You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Slash and Axl friends again?

apex-twin wrote:
misterID wrote:

According to MSL and others there wasn't communication until the Vegas DVD, where Slash, for the first time, allowed for a release for a new era live DVD.

The production company, Rockfuel, was blowing the horn on AFDem in early 2013; their job was done. Late May 2014, the Blu-Ray was announced. These things take a while to move on, so it would be plausible that progress was made with Duff on tour in April.

RaZor wrote:

The earliest clue that things maybe changing, that I recall, was Axl's Golden Gods speech, when he thanked all past members.

That ceremony immediately followed up the South American tour with Duff.

Axl could've opened up to Duff about how bummed he is with the Blu-Ray on the skids. Duff, with his business acumen, could've explained it out to both parties that they'd all make money and benefit from the release. To Axl, AFDem must've been a big thing, it's a transitory release showcasing the band as it was in 2009-14. It was proof Guns had outlived both CD and Slash and were still a competent live band.

The table is rigged yet again in Axl's favour, provided he withholds from shooting himself in the foot again. All he needs to do is to lay low. Slash is the one person that can vindicate Axl in the media. The Swedish soundbyte will haunt him in every other interview from now on. And by the way, the Aftonbladet quote has a precedent.

In May 2015, Slash wrote:

"I gotta be careful what I say there. I mean, if everybody wanted to do [a reunion] and do it for the right reasons, you know, I think the fans would love it. I think it might be fun at some point to try and do that, but... it just starts to get into a whole complex thing. But anyway, it's really between the guys in the band."

Slash admitted that he and Axl Rose hadn't spoken for "a long time," but that most of their old tensions had eased. "We don't have all those issues anymore," he said. "There's not a lot of controversy. It's something that's more perpetuated by the media than anything."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum … -interview

Axl and Slash may have actually spoken in the times since, through phone or otherwise. But there's decades worth of things to suss out, and one of them is known for his nebulous sense of time. A year after the South American tour, Slash casually makes it known that things have improved between them. Having said that, it's a still long way to the stage.

BTW, the South American tour leg gets a lot of lines drawn back to it.

a "confirmed" source with the band wrote:

"[Bumblefoot]  quit in South America. He told Axl he was done and (Las) Vegas would be his last run with the band."

Somewhere between South America and Vegas, Axl decided they had toured enough. During the Golden Gods show, he expressed desire to open up the Vault and focus on CD2 again. He would be lacking a guitarist, anyway. Somehow, this mutated into 'Axl's retiring' in the media. He did, however, trademark Stay of Execution during the stay in Vegas, for whatever reason.

What's curious is the history of the trademark. The record shows it was abandoned by the copyright bureau on July 27th, '15. What else happened on that day? DJ announced leaving Guns, for one.

Now, it's plausible that DJ was involved in SOE(tm), as something they came up with while in South America/Vegas. AFDem was happening. Ron was leaving. Axl wanted home. In our sleuth work, SOE(tm) was narrowed down to something relating to a live performance. It could've been a 2015 residency, to kick off CD2.

Late October, the Sixx AM album was released. First week projected sales were at 15-18K. They apparently nailed it with 17K. However, they only toured for a month (April). After that, DJ's been in the studio with them.

Two weeks before DJ's letter, Sixx AM FB wrote:

"Imagine the next two years filled with world tours, meet n' greets and more new music by Sixx:A.M. than your ears can handle. Well, that's exactly what's about to happen." - Dj ASHBA

here

However, DJ only announced leaving Guns when SOE(tm) fell through. There's a case to be made that he might've waited on Axl to deliver SOE/CD2 by this summer.

What he delivered, in January, were platinum awards for CD sales to DJ and Frank.

For all intents and purposes, Axl's done with CD now, and apparently wants to move on. Only by his clock.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

What does soe mean?

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

I suppose Stay Of Execution wink

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:
RaZor wrote:

@apex - hell yes it would.

I still think Axl has that in him though.  There were a couple of shows in Vegas last year where he was on fire, and he very well may be getting into fighting shape as we speak preparing for next year.

Reunion or not, I'm excited for what's to come next year. Well, hopefully next year. Lol

He needs to hook up with whoever is helping out Bruce Dickenson or Chris Cornell.

I've never heard Brice Dickenson live, but I've heard a few lackluster live performances by Cornell. He can hit all the notes fine, but he often mumbles lyrics to get there. I'm not crazy about it, I'd rather have clear lyrics without rasp than mumbled nonsense.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

@polluxlm & @apex-twin - good stuff

One thing I recall that doesn't quite fit this narrative though. After the release, there were rumors that Axl was unhappy the DVD came out, and that team Brazil had been fired. This rumor kind of made sense to me, because if Ron had already left, and Axl had to move on with a new guitarist, he may not have wanted to release something that features a member that was no longer in the band and wouldn't be in the next touring line up. Especially if he was already focusing on CD2/SOE and a supporting tour for it.

Made sense, to me, but maybe a BS rumor?? I don't think we have anything other than internet chatter to back it up.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, last two times I've seen Cornell he's sounded absolutely terrible. I mean awful. I thought Axl sounded better.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:
RaZor wrote:

Made sense, to me, but maybe a BS rumor?? I don't think we have anything other than internet chatter to back it up.

It happens.

Beta was thrown out of the house when she was caught having met and conversed with Doug Goldstein in early 2009. Dougie had even written a letter of apology, muchly dictated by Beta. The whole thing was a power struggle between Beta and Azoff's Front Line Management.

In the past, Axl has fired people when crossed. He fired the Josh Freese -era band several times and re-hired them by the next day. smile

johndivney wrote:

I laughed p hard @ mikka's first comment in that thread ^

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

One major void that still exists is the one left by the original Guns ‘N’ Roses. Following an interview earlier this summer in which Slash said he and Guns singer Axl Rose had rekindled their friendship, rumors of a reunion have been rampant.

Add in the fact that the current incarnation of Guns ‘N’ Roses is nearly all but disbanded, and rock aficionados are salivating at the idea of a full-scale reconciliation of the lineup that helped change the face of the genre with 1987’s “Appetite for Destruction” and 1991’s “Use Your Illusion I and II.”

Slash politely declined to broach the subject. With a new album in his sights, Slash is firmly committed to his current project, and he’s excited as always to bring his brand of rock to audiences worldwide.

http://www.kiowacountysignal.com/articl … -1/opinion

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah it looks like the key figures (Axl, Slash, & Duff) are going to keep quiet & try to let it blow over.

It's not going to go away though.

Board footer