You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Just say no to corporate cash grabs

apex-twin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

What the hell are we bitching about today?

Hedonic adaptation.

After so many years, we get Axl, Slash and Duff.
After the initial rush, it's Izzy or bust.

After Izzy guesting, it's new music.
A never-ending cycle of demands.

Each acquiescence creates a new stipulation.
It's impossible for Axl to win everyone over.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Who cares what Izzy decides. I don't consider the 92-93 time period to be GN'R except for those 93 shows when Izzy came back. But even then it wasn't the real deal because they didn't create any new music.

Jump to 4:10 and retype "That isn't GN'R, it's just not good enough" axl9221duff

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm good with what we've got and I'm not writing off that we'll get more.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

That sounds like a level-headed approach there, Buzz.

There's this one catchphrase Axl likes to throw out to characterize the situation.

'This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'

Life's short. What we'll get from Guns depends on them. How we take it is on us.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Chow, where did the writer say Slash and Axl suck?

Well he didn't use the word 'suck' i'll grant but:

"Slash liked Deep Purple when this band got together. Axl was some Midwestern podunk zero. Duff was a directionless punk rocker."

- This kinda implied that everything cool about their style only comes from izzy.

"He was the chief architect in this psycho circus and when he pulled out, it was over."

- This disavows 2 years of the UYI tour and the whole of TSI.

"You will not tell your grandchildren you spent a week’s pay to see a megalomaniac thirty years past his prime"

- actually there's some around these parts that consider the shows might be historic.

"Give a street-punk a mansion and he’s not a punk anymore, he’s just another boring rich asshole"

- there's some hipster 'I only like the early stuff' mythology there - cos Axl is rich he can't write a new good song?

"You waited seventeen long years for Chinese Democracy, and what did you get for it? You got fucking Chinese Democracy, man."

- Personally I like CD, but even for those that don't - I'm sure most people would enjoy CD with Slash and Duff added which doesn't fit his argument.

"After all, if it’s not good enough for Izzy Stradlin’, why would it be good enough for you?"

- Because Izzy left when he was forced to become an employee, not because he stopped thinking Axl and Slash sound good together. Based on his refusal to go in VR because he can't deal with VR any more and basically his nomadic existence these days I don't think he's really a barometer on what will be good or bad. He's more like a guy living after stress - I wouldn't say he's had a breakdown or anything but I don't think he's interested in any normal life anymore either.

He's a guy who wrote some great songs, started getting screwed in his own band - was over the drug scene anyway and starting to relapse so took a walk. He's cool that he hasn't sold out in some way to the machine and gone on to write pop or something...it's not like he has no charm but I think it gets blown out of perspective that without him Axl and Slash are void.....

To my ears, if you took the basis of the CD songs and added Slash/Duff arrangements and writing input you would basically have something akin to UYI3, likewise if you look most Slash songs and got Axl to develop them his way you would have UYI rockers and maybe the odd AFD sounding song.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

What the hell are we bitching about today?

Hedonic adaptation.

After so many years, we get Axl, Slash and Duff.
After the initial rush, it's Izzy or bust.

After Izzy guesting, it's new music.
A never-ending cycle of demands.

Each acquiescence creates a new stipulation.
It's impossible for Axl to win everyone over.

I must say I do feel Axl is a bit wronged in terms of people not legitimising this reunion. I mean it's a band with Axl, Slash and Duff. The reality as far as we know is that Izzy does not want to come back to GNR other than perhaps casually on occasion. At the end of the day what should Axl and Slash do? Retire because Izzy wants to go cart or whatever?

I get that people are fans of him and wish he was in. But he doesn't want to be. And it's odd to me that people arn't excited by the idea of them writing together cosidering how many "almost GNR if only for" songs exist in the catalogue.

Then again.....in terms of "An endless cycle of demands"...many of these are pretty reasonable requests from fans.....I mean Axl has at least an album done from many accounts...people like DJ go on about the great songs they heard in private. Meanwhile it's alleged they have hundreds of hours of kickass tour footage of stuff like the 09 tour let alone the UYI tours. I know Axl doesn't seem to like it but I don't think it's unreasonable for fans of the band to want the band to actually do stuff when they have these types of things lying around.....

Then again I sometimes wonder what people will make of new stuff if they get it. Will those who find Anastasia bland and TWAT self indulgent really like a new song written by the two? This will sound crazy but I think we over rate sections of the back catalogue. Obviously some of those songs are non-disputed by history as classics....and I like all GNR...but the way people hate all the projects after....when a lot of those riffs arn't that different to GNR riffs....

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Who cares what Izzy decides. I don't consider the 92-93 time period to be GN'R except for those 93 shows when Izzy came back. But even then it wasn't the real deal because they didn't create any new music.

