You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: Ryan Adams

Will wrote:

Must admit I used to love Ryans solo material, and Whiskeytown too, but I stopped following his releases some time around the releases of Cold Roses, 29 and Jacksonville City Nights. They were all great albums, but I just kinda forgot to keep up on his new albums, and since I don't follow music news sites his latest releases passed me by.

Anyway an old buddy told me I had to hear Ryans latest album, and yeah it's pretty awesome 9 Just wondering if there's any other fans on Evo? I know Ryan has a ton of cool music out there on bootleg format but I've not taken the time to really dig into it other than the "mainstream bootlegs" like Suicide Handbook etc.

Would love some recommendations of other rarities if theres some diehard Ryan fan here big_smile

Will

Will wrote:

Before someone posts it, I'm not asking about Bryan Adams wink

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

He's a talented guy, I never got too into him but I saw him perform on PBS a few months back.  Sorta like Wilco or Jack Johnson as a guy who's always well known & reviewed, just never maintained a high level of success. Nothing wrong with that tho.

Will

Will wrote:

So Ryan has covered Taylor Swifts album "1989" in it's entirety 16 Opinions, all?

Personally, I'm not sure why Ryans done this - guessing he got paid to do it, which is fair enough really. As a long time fan of Ryan, to me though it seems to just be a cheap attempt to ride on Taylors huge popularity/coat-tails in my opinion, and it just baffles me that a songwriter as good as Ryan would need to stoop to this kind of gimmick in order to get more media attention hmm

I have no doubt that either Ryan or Taylor can write plenty of good tunes, I've listened to them both for years, but for the first time in my life I heard on BBC Radio 1 (the UK's biggest radio station) that tomorrow night they have Ryan calling in to chat about these covers. His cover album seems to be paying off if it's popularity he seeks, but I would have much rather tuned in to Radio 1 and heard one of the many, many, many awesome songs written by Ryan sad

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

I kind of like it. I think Ryan did something cool here, it's good hearing these songs in a classic/folk rock style.  A lot of the tracks are weaker IMO than Tay Tay's version, but it's still good. But I think he may have improved upon a couple, like out of style and bad blood.

Idk, I enjoyed it.

Have you listened to it yet, Will?  Gimmick aside, what did you think of Ryan's take?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Personally, I like Taylor. I think she's talented. Granted, she's from not far from me & I went to college about 20 minutes from her area (but she was about 5 lol) so I may be biased.

As to this, seems hit & miss. I only searched a few songs but was let down by 'Style'. Liz Phair did something along these lines on her debut album, only she used it as a song for song response to The Stones Exile On Main Street (hers was Exile In Guyville with each song basically a chicks answer to the Stones song).  Much more to it, I always thought it'd be cool for a girl to do that to AFD.

Board footer