You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Stay of Execution

Smoking Guns wrote:

UYI to me sounds more dated and overproduced. Maybe my love for the songs is skewing my feeling in the production and mix. Slash's tone and Axl's vocals sound killer. I don't hear that slick 80's production but I am sure it is there

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Well that's a remastered version so it better sound good.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

UYI to me sounds more dated and overproduced. Maybe my love for the songs is skewing my feeling in the production and mix. Slash's tone and Axl's vocals sound killer. I don't hear that slick 80's production but I am sure it is there

I really wish AFD had more the production value and mixing as TSI? That was a raw, powerful, no 80s production value kind of awesome. Again, Jim Mitchell is the man.

Sky Dog wrote:

personally I don't get in to the production that much as I listen to old country stuff from the 30's up....just care about the songs

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

personally I don't get in to the production that much as I listen to old country stuff from the 30's up....just care about the songs

Production is just as much part of the songs as the individual instruments are. A well-produced album doesn't necessarily mean that it's "polished" sounding, Jack White's producing on Elephant is a good example of excellent production that sounds very low-fi (but fits the songs very well). Conversely, bad production can easily kill an album for me. Down's Nola comes to mind as an album with great songs and absolutely horrible production. Or anything from Pantera as well really.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

TSI - Ain't It Fun is perfect.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I think you guys are often confusing production (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_producer) with the audio engineering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_engineer as in recording techniques and sound) of the album, to be honest...

Mike Clink's production values on Appetite are pretty clear if you listen to any of the boots up to the recording sessions. Songs before him were often slower, some bridges and verses were emptier or longer and had no "push". If you listen to the UYI demos and then to the final recordings, you can also notice this.

Fair to say he didn't change the direction of the songs that much in AFD, he basically steered them to a cohesive unit and was smart enough to not interfere too much on the creative process, since most of the album was already there.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

This.

I'd love to hear AFD with the big fat drums and fat guitars of the production values of TSI

misterID

misterID wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

This.

I'd love to hear AFD with the big fat drums and fat guitars of the production values of TSI

That's what I've been saying!

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

There was a pretty big technology change from 1986 to 1993 wasn't there?

Board footer