You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: DJ has left GNR

Sky Dog wrote:

Gotta go with John on this one.....not a fan of DJ at all.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I don't care about what he has to say per se...the image on stage fit and the way he played the songs fit

the ballad of death or whatever sounded good to me, his remix of better fix in with the general feel of the rest of the album than the released version IMO... id rather have that sleezy, sloppy style of lead playing over the 5000 notes per minute noodling any day, or garbage bag wearing, dissonant note, alternate tuning playing goth/industrial sounds...I cut my teeth on 80/90's hard/rock metal and 90's grunge...alternative music can fuck off

he can be as emo as he wants to...sell as much swag as he wants...whatever

on stage, live, in the studio he fit the bill for what I need out of a gnr guitarist ... of course this is all IMHO ... obviously others opinions differ ... suck it, I'm the one who's right 16 j/k

this isn't the first, nor will it be the last time, that people don't like my opinion on music wink

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

The dude just seemed like a poser to me. I also detest the incessant self-promotion/narcissism that goes along with social media (Look at me-yippie.) I get it from a business/branding perspective, but at the same time he just turned me off. He was just too much, all the time, for a guy who ultimately seemed underwhelming as a guitar player.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Why a poser? he went thru the LA rounds to get to where he is...maybe his image is a bit fabricated, but it works, doesn't bother me, I met and talked to him after one GnR show (London 2011 I believe) he was a really cool down to earth guy, no pompousness or arrogance, didn't try to sell me any of his gear lol 16 ... he was like someone I could hang with

That's why social media should be avoided at all costs 16 in my experience ... what you see on there rarely reflects the real person especially if that person is a celebrity ... they have an image to maintain for public consumption ... whatever they chose that image to be ... if its even them posting the shit to begin with ... dude makes a living off music and selling "swag" its no different than seeing a commercial for doritos or whatever...the sale media he uses just isn't a television

Ron and DJ were my favorite guitarists in this band since Slash left ... just sucks ... but hey, par for the course

perhaps I was too optimistic to think the revolving door had stopped turning ... that'll teach me

I know this wont sway anyone's opinion of the guy...just my perspective 19

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Naw mate, he is a fuckin fanny, good riddance.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

It's funny. Image and playing, they were the two things that also polarized people on Robin.

I always liked Robin, both as a character and a guitar player in Guns. He brought that irreverent spirit into the music that just got go. They played AFD, but they were a distinctly different band; we could only mostly imagine how they would sound in their own work by the twisted mirror of Old Guns back catalogue. And he improved as a player so much during his time, in '06 he was on fire.

Robin used to sell t-shirts on his site, they were remnants from the '02 tour. It was a nice touch from Axl, allowing Robin and Bucket sell their shirts through the online store and Guns merch stands. That's the only instance of 'Finck Swag' I can think of.

Robin hardly ever communicated with the fans. He did issue a brief encouraging note to Guns fans on the day after Axl's Buckethead/RIR-Lisboa press release. When the '07 tour was postponed (Stinson fell off the stairs), he also reached out.

Aside the Jan '07 dates, which were covered in Axl's open letter, I believe those were the most significant cancellations, post-02. Both times, Robin felt there was a need to say something, lacking the ability to name names and set dates. People say he never interacted - he did, and he actually did it to say that he too was disappointed for things working out against Guns. It also reinforced the notion that he had faith in Guns.

The people who wanted the more-like-Slash player, who interacts regular with fans got what they wished for.

Always before careful doing that.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

What? A wannabe media darling and shameless whore for the spotlight? Haha that Axl fella is funny! He pulled a off a belter when he uncovered this priceless Slash parody. What a jester this this Axl fella is, wish I'd got the joke earlier, I'd have laughed longer and harder at DJ much sooner than I did axl

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

God that clip sounds terrible.

Yeah Finck was polarizing thats for sure. His disinterest in fans was awful. Julita(evo member) ran the best finck site for years even kept it going during dead periods. Spent years compiling info,pics,etc. She reached out to him a few times & he ignored her. At that point I didnt give a shit about him. For someone at Finck's level to ignore the ONE person dedicating a chunk of their life to him was inexcusable. Even she got sick of it and gave up. Way to go Finck!

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

There's an even funnier clip where he butchers a "Patience" solo and Axl and Ron kinda start laughing at him.

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah Finck was polarizing thats for sure. His disinterest in fans was awful. Julita(evo member) ran the best finck site for years even kept it going during dead periods. Spent years compiling info,pics,etc. She reached out to him a few times & he ignored her. At that point I didnt give a shit about him. For someone at Finck's level to ignore the ONE person dedicating a chunk of their life to him was inexcusable. Even she got sick of it and gave up. Way to go Finck!

Has Bucket ever commented on his involvement with Guns outside the album linear notes? I know he done a silly interview while he was in the band for MTV where he only talked through a puppet, but anything else? Just curious.

Board footer