You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Stay of Execution

misterID wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Album-related? Certainly possible. It would prolly be the easiest way SoE would fit into the grand scheme of things, given Guns have a contract with Uni and there's an album in the can.

As it's prolly mentioned elsewhere, the application was filed on June 6th last year, on the day of the penultimate Vegas show. Whatever it is, it was brewing already at the time. We'll know within the next two months whether Axl takes steps to finish the paperwork and claim the copyright, or whether his plans surrounding it have changed.

The claim reads as

Digital media, namely, pre-recorded DVDs, downloadable audio and video recordings, and CDs featuring and promoting music; Pre-recorded CDs, video tapes, laser disks and DVDs featuring music. There's definitely an idea of releasing stuff in connection to the name.

Entertainment, namely, live performances by a musical band; Providing a website for entertainment purposes featuring videos, photos, news and music about a musical group. Touring and website are also in the cards, and they both refer to a musical band. My question is, can it be said the band is either GNR or SOE?

Axl toured 11 years on CD to the date (NYE Show 2001 - NYE Show 2012), but did he ever copyright the CD phrase to be used in merch and whatnot? Just curious, as the precedence could take us further with SOE.

I think the use of Musical Band is basically a generic term in regards to any band, or his band, to perform the material and a website about the mterial in regards to the band, etc. I would figure there would be other filings for a band. Like an LLC or something.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Can't see Axl suddenly going solo at this stage. As we've said before GNR essentially is his solo project these days why bother splitting it further? Could be way off of course but I see GNR related material being a much more likely use for the copyright.

Regarding CD Axl successfully stopped Offspring using the name didn't he? Suggesting he had some form of copyright on the name?

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Can't see Axl suddenly going solo at this stage. As we've said before GNR essentially is his solo project these days why bother splitting it further? Could be way off of course but I see GNR related material being a much more likely use for the copyright.

At this point, we can only speculate. On the solo album, the dealmaker could be that he'd get away with it without singing, and could release just about anything without the need for it to be decidedly Guns material.

A Private Eye wrote:

Regarding CD Axl successfully stopped Offspring using the name didn't he? Suggesting he had some form of copyright on the name?

While recording in 2003, the band was at a loss for an album title. "When the record's coming together, you try to seriously think of a title for ten minutes and then everyone in the band jokes around for the next two hours with ideas like 'Offspring Bloody Offspring,'" Holland says. "One day, somebody suggested 'Chinese Democracy' and we couldn't stop laughing about it." At that point, the Guns N' Roses album had been in the works for nearly a decade.

The idea grew into a longer title, 'Chinese Democracy (You Snooze, You Lose),' when the band decided to put out a press release as a gag. "We got a lot more attention than we thought we would," Holland says. "I heard Axl [Rose] was looking into legal options but there aren't any, since you can't copyright an album title before it's released." Eventually the band dropped the ruse and titled the album 'Splinter.' -src

BTW, guess who played drums on the album that was (almost) called CD? That's right, Josh Freese. big_smile

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

At this point, we can only speculate. On the solo album, the dealmaker could be that he'd get away with it without singing, and could release just about anything without the need for it to be decidedly Guns material.

He could do this but then you would have to question his motivation for releasing new material (i.e. "old" new material).  If he did it without then touring/supporting it in some capacity then it's almost pointless, since he is unlikely to make anything via album sales.

Only way I see him releasing something is if he wants to tour again for some more cash with some hired Guns.  Releasing some new stuff might be a way to make it appear "fresh" and give some people a reason to come out and see him again in the hope of hearing and seeing something new.  Although I think even those people are pretty thin on the ground these days.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Would be nice if it's an album.

Lomax wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

A Private Eye wrote:

While recording in 2003, the band was at a loss for an album title. "When the record's coming together, you try to seriously think of a title for ten minutes and then everyone in the band jokes around for the next two hours with ideas like 'Offspring Bloody Offspring,'" Holland says. "One day, somebody suggested 'Chinese Democracy' and we couldn't stop laughing about it." At that point, the Guns N' Roses album had been in the works for nearly a decade.

The idea grew into a longer title, 'Chinese Democracy (You Snooze, You Lose),' when the band decided to put out a press release as a gag. "We got a lot more attention than we thought we would," Holland says. "I heard Axl [Rose] was looking into legal options but there aren't any, since you can't copyright an album title before it's released." Eventually the band dropped the ruse and titled the album 'Splinter.' -src

BTW, guess who played drums on the album that was (almost) called CD? That's right, Josh Freese. big_smile

Of course you can copyright an album title.  You just register the term as a trademark and then if someone tries to use the term as an album title you block them.
For example, I couldn't name my next album "Mitsubishi Lancer", because that is a trademarked term so Mitsubishi would block me.

Just because you can't register an album title specifically doesn't mean that you can't register the term in relation to the massive media and marketing projects that go along with the album.

Stay of Execution is most definitely an album title.

You can bet that Geffen/Interscope held the rights over the term Chinese Democracy and that used those rights to force Axl's hand on the release.
Looks like he is making sure he retains control over his next project.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You can't name anything "The Kid", either. The Charlie Chaplin estate owns that name. Disney tried and were forced to use "Walt Disney's The Kid."

I would say its for something pretty big: Album, tour, DVD, residency, website, merch.

If a site pops up soon, we know something is up.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Lomax wrote:

You just register the term as a trademark and then if someone tries to use the term as an album title you block them.
For example, I couldn't name my next album "Mitsubishi Lancer", because that is a trademarked term so Mitsubishi would block me.

In the UK at least I know you have to specifically state what industry your trademark applies too, so this isn't definitely accurate, though it may be different in the US and elsewhere of course smile

You can search UK trademarks here. If you search "lancer", like your example, you'll see "Lancer Evolution" is only trademarked under class 12 (which is automobiles etc). You would have every right to file for a trademark under Class 9 since it's a completely different industry (Class 9 includes compact discs, DVDs and other digital recording media).

Wills "Mitsubishi Lancer™" album coming soon.

Dadud
 Rep: 14 

Dadud wrote:

anyone see this? it popped up in my facebook feed the other day.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/20 … r-dj-ashba

Maybe its a title for the remix album?

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Nice to see this convo going to places, it's fun to have different possibilites re: the title weighted.

The one-time HTGTH resident insider Mysteron threw a new one out at MyGNR.

Mysteron wrote:

With the ICs, 041 is live performance, 009 is DVD or CD. That is what they mean

Mysteron wrote:

I am reasonably confident it is a live release of sorts, whatever it is. Not a band name or an album

The whole endeavour though is forward thinking and the means the band are functioning and pushing forward with ideas and releases.

You get muddy boots the longer you go on, it is why alot of bands split. Seeing this, whatever it is, represents something good, something positive.

Like I said, muddy boots, everything is slow and difficult, but the intention is there. And if it was there June last year, it means there is intention for this year as it takes a year for these things to process.

All good

A GNR live 'thing', called Stay of Execution.

The one caveat in that would be Appetite for Democracy.

What sort of a live event, short of a reunion show, would be marketable in the present situation?

Board footer