You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Question to fans of 01-02 lineup...

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Buzz, sounds like you are starting to soften a bit on your position regarding this era of the band.  Is Bucket's solo material you have that assortment of tracks I sent you years ago or did you venture deeper into his discography? I don't remember that track list but it was some killer stuff and figured you'd appreciate some of it.

I also regret not getting to see them and those that did should consider themselves lucky. Just like in 06, the show close to me in 02 was cancelled.

I've actually softened up on a lot of things over the last few years.  I still enjoy what I enjoy, but life's too short to get bothered by the details you can't control.

I actually downloaded a ton of his stuff.  Some I liked, some not as much.  I never questioned the guy's talent...even back then.  I always felt he was better on his own than trying to be structured by Axl or within Axl's vision.  I think he was wasted in GnR...not just because they did so little, but because of the way he was utilized.

I really think there is a ton of Bucket and Brain stuff not released. They were in the studio writing for two years. I think SR, Sorry and Scraped were thrown on an existing album. Its why I'm really interested in The General.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If we go by the ratio on CD and the amount of material, there could be dozens of songs with Buckethead contributions. The question is if they'll be released with him no longer around. If Slash is to take part there isn't room for that virtuoso type guitarist. If he isn't he'll need two new players. That won't be easy given his standard. If he's settling for droll it seems ridiculous to not go the reunion way instead, which will not jive well with releasing CD material. 

The smart thing would be to release as much as possible in some pricey, exclusive package. Only the hardcores are going to buy it anyway. Then do the reunion tour.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I really don't think Slash will rerecord anything. I can see him filling in or doing an Izzy thing, but I think Axl is set on releasing CD II. My biggest hope is that Ron is removed from all recordings. He really didn't want to be a part of them anyway...

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
misterID wrote:

I really don't think Slash will rerecord anything. I can see him filling in or doing an Izzy thing, but I think Axl is set on releasing CD II. My biggest hope is that Ron is removed from all recordings. He really didn't want to be a part of them anyway...

Think we can sleep safe on Ron. Axl did not appear to be interested after the first go arounds. Doesn't bode well for his material being used over Bucket.

I don't mind some Ron though, his work on CD and Catcher was stellar I thought. Though most probably won't agree on the latter.

AtariLegend wrote:

An album by the 2001 line up would have been ideal, but that tour was doomed in 2002. Given what some of the members said back then, they obviously didn't get along especially Stinson/Bucket. If the album had been released back then I genuinely do believe it would have sold alot more considering the climate of the music industry vs. several years later even if the promotion was as disastrous as it was in 2008.

I can only assume that by the time the album was eventually released, Axl just didn't give a fuck anymore. He seems these days like an artist just going through the motions enjoying his life and touring once in a while, without caring about the music. I know some fans would prefer it if he was depressed and bitter about everything, but when he's photographed outside he seems to be having a good time drinking and seems to get along with Tommy on a personal level. These are just assumptions, but there was a time before 2006 where Axl supposedly never went out and partied and just had people around to dinner *see Kurt Loader interview*.

I'm not really sure what Fortus brings to the music, unless we find out he co-wrote tracks that were saved for Chinese Democracy II. Bumblefoot should never have been allowed to record anything given his musical contributions have been a detriment. I'd personally love if the album was released as it was intended in the early 2000's regardless of who is or isn't in the band. It might not sell 15 million copies world wide, but even if it had a hit single it wouldn't either. As a fan I want competition and that's "Chinese Democracy" II to be released and the saga to be in the past.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

I still can't get over the time that has elapsed since that era.

AtariLegend wrote:
Cramer wrote:

14 years and it'll be a decade since the album got released in a few years.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

It's been
14 years of silence
It's been
14 years of pain
It's been
14 years that are gone forever
And I'll never have again

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

supa, you're right he wasn't "dressed for success". I'm one of those people that doesn't really care what any of them are wearing but in a general sense it certainly matters. Main reason a lot prefer the 2006 period is the "presentation". He looked like he was back to kick ass and chew gum.

misterID wrote:

My biggest hope is that Ron is removed from all recordings. He really didn't want to be a part of them anyway...

I've wondered if Axl regrets in hindsight adding him in the first place. It didn't help things at all. Stuff he did on the title track and Shacklers good but pasting him on to already existing tracks was awkward and makes its cut and paste nature stand out too much.

Given what some of the members said back then, they obviously didn't get along especially Stinson/Bucket.

I wish Axl had done something to fix this. That Rio show is killer but there is not a lot of interaction between those guys.  They could obviously play well together, especially on their own material but it was doomed to hit a brick wall at some point anyways with a lack of personal chemistry. This really rings true in the fact that the 01 lineup was essentially a studio lineup that played a handful of shows.

Bucket is in some unreal zone at Rio but unfortunately its like he's in his own little world.  I think its on OMG where he's doing that dance and the others go right past him like he's not even there.

I can only assume that by the time the album was eventually released, Axl just didn't give a fuck anymore. He seems these days like an artist just going through the motions enjoying his life and touring once in a while, without caring about the music.

I think he stopped really caring about CD long before that. He obviously added Fortus at some point 02-05 and Ron/Frank in 06-07 but after 01-02 the few comments he made were not very positive.

I know some fans would prefer it if he was depressed and bitter about everything

I never understood why some fans loved this aspect of the saga. The bitterness pretty much killed the project and killed a lot of the excitement back then. His rants in 2002 were brutal and embarrassing. I wish a hard core fan at one of those shows would have been handed a mic and said "If you're working on a couple albums and doing this tour behind it so you and us fans can "move on", why do you keep whining at these concerts about Slash and Izzy?"

No one but hard cores would care but a documentary on that 02 tour would be very interesting. The rants, interviews,etc. in one show would highlight how bizarre it really was.  Talking about double albums, moving on and kicking the old band's ass then a few minutes later saying the infamous "soon isn't the word" makes you almost speechless.

when he's photographed outside he seems to be having a good time drinking and seems to get along with Tommy on a personal level. These are just assumptions, but there was a time before 2006 where Axl supposedly never went out and partied and just had people around to dinner *see Kurt Loader interview*.

This is what was sorely lacking in 01-02. It was a sign nothing was on the horizon. I didn't like how 2006 turned into another round of rehash but I did like how he started being seen in various places. It reminded me of the early 90s.

I'm not really sure what Fortus brings to the music, unless we find out he co-wrote tracks that were saved for Chinese Democracy.

I have always said this guy is overrated and will continue to say it until proven otherwise. I laughed when the CD credits came out and he did nothing but strum a guitar buried under Paul Huge on the album and his hardcore fans were shocked. Hell, nesquick was never seen again.

For those that weren't around back then, Nesquick is a guy who was on the forums for years doing nothing but praising Fortus and spewing venom at Buckethead because Bucket "had no soul, plays like a robot with no emotion",etc.  The leaks started happening and he started praising its solos, claiming the solo on Madagascar was the most beautiful solo ever and Buckethead could never do something like that on the album. When Fortus told fans it wasn't him but was in fact Buckethead, nesquick was speechless because like Lucy, he had some splainin' to do.

Me either. Hell,  I cant hardly believe its been seven years since CD's release. Same amount of time since Rio 01 and CD's release. That's crazy.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

polluxlm wrote:
misterID wrote:

Think we can sleep safe on Ron. Axl did not appear to be interested after the first go arounds. Doesn't bode well for his material being used over Bucket.

I don't mind some Ron though, his work on CD and Catcher was stellar I thought. Though most probably won't agree on the latter.

...And Shackler's too.

Board footer