You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: Tommy is out(?)

slcpunk wrote:

Tommy was interview by 89.3 The Current.  Here's roughly some of what he had to say...

September 13th, 2015

What's up with GN'R? You've been in Guns N' Roses for what 15 years?

Tommy Stinson:  17 years. Ya know, I, the back story on that I don't really want to talk about on air. What happened with it, it has nothing to do with Axl or any of that stuff. It had more to do with my personal situation. Basically, I played my last gig in Las Vegas with them and had to come home and tend to that the best I could. While Replacement's things were kinda being offered up. And, I you know, I sort of, I don't know. I think that my guess is...that at some point someone is going to call me and tell me what's up with that. Cause we've all left, we've left on friendly terms it not like a bad thing. Another guitar player DJ Ashba I think he "officially" quit  to do something but ya know I just, ya know, I had to walk away and take care of my stuff so. Taking care of my stuff, whatever my stuff is.

17 years later, boom. It was a very good gig for me I nothing bad to say.

I know there's been speculation going on in the press the last few day that Axl and Slash may be trying to mend fences.

Tommy Stinson: I'll be perfectly honest with you man, I hope they do because ya know, when you go back to where you started from and just check that out, and feel that for a moment after you've gone on and done all these other things ya know. There is a reward that comes with that I had that with the Mats stuff...it's a good thing, it's a good thing to do once in a while. And I hope it works out for them. If that actually happens.

Full audio of interview here @31:00: http://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2015/ … nt-studios

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

I think that my guess is...that at some point someone is going to call me and tell me what's up with that.

I don't read that as 'he's out'. He may not be involved in anything right now, but when he finally gets that call he might just as well be there again. It's basically what he said in that other interview before.

The only thing suggesting that GN'R actually might continue without him is that it seems that Richard and Dizzy have information that he doesn't.

johndivney wrote:

Thanks for the memories, & fucked up shit, & the loyalty, Tommy. Disappointing ending, don't think he needs to handle it in the press. If he really needs clarity pick up the phone or figure it out yourself. After 17 years of keeping quiet a few more years of stonewalling the gnr stuff wouldn't have hurt, instead he seems to have burned his bridges here..?? Or maybe he does have the info dizzy & Richard have??

I guess now we know the reunion lineup. Richard got the nod, duff'll be back on bass.
Makes sense even if it is hardlines on Tommy, he's prob been the 2nd longest serving/suffering member (whatever that was worth in the end..)

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I read it as he's still "in" unless Axl decides to reunite with Duff. There's little reason for him to find a new bass player if Tommy is available. He's been a pro from the start.

johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I read it as he's still "in" unless Axl decides to reunite with Duff. There's little reason for him to find a new bass player if Tommy is available. He's been a pro from the start.

He only needs a bass player if he's touring.
He's only doing a tour if it's a reunion.
There's no recording/writing.
He doesn't need a new bass player even if Tommy is unavailable. He doesn't need a bass player, or a band, anymore.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

He doesn't need a new bass player even if Tommy is unavailable. He doesn't need a bass player, or a band, anymore.

I am assuming in the case he wants to continue the band, in whatever form. What we hear from Dizzy and Fortus suggests he will.

johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I am assuming in the case he wants to continue the band, in whatever form. What we hear from Dizzy and Fortus suggests he will.

Yea, that's cause they're doing the reunion. You think they're hanging around watching pitman muck about on his computer?
Well maybe they are. I don't know what passes for fun anymore in gnr..

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

He's speaking of GNR in past tense.  Therefore, I think he's probably gone.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I think GN'R's in a holding pattern now. Contracts have expired (Axl may have finally learned that keeping people on retainer and haemorrhaging money during downtime is a daft idea), and Axl's polishing off the new album in advance of a release and tour. Who'll be on that tour is open to question at this point, and may well depend on who's available. Axl's tested the waters with Duff; the big obstacle to bringing him back was loyalty to Tommy, who's stuck with him through thick and thin over a decade and a half. Now that Tommy's open to walking away and doing his own thing, that brings up the possibility of Duff returning full-time.

My fantasy "reunion hybrid" line-up of Axl, Slash, Fortus, Duff, Frank, Dizzy and Pitman is starting to look increasingly plausible, though of course Slash's touring plans (and the fact that Axl would surely need to have him lay down some guitar tracks on the album) would seem to suggest he's not going to be involved any time soon.

Most likely outcome: Axl convenes a band to tour in 2016, probably including Duff, Frank, Dizzy and Pitman; possibly including some high-profile shredder like Zakk Wylde, or maybe even bringing Robin Finck back into the fold. Fandom and the music press throw a massive hissy fit over being denied the Axl/Slash reunion they were "promised", despite the fact that they were the ones inventing it from whole cloth. The presence of Duff and Dizzy will be conveniently ignored.

The thing that concerns me is this: if Tommy is out (and it's still an if at this stage), who's the General? Tommy was the one who organised rehearsals, handled all the day-to-day stuff like setlists and so forth. So who's going to take on that role now?

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Basically Axl has the luxury of two bass players. I think if Tommy gets the call he'll be there (although from his language I get the feeling he thinks it may be over). If it's a reunion then Duff'll be there.

Board footer