You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Charlie Sheen HIV POSITIVE

misterID wrote:

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/11/16/cha … etectable/

Looks like he was sleeping with chicks when he knew he was infected, but didn't use protection. Jeeezus 4

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Had Travolta pegged myself, but I guess Sheen was more obvious.

Winning.

AtariLegend wrote:

Don't want to talk about the main topic, it's disgusting.

Just curious though, has Sheen made any serious films since Wall Street/Platooon in the 80's. I know he's been in loads of throw away comedies like Hotshots and those terrible Scary Movies films, but surely there's another film I'm missing that was any good?

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Not that surprising, given his lifestyle. The good news is that you can live a long time with HIV now. In fact there was an article I read not long ago by a doctor who said given the choice between diabetes and HIV, he'd pick HIV. I had a roommate back in 1991 discover he was HIV. He's still alive today and never took any meds. He doesn't drink, smoke or use drugs. I also met a guy a few years ago who was one in one of the original test groups in San Francisco in the 80s for AIDS. He is pushing 60 now and would break your hand when he shakes it. I'd say he is in the top percentile in his age group in regards to physicality. The guy is always in the gym, and eats only the best food he can (His grocery bill is probably twice the average because of this) and is super positive (uhh...pardon the pun.) Everybody else in his original study has since died. To think he's lived with HIV since the early 80s is rather incredible.

So for people like Sheen, he was born it the right era. HIV is a manageable disease now, which is really fantastic news. In fact Vice is about to do a show on this topic in December I believe, announcing the big breakthrough they have made with it.

Wall Street is one of my favorite movies of all time. A shame that they neutered Gordon Gekko in the second one though. I think Sheen had his big films all back in that era, and then that was it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

That is incredible. I watched the Larry Kramer documentary a few months back and was amazed seeing the old footage of those guys with HIV/aids, looked pretty healthy and were dead months later.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

That is incredible. I watched the Larry Kramer documentary a few months back and was amazed seeing the old footage of those guys with HIV/aids, looked pretty healthy and were dead months later.

In my 20s I lived in, and worked as a waiter in, the part of my city that had large gay community. In fact there were two places I worked when I was 21/22 that were almost entirely gay men, an Italian restaurant for dinner, and a fusion cuisine spot during the day. Because of this integration into the gay community you were exposed to the AIDS epidemic. Sadly it was part of their culture: Young men who became sick and died, often alone. Over 5 years I (casually) knew maybe a dozen men who died of this disease. I'd say most were in their 30s.

There is a great documentary on Netflix about the start of this plague and how it shaped San Francisco back in the 80s. There are some amazing stories, and some very sad ones. What struck me more than anything was how ignorant and cruel many people were to these AIDS victims back then. I believe it was Ryan White who had his family's home burned down? Religious leaders claiming it was God's punishment etc (I'd also guess that Polio was God's way of punishing kids who didn't eat their vegetables too?) Parents who refused to visit their dying son in the hospital etc.

Amazing the progress that has been made. I always figured we would eliminate cancer long before this (although Vice had a promising expose on this as well.)

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah, I remember the Ryan White story when that happened. I was a kid, but I remember how that story blew up. I have to hand it to Michael Jackson, when he got involved it really changed the way the story was being reported. At the start, when he was trying to go to school, the family was not being reported on very kindly.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I went to grade school with Ryan White's cousin. What a sad story.

I would rather have HIV than Cancer. Cancer is the worst killer in this country in my opinion. I know so many people that have died from Cancer.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I went to grade school with Ryan White's cousin. What a sad story.

I would rather have HIV than Cancer. Cancer is the worst killer in this country in my opinion. I know so many people that have died from Cancer.

I agree. There is a three part cancer series on Netflix (I believe it's a PBS production.) It's 6 hours between all three episodes, but man do they cover it all. I'll be honest, it's difficult not to be scared after watching it, and some of the stories are tough to watch (especially the kids.)

The only thing we can do is take care of ourselves. Diet, exercise, proper sleep and so on. The older you get the more strict you have to get about it too, which is the exact opposite of what you'll want to do, haha. Sugar is also proving to be a killer...bigtime (cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc you name it.)

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

Yeah, I remember the Ryan White story when that happened. I was a kid, but I remember how that story blew up. I have to hand it to Michael Jackson, when he got involved it really changed the way the story was being reported. At the start, when he was trying to go to school, the family was not being reported on very kindly.

There were a few people who stepped up and made a big difference with how we viewed AIDS victims. Michael Jackson was one, and Princess Diana was certainly another. When nobody would touch these people, she would visit AIDS clinics, hug these children and hold the hands of dying patients. I couldn't tell you much else about her, but I always admired her for that.

Board footer