You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Question to fans of 01-02 lineup...

James wrote:

THAT's it. Boston promo. Listen at :16. That is not on the demo or final version of the title track. If so,  its buried so deep its a dog whistle.

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

I feel after Vegas and rio he should've done the late night circuit and played some more gigs at smaller venues around the country. Then in summer 01 release cd as a double and start world tour ending two years later in California. Problem as I see it was the album was ready by this time but Axl seemed to doubt his work based on others opinions and probably the weight of the fact that he needed it to stand up to or surpass the old stuff. I wish it didn't matter to him and he released it all and damn to hell the outside opinions of producers/music moguls. Might seem stupid but I also wish during this time 01-04 he guested on or collaborated with some of the big name hip hop artists at the time. Exposure to a much younger audience and shit, with his fondness for that type of material and some of those beats and back beats going down on cd, I always thought that would have been smart. Besides, it seems a lot of those hip hop fuckers dig Axl from what I've seen and heard. Bottom line, album released, promoted and toured in 2001-2003. Even if there was a silent period after that, at least round one would've been a knockout and not a no contest. Thought that band had great potential. Now I'm just hoping for a reunion and for Axl, Slash, Duff and most of all Izzy to actually write together.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

rose22 wrote:

Might seem stupid but I also wish during this time 01-04 he guested on or collaborated with some of the big name hip hop artists at the time. Exposure to a much younger audience and shit, with his fondness for that type of material and some of those beats and back beats going down on cd, I always thought that would have been smart.

YES, THIS. Axl should've been all over Eminem's stuff in the early noughties. And hip-hop artists always need singers with powerful vocals to belt out the choruses.

If I had any skill at producing, I'd love to cut together some hip-hop/GN'R mash-ups, there's loads of potential there with tracks like If The World. Actually, I'm genuinely surprised that no-one's thought of sampling One In A Million – you could see someone like Kanye making enormous capital out of subverting the song's controversial reputation; and the "You're one in a million/You're a shooting star" stuff seems tailor-made for hip-hop self-aggrandisement.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

In 01/02 i was just excited to see Axl back in action...I remeber staying up late and downloading the Rio show mp3 by mp3 off the most rose website...I saw them at the acc in Toronto in 2002 from a Microsoft box about 10 rows from the stage on fincks side...that Era of the band was much more avant gard than I would normally listen to but hey it was Axl. ..

I've always said that Axl shoulda created a new band name. ...or toured solo ala ozzy...gnr has too much history and awesomeness to live up too

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I'm still kicking myself that I decided not to go to the London show in 2002 because I was an impoverished student and couldn't afford it. "They'll be back," I thought. "There's clearly a big promotional push around this new line-up, the album will be out soon and they'll come back to tour it." I missed my one chance to see the '02 line-up in the UK, and my one chance to see Buckethead in the UK, for a few pennies. The 2002 era remains my favourite line-up (if only Axl's voice had been up to its 2006 standard on the tour). Given the choice, I'd really struggle to choose between a return of Buckethead and Finck or Slash and Duff.

Board footer