic Overdrive - Slash's guitar in the intro and chorus some reason reminds me of Mike Tyson's Punchout video game where you are running in between matches with the trainer past the statue of liberty. Similar to WOF I like the song and the feel but once again there is an incredible cheese factor in the lyrics.
Wicked Stone - Classic Slash solo song intro. Very Locomotive like verse. Good melody from Slash in the chorus. Interesting key change after the solo. Again, Locomotive feel on the outro. Cool song. Good showing from Myles.
30 Years - Song has grown on me. Weird hearing a pussy like Myles singing about a curb stomp! Good to see them switching up the subject matter. Slash doesn't really stand out on the track but the pieces fit together well as a total song. Changing my opinion on this one a little bit.
Bent to Fly - Good change of pace but doesn't do much for me.
Stone Blind - Song is so Slash it hurts. Super Snakepitty. Total filler. Why they chose this as one of the first they debuted live is beyond me.
Too Far Gone - Vanilla. Really nothing stands out on this track. Ok solo I guess.
Beneath the Savage Sun - Talked about it in it's own thread. Definitely AIC inspired from the the grungy intro and Myles Hey-ayay Ahhh. Sounds like it could fit right in on Facelift. Maybe that's why I like it so much. Favorite on the album.
Withered Delilah - Sounds like an Apocalyptic Love leftover. It's honestly getting hard to review some of these because there isn't much separating a song like this from Too Far Gone, Automatic Overdrive, or Stone Blind.
Battleground - Great Slash intro here. Good to switch it up for a little bit. Drags on a little bit. Good feel from Slash in the solo, sneaky little harmonic. Outro - La La Las - I could do without them. Think Slash could have stepped it up on the outro solo. Overall pretty good though.
Dirty Girl - Same category as Withered, Automatic, Stone Blind - did they really need all of these on the album? Cheesy lyrics again. Very Apocalyptic Love sounding. Actually sounds like a song Buckcherry would do if they were trying not to swear.
Iris of the Storm - SCOM'y intro. Starts slow but I like the build up to the chorus. Chorus itself is ok, obviously featuring that Slash noodle. A heavy breakdown after the second chorus. Good Slash wah solo.
Avalon - Same category I lumped those other songs into. Keeps up the tempo throughout but generally meh.
The Dissident - Ok song. Don't think it's as good as its been made out to be. Switching up the subject matter. Like Slash's tone, like Myles chorus, even the Oh's. Solo is decent.
Safari Inn - Good feel. Wish there were more like this on the record with lyrics. Think they could have made a proper song out of this and dropped one of the earlier tracks.
The Unholy - Nice to see them go a little darker again. But, like most songs on the record, unremarkable.

On the whole, as an album, it's an enjoyable listen. If you like Slash, you'll like this album. A lot of good tunes to work out to. There really just isn't any song that sticks out that I would say is on par with Slash's best work across GNR, Snakepit, VR, and Solo. This is what happens when you take your throwaway riffs and build songs around them. Things get watered down and yes you get 17 songs but at a certain expense. As has been said, however, this is far better produced than Slash and Apocalyptic Love.

Overall, if I had to give it a grade, I'd say B-. If I weren't a Slash fan? C at best.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

A video is coming for Beneath the Salvage Sun.

"We have a concept for a song called 'Beneath The Savage Sun', which we're going to partner up with IFAW [International Fund for Animal Welfare], which is an animal conservation organization, and the song is all about poaching, so we're going to compile a lot of footage together about that particular subject — elephant poaching and rhino poaching and all that — and make a really great, informative video and put it to that song which is like seven minutes long so hopefully raise some awareness for what's going on out there."

That's not the only clip Slash has planned though. The former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist, who isn't a fan of appearing in videos, told VH1 Radio Network what else he is considering. "You know, maybe doing a video where the concept is so engaging the band doesn't have to fake it and try to be in it, and just have the music back up the video," he said. "So there's a couple different ideas. Anything but just the standard fare."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slash- … dOF6pXZ.99

Changed the subject of the thread now that it's out.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Looks like Slash is now going to do a cool video?? Interesting and cool.