Jump to 4:10 and retype "That isn't GN'R, it's just not good enough" axl9221duff

At 4:10 I don't see Izzy. So must not be GNR... Haha that is killer! Thanks for posting AxlS. I am happy we got the 3 back together and I think we get some surprises soon!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I hope Adler shows up and we have 4/5 AFD on stage and all the Izzy fans can eat a dick because he chose not to be part of it. My hope is Izzy comes back and does a set at the Vegas shows each night with the AFD 5. And then let Frank play Chinese and Matt do UYI. Let everyone be happy IF POSSIBLE.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I'd love to see that - let Adler do like PC or Rocket Queen or something each night cos it's cruel to leave him out. Then the full time drumming can be shared by Matt and Frank with frank handing later era songs.

I personally think we'll at least see a guest from Izzy but that Richard is the understudy for the shows where he doesn't come.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Then again.....in terms of "An endless cycle of demands"...many of these are pretty reasonable requests from fans.....I mean Axl has at least an album done from many accounts...people like DJ go on about the great songs they heard in private. Meanwhile it's alleged they have hundreds of hours of kickass tour footage of stuff like the 09 tour let alone the UYI tours. I know Axl doesn't seem to like it but I don't think it's unreasonable for fans of the band to want the band to actually do stuff when they have these types of things lying around.....

Yes they are reasonable requests(to varying degrees) but the elephant in the room is the second album languishing in the vault.

IF TB have stepped up their game and are going to treat this new chapter as a real band, that second album needs to be addressed, even if just aiming the statement at hardcore fans. If its been permanently shelved, just admit it and fans will easily and quickly drop the subject.  If there are some plans of using bits of that material in the future, let people know that something cool is on the horizon.

How the status of that album is handled in 2016 is going to tell us a lot about what is fueling this reunion. They can easily make it go away which is scary for longtime, hardcore fans but on the other side of the coin it can still be in play to a certain degree.

Different people want different things and some of it is unrealistic. The 01 HOB DVD for starters....not happening. That 09-14 vault of tour footage/rehearsals.....no one but about a hundred nerds and a couple thousand girls who wet their panties over Ashba have interest in that stuff. GNR/TB have already covered that 09-14 nostalgia act base with that DVD. Coffin nailed shut on that era.
Then there's tour footage/rehearsals from the 01-02 era. Again...not happening. Ship sailed on that era and even hardcore Bucket fans stopped wanting that stuff and I'm sure Bri can back me up on that. The Bucket forums even gave up on that stuff years ago. Any mention of that infamous 2002 VMA rehearsal brings laughter now when years ago they'd have shit their pants at the thought.

Everyone but me(and maybe Jimmy) laugh at the SG comparisons for some reason but I'm really hoping this goes in that direction. Soundgarden had been away for too long(pun intended), and that first year was about reintroducing the public to the band. Yeah GNR had technically been around diluting the product during the Chinese years but they're in a near similar boat. The public now knows they are back. Like SG, new merch is going to be pushed to the moon and hopefully that 'reintroduction' along with shows starts off with a new 2 disc GH set with something new to appease hardcore fans and let the world immediately know its not ALL about nostalgia. The next step SG took after shows, GH set & new song was the 'Live on I5' album which was selected songs from different shows from their last tour, including a limited edition EP of sound checks released on Record Store Day.

The next year saw the Avengers soundtrack single Live to Rise and the new album.

The way that reunion played out is why I am giving them a "free pass" so to speak on a new album in 2016. The world at large has not been waiting for CD II like us hardcore fans have,  which is a very small percentage of the fan base as a whole. They cannot market a reunion of this scale towards 1-2 thousand people tops salivating for an album recorded in 2001. We can still get that album or certain tracks from it in some form but I'm certainly not expecting the album we call CD II this year.

IMO we will get something released this year but it wont be that.

I get that people are fans of him and wish he was in. But he doesn't want to be. And it's odd to me that people arn't excited by the idea of them writing together cosidering how many "almost GNR if only for" songs exist in the catalogue.

I'm one of the people that was straddling the fence on the no Izzy=no GNR issue but softened on it completely because like you and others have said, the guy cant be forced to do it. If he wanted to be included but they said no, I would definitely be pissed. Other than that, fans need to respect his desire to not be involved on a grand scale.

I'm certainly excited regarding ANY writing these guys might be doing. I'm all in on the subject of reworking Chinese vault tracks but if they actually want to do something brand new, even better. Those Chinese songs(lyrically) are likely to cover the same ground as CD...Slash, old band's implosion, Steph, Erin, and even fans. Even though so much time has transpired, the CD sessions are a very brief snapshot of his state of mind at the time. In 2016 maybe he doesn't feel like releasing material covering those topics again and also take into consideration his mind must be in a different place now.   I don't think he's boiling Slash's bunnies anymore. Some of that material may stay in the vault for that very reason. Hopefully there are some lyrical masterpieces like CITR left that have nothing to do with any of that animosity and cover entirely different themes.

- actually there's some around these parts that consider the shows might be historic.

The entire planet will view it as historic.....at least in the opening phase.

- there's some hipster 'I only like the early stuff' mythology there - cos Axl is rich he can't write a new good song?

Someone named Chris Cornell laughs at such nonsense.

Board footer