You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Slash and Axl friends again?

apex-twin wrote:

I'd be perfectly happy with CD2 feat. those three songs - based on Slash's original riffs or something of the sorts - with Slash on guitar in them. It would, in my mind, close the circle in a redeeming fashion and bring the ChiDem saga to a more noble end than the BestBuy/Azoff conundrum.

Axl would need to get to at least 2010 shape to keep up with Slash in a live setting, tho. Anything less would be, well, embarrassing, remembering what could've been had they just grown up a bit sooner.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Actually, never mind the reunion – a reconciliation between Axl and Slash means we could get GN'R Rocksmith tracks...

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Considering what may be on the horizon, I decided to watch this for the first time in many years.......

Strange seeing this now. It's so awkward for so many reasons. Crazy this got a major buzz back then but of course he ruined it immediately. This 02 comeback makes zero sense in hindsight.

Massive pop from the crowd, especially when compared to the 06 VMA's when you could hear a mouse fart when he went up onstage.

Interesting how courteous he was in the post interview. Just seemed pretty happy & complacent.  His answers were kinda odd tho ('We replaced our crew"??  and "How do you rebuild something that was soo big"??  Your not really 'rebuilding' your more just entering into a new band, which has been done numerous times before. Not always successfully) Funny how f'ing annoying Jimmy Fallon was, surprised he's done as well as he has since then esp in the talk show format.

I too remember being stoked at this, chilling in my apartment, and unexpectedly watching it, I wasn't aware of any internet rumors (I think I've since read there were some).  As Jimmy Fallon was talking I sorta noticed his shirt, realized it was an old GnR shirt. I started shouting "No way!!" he kept implying they haven't been around, they've tried to get them, it's a rare performance etc... and I kept on shouting "No way!!"  as soon as I heard those opening riffs I started jumping up & down in excitement, keeping my eye on it.  Closest analogy I can come up with is seeing your team run back a kickoff or punt to win the Super Bowl I guess.

Anyway yeah at the time I thought it was a great performance, but in hindsight they were pretty bad. Axls vocals were subpar to say the least. That said I wish that lineup did a little more, especially in that era. Funny tho, the time between the end of the original lineup doing something significant to then was about 7-8 years (94/95).  The time from CD to now was about the same.  Maybe Axl gets the 7 year itch now & then.

AtariLegend wrote:

I never got why Fallon said "taking requests". I assume that was a joke, been wondering about that for 13 years.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

ID--

I don't have a problem and certainly not with you.  I read my post again from last night and I guess it comes off a tad harsh but parts of that was sarcasm which you didn't detect. Obviously I don't consider myself an insider.  You and I have swung from the nuts of the 01-02 era together for what, 11 years? A bit late in the game to get our panties in a wad, especially over Slash or supposed insiders. 19

Obviously there aren't rules about what you can talk about. As you know, up until about a month ago I had been MIA from the GNR world for a couple years. When DJ bailed you brought me up to date on the parts of the fiasco I missed.

Of course you've contributed to the forum. Not just this one either. Shit, how many times do I have to name drop you as one of my all time favorite posters for you to take the hint? 13

The VMA post was just a bit of reminiscing. What do you have against reminiscing?

Gong- Always liked you as well but that was definitely a low blow. Your sites is one of the couple GNR sites I've been lurking at since coming back and you and your members talk about GNR Truth a shitload more than they are discussed here.

Pasnow-- Everyone went ape shit over that. The haters ALWAYS tried to downplay that fact but no matter what gets said, they just have to dance around it.  Axl literally had the world by the balls for about a week or two. I realize not all the buzz was good but a buzz is a buzz. Everyone was talking about him again.  You have to strike at moments like that and hindsight tells us this was second to last chance saloon for him. Some may even say it was THE last chance to be taken seriously with a new lineup. Could easily make a case for that.

Atari- That's a brain teaser for sure. My take on it is Loder made some comment to him backstage regarding requests(probably a joke from Axl to Loder) and Fallon just ran with it.

I miss Loder. Biggest Axl/GNR nutswinger in the media. I'll never forget when he threw in the towel in 06. Newer fans of GNR didn't give a shit but us old timers took it as a bad sign.

Back on topic.... if these two were going to make up I wish Axl had NOT put This I Love on CD. The song is a little too cheesy for my tastes(he's trying to out Manilow Manilow) but it just begs for a Slash solo.  He's certainly smart enough to know that and he probably hesitated to put it on there for that reason.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Interesting news if it's true. If a reunion happens, I hope Axl works his ass off to get in shape both physically and vocally. When Duff first played with him a few years ago, that was the best Axl had sounded in quite awhile and I think it was driven by the new found friendship with Duff. He had the rasp and there was no Mickey Mouse bullshit. But to sustain that voice over an entire tour he would need to be in a lot better physical shape.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Considering what may be on the horizon, I decided to watch this for the first time in many years.......

Strange seeing this now. It's so awkward for so many reasons. Crazy this got a major buzz back then but of course he ruined it immediately. This 02 comeback makes zero sense in hindsight.

Massive pop from the crowd, especially when compared to the 06 VMA's when you could hear a mouse fart when he went up onstage.

His scream at the beginning was incredible, but the rest of it was a "disaster" as Axl himself once said.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Wow, just watched this. Been a long time.

Axl had great energy, the opening scream was killer but after that he was pitchy as hell.

Bucket was a fucking Monster player!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

His scream at the beginning was incredible, but the rest of it was a "disaster" as Axl himself once said.

Haha, just posted the same damn thing. Should have read all the replies first. Seeing a sober badass playing Slash back on stage with Axl would let me die happy.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Haha, just posted the same damn thing. Should have read all the replies first. Seeing a sober badass playing Slash back on stage with Axl would let me die happy.

But it will never be what it was. They all got old and no longer have the energy on stage that they once did. Axl has had the on-again/off-again Mickey Mouse voice for the last 14 years.

I was just watching the Hall of Fame performance with Slash/Duff/Steven/Gilby/Myles. There was a certain lack of energy/movement on stage. Not sure if it was just because Myles is so boring (stands there like a statue) and the other guys were just following his lead or what. But Duff, Slash, and Gilby all used to move around on stage a lot more back in the day and there was just more energy in general from their performance.

Board footer