You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Steven Tyler says that he has been working on the return of GN'R

James wrote:
Rex wrote:

All this -blank- is dead talk is fucking weird. There's plenty of good music out there. Just because it's not being spoon-fed to you doesn't mean it's not there.

Believe me, when I talk like that I realize I'm saying the same damn thing my grandpa said in the 80s. Full circle.

I can still picture me and my cousins in the back room blaring Thriller and him walking by and saying "Good God, how do you listen to that crap? Turn that down!"

johndivney wrote:

Well popular music is different now. Then it was created by disenfranchised angry white kids, or kids who'd been abused by their parents, then sold to you by businessmen. Now it's created by businessmen, corporations & teams & sold to you buy the next white girl who sucked the most dick. Quality is different nowadays. But it's not being made for us so it's really not our business..

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

What's funny is the friction of different musical influence/direction is a huge reason GN'R was great and it's a big reason they broke up much faster than a band like AC/DC that just pumps out the same fucking thing for 40 years. I dig AC/DC as much as anyone and you have to admire them for soldiering on after Bon's death, but their discography suffers from "too much of the same thing" syndrome.

I look at GN'R and think yeah it sucks that they broke up after a short time but at least they went in very different directions on their 2nd and 3rd/4th records. They could have stayed together and just rehashed Appetite about 10 different times over the last 25 years. We would miss out on all the very different but legitimately great material they gave us with Lies/UYI.

GN'R was a more volatile version of Led Zeppelin. Every album was different.

The reunion giving us their version of IV is a wet dream of mine. As a band they deserve it.

James

James wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Now it's created by businessmen, corporations & teams & sold to you buy the next white girl who sucked the most dick. Quality is different nowadays.

It really is sad. Today's stars(not just music but TV, movies,etc.) aren't even interesting.

I still say the rise of "reality" TV played a role in the decline of all pop culture. We entered the era where anyone can be a celebrity and it requires no talent whatsoever. It spilled in to all areas.

Kardashians.....and the sign of the apocalypse might have been that Honey Boo Boo craze. I remember flipping through channels for crime shows(this was a few years ago), saw a commercial for that shit, looked it up, and I was shocked that the media thinks we're all stupid enough to believe that an ugly fat kid from a trailer park is actually winning beauty pageants. Millions watched that drivel. I have always boycotted these trash shows. Closest thing I got to so called reality TV was some of those Pawn shows that I watched for awhile before I couldn't stand it anymore. They pretend Chumlee is poor yet people filmed him driving a brand new Maserati.

I watch the First 48 but that's more a crime doc than reality TV. Its actually real.

Current music is noise pollution. I'm sure there are exceptions if you can find it in the ocean of shit on youtube and wherever else people go but I'm not digging for a nugget of gold. I'll just stick to the stuff I've listened to for years. Someone can alert me when the next big thing releases the modern day AFD, Superunknown, or Rumors and hits the world over the head with a sledgehammer.

johndivney wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Now it's created by businessmen, corporations & teams & sold to you buy the next white girl who sucked the most dick. Quality is different nowadays.

It really is sad. Today's stars(not just music but TV, movies,etc.) aren't even interesting.

I still say the rise of "reality" TV played a role in the decline of all pop culture. We entered the era where anyone can be a celebrity and it requires no talent whatsoever. It spilled in to all areas.

Kardashians.....and the sign of the apocalypse might have been that Honey Boo Boo craze. I remember flipping through channels for crime shows(this was a few years ago), saw a commercial for that shit, looked it up, and I was shocked that the media thinks we're all stupid enough to believe that an ugly fat kid from a trailer park is actually winning beauty pageants. Millions watched that drivel. I have always boycotted these trash shows. Closest thing I got to so called reality TV was some of those Pawn shows that I watched for awhile before I couldn't stand it anymore. They pretend Chumlee is poor yet people filmed him driving a brand new Maserati.

I watch the First 48 but that's more a crime doc than reality TV. Its actually real.