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

Sounds like they won't be in the video, though. I think AIC has done 3 videos since they reunited with William in which the band did not appear at all.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Maybe I read it wrong, but one video is going to be about poaching of animals. But it looks like from reading it one time, that if there is a good story line and the guys didn't have to fake it, they would do another video?!?!!

-D-

-D- wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

ok here we go. 3.5 hour train ride from NYC to Boston so let's go track by track...

World on Fire - Ok song, lyrics are extremely cheesy but it moves alright and can get the blood flowing.
Shadow Life - I like the individual pieces of the song - Verse, Chorus, Bridge...I just don't think they fit together very well. Tough to settle into to a groove with it. Really pulls in different directions.
Automatic Overdrive - Slash's guitar in the intro and chorus some reason reminds me of Mike Tyson's Punchout video game where you are running in between matches with the trainer past the statue of liberty. Similar to WOF I like the song and the feel but once again there is an incredible cheese factor in the lyrics.
Wicked Stone - Classic Slash solo song intro. Very Locomotive like verse. Good melody from Slash in the chorus. Interesting key change after the solo. Again, Locomotive feel on the outro. Cool song. Good showing from Myles.
30 Years - Song has grown on me. Weird hearing a pussy like Myles singing about a curb stomp! Good to see them switching up the subject matter. Slash doesn't really stand out on the track but the pieces fit together well as a total song. Changing my opinion on this one a little bit.
Bent to Fly - Good change of pace but doesn't do much for me.
Stone Blind - Song is so Slash it hurts. Super Snakepitty. Total filler. Why they chose this as one of the first they debuted live is beyond me.
Too Far Gone - Vanilla. Really nothing stands out on this track. Ok solo I guess.
Beneath the Savage Sun - Talked about it in it's own thread. Definitely AIC inspired from the the grungy intro and Myles Hey-ayay Ahhh. Sounds like it could fit right in on Facelift. Maybe that's why I like it so much. Favorite on the album.
Withered Delilah - Sounds like an Apocalyptic Love leftover. It's honestly getting hard to review some of these because there isn't much separating a song like this from Too Far Gone, Automatic Overdrive, or Stone Blind.
Battleground - Great Slash intro here. Good to switch it up for a little bit. Drags on a little bit. Good feel from Slash in the solo, sneaky little harmonic. Outro - La La Las - I could do without them. Think Slash could have stepped it up on the outro solo. Overall pretty good though.
Dirty Girl - Same category as Withered, Automatic, Stone Blind - did they really need all of these on the album? Cheesy lyrics again. Very Apocalyptic Love sounding. Actually sounds like a song Buckcherry would do if they were trying not to swear.
Iris of the Storm - SCOM'y intro. Starts slow but I like the build up to the chorus. Chorus itself is ok, obviously featuring that Slash noodle. A heavy breakdown after the second chorus. Good Slash wah solo.
Avalon - Same category I lumped those other songs into. Keeps up the tempo throughout but generally meh.
The Dissident - Ok song. Don't think it's as good as its been made out to be. Switching up the subject matter. Like Slash's tone, like Myles chorus, even the Oh's. Solo is decent.
Safari Inn - Good feel. Wish there were more like this on the record with lyrics. Think they could have made a proper song out of this and dropped one of the earlier tracks.
The Unholy - Nice to see them go a little darker again. But, like most songs on the record, unremarkable.

On the whole, as an album, it's an enjoyable listen. If you like Slash, you'll like this album. A lot of good tunes to work out to. There really just isn't any song that sticks out that I would say is on par with Slash's best work across GNR, Snakepit, VR, and Solo. This is what happens when you take your throwaway riffs and build songs around them. Things get watered down and yes you get 17 songs but at a certain expense. As has been said, however, this is far better produced than Slash and Apocalyptic Love.

Overall, if I had to give it a grade, I'd say B-. If I weren't a Slash fan? C at best.

First couple listens, I had similar thoughts.
Now, however,  things jump out more and I love it.

-D-

-D- wrote:

Not doing a Chinese comparison but Slash albums SOUND better. Mixed etc. Brent Fitz drumming is great and better than the mechanical cd drums

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

I would say that perhaps THIS album sounds better...but when Apocalyptic Love comes on my Ipod after WOF, it sounds like shit in comparison.

Board footer