You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Looks like rehearsals have started!

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't buy any of this, including Axl's preference of Frank. If Axl is willing to show Tommy fucking Stinson the door, with ease, for Duff McKagan, then he would have no problem showing the door to Frank, if necessary. I mean I think Frank's the best, but come on, this is a reunion we're talking about.

I think the hangup, IF they are working on a tour might be insurance problems. Steven probably wants ALL IN on this reunion, and the thing is Slash is best friends with the guy, and there has to be concerns about not only Steven's addiction, but also his ability to even play the tracks, AND what his mental health will be if he doesn't get the gig. Matt probably wants in, and is a FAR MORE RELIABLE option that the fans would love to have (even though the diehards want either Steven or Frank, depending on the camp), and then there's Frank, who's the safest option, but going to cause fallout in other camps, but also has logged nearly 10 years in the band.

Ultimately they're all probably still working out the logistics of how this is going to work, money, the fact that even if Steven and/or Matt are involved, they're not getting Izzy's cut, let alone Axl/Slash/Duff.

Personally, IF they really intend this to be a reunion, there's still a part of me that would be curious if Axl would play it safe (with Frank), or take a real chance with a Steven/Matt combo. If it does happen, ballsy, and congrats to Slash & Duff for sticking to it, because if Steven & Matt are apart of this, I think this is solely by Slash & Duff's involvement.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Folks on MyGNR in the Coachella thread claim first weekend is in danger due to the drummer situation not being solved. Many saying it is bullshit but Teejay and one other heard Matt was told by Duff and Slash he would have involvement and Adler has some kind of an incentive and are trying to get the language right. Basically some think the Band still isn't determined, which we too have wondered. So Axl wants Frank obviously. Slash and Duff want Matt and Steven involved.

I think GNR plays both weekends, but I think some feelings are about to be getting hurt sooner rather than later.

Hmmm, that's different from what I hear. Matt isn't in any way a deal breaker, but Steven could be in line for something. I think the band line up is pretty solid.

I agree the band lineup they have now is solid, but not to beat this into the ground... but like everyone else, all i'm hearing is Frank IS IN. Frank is the guy. I've heard no wavering from that, and that more than likely they're negotiating how the others will guest appear.

Then again... what if....

What if....

What if ALL THREE were hired? Crazy right? Steven plays AFD, we say bye, then Matt's brought out for UYI, we say bye, then Frank's brought out for CD and new songs. Hmmm...

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

Nothing is confirmed until the band says something...

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

I just saw the HOF performance for the first time, and I gotta say I was unpleasantly surprised with Steven's performance. He's very inconsistent throughout any given song, which is very unfortunate. Props to him for being as good as he still is, given his medical problems, but it's nowhere near the level needed for a professional touring band in my opinion. I really hope they settle for Matt or Frank, and let Steven maybe do one or two special guest appearance on a song or two at most. Anything more would be... unfortunate.

I also don't buy the Coachella rumor, they could decide on a drummer on the day of the first show and there would still not be an issue, no reason for them to rush things if they haven't made up their minds (our brokered a deal) yet.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
TheMole wrote:

I just saw the HOF performance for the first time, and I gotta say I was unpleasantly surprised with Steven's performance.

Here's Adler in 2015. Granted, it's a rehearsal setting with a backing tape, but how do you like his drumming?

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

TheMole wrote:

I just saw the HOF performance for the first time, and I gotta say I was unpleasantly surprised with Steven's performance. He's very inconsistent throughout any given song, which is very unfortunate. Props to him for being as good as he still is, given his medical problems, but it's nowhere near the level needed for a professional touring band in my opinion. I really hope they settle for Matt or Frank, and let Steven maybe do one or two special guest appearance on a song or two at most. Anything more would be... unfortunate.

I also don't buy the Coachella rumor, they could decide on a drummer on the day of the first show and there would still not be an issue, no reason for them to rush things if they haven't made up their minds (our brokered a deal) yet.

I think Steven is great and atleast he isn't as horrible as Peter Criss was at the end of his last time with Kiss...

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axl in, I like how you are thinking!

I personally would love Matt and Adler to play 2 kits at the same time!  I saw Grace Potter the other night and even she had two full drum kits and that sound was huge and amazing. Some songs one drumme would just play bongos, maracas, etc, where as others they would play in the same time but different fills, the same fills, etc. there would be no need for pitman sub bass with two kick ass drummers going. I say fuck it and bring all three like Axilin says.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
TheMole wrote:

I just saw the HOF performance for the first time, and I gotta say I was unpleasantly surprised with Steven's performance.

Here's Adler in 2015. Granted, it's a rehearsal setting with a backing tape, but how do you like his drumming?

That's much better! Maybe he was nervous in the live setting? Having said that, you can still hear what I was talking about in this video as well at one point (3:28-ish), when the songs goes into the coda, the fill he's playing is a bit inconsistent there on the seventh snare hit (it comes a fraction late). I know this might sound awfully nitpicky, and truth it really is not worthy of bringing up here in this video, but in the HOF videos he does this kind of thing many times over in each song (at least the two I've seen: PC and SCOM).

He still masters his snare hits though. That rimshot is bang on each time, which is the hallmark of a good rock drummer: you can only get a good fat rock sound when every 'regular' non-roll snare hit is a rimshot.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Adler with rehearsals could handle it. The RNRHOF was thrown together on short notice. Fuck slash had to rent his gear.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
TheMole wrote:

That's much better! Maybe he was nervous in the live setting?

I'm the last one to make excuses for Adler, but it was his biggest show since Farm Aid. He also had more substance abuse issues than he does now (he says). Add in the short notice and despite knowing the AFD songs like the back of his hand, he was showing up at RRHOF as a handicap.

Board footer