Current music is noise pollution. I'm sure there are exceptions if you can find it in the ocean of shit on youtube and wherever else people go but I'm not digging for a nugget of gold. I'll just stick to the stuff I've listened to for years. Someone can alert me when the next big thing releases the modern day AFD, Superunknown, or Rumors and hits the world over the head with a sledgehammer.

I was in the barbers today. All they talked about was the latest series of celebrity big brother. To be polite I tried to talk to them b asking who such & such a celebrity was - whoever they were talking about became a celebrity off of reality tv! I was just completely out of my element, didn't have a clue.

Yea it's true today's stars aren't as interesting - or talented. In fact, I'd say most are actually really fucking stupid. A lot of them are simply seduced by tv & the images it feeds them, they believe it as reality.
Before tho, our stars were made from talent & because they had no other options (see James brown/billie holliday/jacko/Axl). Talented people each but other avenues to leading a normal life were closed off from these people due to their personal circumstances. Today's 'star's' see celebrity as a career choice as opposed to their only route.

Things have changed, as the great man said (Dylan).

I do keep up with music & stuff I love, but it's hard to shift thru the noise of what people are trying to sell you. It has gotten worse. Maybe I'm just realising it more as I get older but I think it has gotten worse. Not that there weren't generic cardboard cut-out replaceable stars from before, there just weren't as many and there was more room for other people to connect. & even the generic pop stars were making amazing songs from time to time, these days.. Well, just less so again..

My method is just to join the dots from artist to artist - record label to record label - trustworthy blog/message board review & so on.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Steven Tyler wrote:

Just don't forget this: it don't happen 'till it happens.

This line put the fear of god into me.

I can't even fathom the level of hate and disappointment online if GNR bailed on this now, or if some new fight occurred and Slash and Duff were to back out.

I think Axl would be done with all promoters too. Don't think Slash would walk out of it clean either.

Not saying I think it's going to happen, but damn, if it did yikes

AtariLegend wrote:

I think the moment anything at all goes wrong, Axl will be blamed by the media and fan boards even if he has nothing to do with it. Everything that goes right on these shows/during this peroid will be down to Slash being there.

Part of the reason I doubted this would actually happen before the announcements.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Indeed.

The way it is going down is really odd too.

In some respects they seem to be distancing themselves from callling it a reunion by not doing the standard interviews and all that. I mean no one really expects that from Axl - but where is Slash? Perhaps keeping his mouth shut so as not to accidently ruin it? lol.

Compare with something like the Soundgarden reunion, or Van Hallen, or even something like Ac/Dc return from the wilderness during Black Ice or again for Rock or Bust.....and the silence becomes deafening.

Is it just because team brazil have always liked to be a little secretive about things? Is it because there's a surprise planned for Adler/Izzy? or is it more that only slash/duff are back and so they just downplaying the reunion aspect....

It's awkward though because on one hand the video plays up the "They're back" aspect - so is this a reunion or not GNR?

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Steven Tyler wrote:

Just don't forget this: it don't happen 'till it happens.

This line put the fear of god into me.

I can't even fathom the level of hate and disappointment online if GNR bailed on this now, or if some new fight occurred and Slash and Duff were to back out.

I think Axl would be done with all promoters too. Don't think Slash would walk out of it clean either.

Not saying I think it's going to happen, but damn, if it did yikes

I think ALL of their careers will take a massive hit that they will not completely recover from. It will not all be on Axl like some may think. The most vocal one of all(Slash) will be in the deepest doo doo although the GNR brand itself could not recover either. Its too late in the game for another GNR Chinese reboot. Fans will immediately chalk it up as hogwash and not even bother. Dangling Chinese carrots  year after year is one thing.....can only dangle a reunion carrot one time.

In some respects they seem to be distancing themselves from callling it a reunion by not doing the standard interviews and all that.

