You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Story Of Guns N' Roses' To Air On BBC FOUR In U.K.

johndivney wrote:

I didn't really think much of it either tbh.. I thought any number of fans could've pieced together the footage & told the story a bit more clearly.

There's still a great GnR film to be made. Or maybe 30-odd years is too much time to cover for just one film. They'd have been better just focusing on the making of AFD...??

Olorin wrote:

No trashing, pretty equal but maybe shallow cause it never delved into each one's demons too much, but I think after all the slighted shite shite thatss been out for so long, this has been a really great, long over due hell bye gone tale of Guns N'Fuckin Roses...
They never shat on CD or VR, it was a mere footnote at the end, as should be. It ended with Sash's words that things had cooled with him and Slash.

Olorin wrote:

Might have been a bit superficial for us, but we are loonys who demand every bit of info, but it was a great show, I loved it!

I'd prob agree with this.
There was some good stuff. But it just wasn't the film I was kinda wanting I think. It was a bit shallow yea, that was the major thing for me. But like I say, it's a lot to try and unwind in one film. I mean you could prob make 5 individiual films about the AFD 5 & still not get the whole story on tape.

Another part of the problem is just being so close to it - I don't recall any footage or interviews that I hadn't seen before - cause of course the filmmakers didn't have access to the vault. So there really was nothing new for me in it. & ive been going thru some of the old stuff again since the turn of the year so it's all still fresh for me. Haven't heard yet what anyone else thought.

AtariLegend wrote:

Didn't like it. It opens with what might as well be a 20 minute music video excluding the silly biker animations. Half the story is about Slash and Adler joining the band, so their's no one there to tell the other sides.

It's not really the story of Appetite, but theirs an hour spent on that era with random talking (out of chronological order). It's cool that the BBC had access to so much footage, but they couldn't interview anyone other than Matt that was their for the UYI era? Everyone else from what I read was dissociated from the band, except Canter who... well we can discuss another time.

The break up just get's skimmed over like it all happened at once and it doesn't really go into any detail on why Adler was fired (just says drugs). Izzy's importance is skimmed over too, except them saying that he was underrated, was a friend of Axl and needed for writing. Nothing of course is mentioned of Izzy basically playing every other tour with whatever the line-up is since he left.

Dizzy isn't mentioned once, in fact they show the You Could Be Mine video with Arnold looking at all the band members and it quickly skims away before Dizzy is shown and then back to see whomever's shown after Dizzy.

No talk about UYI's really other than that their names were mentioned, in fact other than showing Gilby and a clip from the Freddie Mercury Concert nothing from that era is shown at all.

It's pretty crap. It's like they avoided most of the history from the UYI era, because they ran out of time due to the extended music videos and silly animations where people talk about random events from that era.

The contract signing is a little bit curious, as they mention that it was intended to keep the band together. No talk of ransoms, but no other details other than that it was wrote by a lawyer so that Axl would get the name, but have to give up rights to early songs... then said they broke up anyway. It's really just thrown in there and takes up like 30 seconds of the 90 minute documentary.

Chinese Democracy is never mentioned once. Apparently Slash, Matt and Duff left around the same time. They show lots of clips of Slash at various concerts near the end and VR with Slash, Duff and Matt.

Shows Izzy playing with Ju Ju Hounds, Adler playing in a room by himself and Axl playing the 2002 VMA awards all for a split second (I guess it's supposed to be a brief where are they now?).

Final 10 minutes are bizarre, just random tabloid stories and then Zuzat says Axl believes Slash died when he OD and his soul flew away in a crow with a silly crow animation. Zuzat also briefly blames Axl not attending sound checks for issues at concerts and the 2 riots.

Oh and Hall of Fame is briefly mentioned, they mention Axl not showing up, but don't mention Izzy (as is usually the case by the media) and of course not Dizzy.

It ends with a 6 biker animation (Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Matt and Adler) driving off to a show which looks bizarre and closes with the line "since this was completed, the band have agreed to reunite at Coachella".

So it's crap. A little bit too much Vicky Hamiliton nut swinging, extended music videos and talking out of chronological order about random things. With no actual story of the band. It's only really told from Adler's side and Vicky Hamilton/Zuzat. Matt does talk, but the post Adler era isn't really that prominent and told by people who weren't involved then. Adler says there wouldn't have been a riot at Saint Louis, because he would have stayed on stage and played for the crowd.

Matt laughs off the riots and just says the album sales sky rocketed.

johndivney wrote:

My friends & family mostly enjoyed it. It was more just reacquainting themselves w/the band & glad to see something on tv about them that wasn't dismissive. They're not quite as obsessive or critical as I am tho.. & they'd been drinking, I wasn't. It was ok for an unofficial doc. The whole Alice down the rabbit hole/motorbike shite was a waste of time, like wtf is this shit got to do w/GnR.

Yea it lacked depth but like I said, there's prob just too much over the 30years for one 90min doc. Prob would be better focusing a film on certain periods rather than try & cover everything in one sitting, unless you're an expert filmmaker w/real knowledge of the goings on.

AtariLegend wrote:

Worst line of the night, apart from Adler suggesting that he'd have prevented the ST Louis riot by playing by himself on stage was Adler saying Poison were like the Beatles and Gun's N Roses were like the Stones.

I'm sorry not to offend any of you across the sea, but Poison is basically a trivia question. Completely irrelevant to history outside of "Every Rose Has A Thorn" going on complication CDs. It was pretty embarrassing that Adler said that.

Here's the video thanks to MYGNR.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I just watched the BBC documentary. I enjoyed it and I loved how at the end the mention Coachella and it shows the Guns rolling up in a motor cycle to the huge stadium.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

We heard from the AFD 5 plus Matt. No Dizzy or nu GNR. IS this a sign we get to see all these folks together?

johndivney wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

We heard from the AFD 5 plus Matt. No Dizzy or nu GNR. IS this a sign we get to see all these folks together?

I thought it was pretty telling who agreed & who didn't agree to participate. Seemed to me some people knew they were off the shitlist/didn't want to do any press/say anything that could be misconstrued.
I dunno tho. I don't see the point in Axl throwing Adler or Sorum a guest spot here or there or even full time. What's he got to gain from either of those two being in the band??

I think it was just p much par for the course for an unofficial doc tbh. They key players didn't need to voice their opinion/cash from the interview, others did/and/or didn't give a fuck anymore.

Canter's involvement was actually the weirdest one for me. What did he gain from it? & the stuff he has, reckless road & the concert footage, what does the big guy think of that stuff & does he want ownership of it? Canters footage & interview was the best thing on there for me.

AtariLegend wrote:

Well... Hopefully no one read this post before I edited it 18.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah Shuffle It All was in MTV's rotation for about a month. Same thing with Duff's Believe In Me.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Izzy looked so damn cool in that footage.

How did Slash play so fucking good on heroine. Do you think he played live on heroine or he did heroine on off days?

Board footer