You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Bands/Artists that should have been bigger

PaSnow wrote:

The Dead Milkmen - Coming from Philadelphia these guys were minor hits in the late 80's. I remember listening to the Sunday night local music show when I was about 15 to hear them in around 87. Bringing their cassette tape (Big Lizard in my Backyard) to 8th grade in my walkman. They had so many good songs besides "Punk Rock Girl", punk with talent & humor they epitimized the 80's sound. From the humorous spin on VFW to the Nu-Wave Instant Club Hit (You'll Dance to Anything) ("80 pounds of makeup on your art-schooled skin, 80 pounds of IQ located within. I met Andy Warhol at a really sheik party, blow it out your harido cause you work at Hardees.) My brother & I listened to that song a few years ago & just cracked up laughing at some of the lyrics. Oddly enough, they even reference Ecstacy, on a song recorded back in 88. Anyway, after Nirvana broke & bands like Butthole Surfers (whom they also reference by singing "There's a time for lovin, and a time for giving, but ripping off the Butthole Surfers is how we make our living)  & Flaming Lips broke the bigtime with humorous music, I thought they'd get a shot. Unfortunately, they never did. Sadly, a few years ago, one member took his own life. Check em out, I think their best album was Eat Your Paisley.

Sebadoh - Similar to Elliot Smith, from Boston (used to be in Dinosaur Jr) nearly every song was about lost love, sadness, and being lonely. They would swap instruments (play bass or guitar) had 2 singers (one folk style, one more punk) and produced damn near 1 record a year. 1 album actually had over 40 songs on it. Mostly home recorded. Best album, Bakesale.

Uncle Tupelo - Similar to Soul Asylum, sadly they split in 1993. They went on to form 2 great bands Wilco & Son Volt, because the singers couldn't get along. Great Folk rock, similar to Soul Asylum's Gravedancers Union.

Pavement - Huge indie band. Similar to Weezer, very free & unstructured arrangements, makes me feel 19. Fav album Crooked Rain Crooked Rain.

Others:
Silkworm
Quiksand - Heavy like Rage, check out Manic Compressions 'Thorn in my side' and "Landmine Spring'

Some other good one's were mentioned. For Sonic Youth check out "Teenage Riot", indie rock's "Teen Spirit"

Re: Bands/Artists that should have been bigger

nugdafied wrote:

Urge Overkill

Board footer