Yep. Its only a reunion to the media and fans. GNR are calling it a "regrouping" in official press releases. I don't need to be a minister of propaganda to understand what they are doing here. 16

Compare with something like the Soundgarden reunion, or Van Hallen, or even something like Ac/Dc return from the wilderness during Black Ice or again for Rock or Bust.....and the silence becomes deafening.

Yes it is and while I do applaud the way TB has handled some of this so far, I want them to ditch the Scooby Doo mystery act that was used in the Chinese era. It didn't work then and its really not going to work now.

Having said that, it is not unprecedented and while many disagreed with me, I stated years ago that the GNR camp were certainly paying attention to how those reunions(VH and SG) played out. You bring up Van Halen.....and it may be a very valid reunion to compare it to. VH were very silent during the entire run. Hardcore fans were livid. Roth was kept on a very short leash and the VH brothers didn't say much either. It reached the point where fans knew just to enjoy the shows and expect little of any promo. The album was a bonus of course.

That reunion could've been so much bigger than it was had they showed that they enjoyed it and were willing to step into the open arms of the media.

Soundgarden certainly promoted there reunion but even they held back to an extent. Not many interviews with all of them and when they did talk, it was only about the shows and of course music. They knew fan interest was mainly in new material and the vault and guess what they focused on? New material and the vault. Casuals were just happy to go to a show and hear the hits. In the five years of the SG reunion, they still have not tackled the issues publicly as it was a mess and SG even had their own "Beta" to an extent....Cornell's ex wife and SG's manager. The fight between Cornell and Ben has never been mentioned either. At this point fans don't even care either.

I think GNR will deal with their internal issues in the same way. As long as fans are getting what they want, internal strife means little in the grand scheme.  During this tour if they unloaded a new song, would you give even the tiniest of shits about that cancer crap or how many times Slash showed up to Axl's house drunk?

I know I wouldn't.

Is it just because team brazil have always liked to be a little secretive about things? Is it because there's a surprise planned for Adler/Izzy? or is it more that only slash/duff are back and so they just downplaying the reunion aspect....

I hope TB approaches things differently but it is definitely all being downplayed as they have the media promoting it themselves and a fan base that is doing cartwheels down the street. This cant last forever though. Like Soundgarden, GNR get a free pass in the opening stages of the reunion. Nothing is expected but a nostalgia ride and anyone disappointed in getting anything else this early cannot blame them. Its when the second round starts that these issues have to be addressed.....the elephant in the room of course being the vault and/or any new material being worked on.

It's awkward though because on one hand the video plays up the "They're back" aspect - so is this a reunion or not GNR?

This is also a question that needs to be answered but at this point leaving it up in the air doesn't hurt them and I can also do what Fernando advised hardcore fans........read between the lines.

I already said this but its great to see you back. I wish you had been here when this reunion hoopla first started.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Going back to Van Halen again, I feel alot of people forget that first press conference for the 2007-2008 tour. Dave said it loud and clear that this isn't a reunion; but a new band. He was right. Wolfgang brought the Van Halen name back together and got the band to do shit again. Even recommending his dad, Eddie to try to settle their differences and get Dave back in the band. It sucks that Micheal Anthony couldn't come back as well; but it happens. Axl and Eddie have alot of similarities in personality. While the band came out with a stellar come back and from what I've heard very successful tour this past year, I do hope they have some more new music in the cards. As for Guns, this is basically a new version of the band not necessarily a reunion to us forum users. Perhaps Izzy coming back into the fold for some shows and songwriting in the studio could change that factor. I see Duff as the Alex Van Halen in this scenario where he's going with the flow and glad things are patched up when it comes to a new tour. As Alex never had any hard feelings between Sammy or anyone else that has come and gone in the band. He was mostly there to keep Eddie happy and stand by his family. Whether it be the right or wrong reasons. Wolf played a combo of both Izzy and Duff in some respects. I'm happy either way to be honest. As long as music coming out is on Axl's mind. ...And it doesn't take another fucking decade.

The whole "new brother" thing that Dave and Eddie did during the press conference might happen with Axl and Slash. Probably alot more genuine and professional though. 16

Board footer