You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Thread

James wrote:

He no longer has a chance. He did at one point but he crossed too many lines. He refused to allow his handlers to do anything with him. Even Hitler needed people to handle him and keep him in check while he was aiming for Chancellor yet Trump thought HE didn't? That's some ego he's got.

An outsider has to run up the middle at some point and be a pragmatist. Every damn history book and common sense would tell him this....yet he never did it.

He's crazy and not presidential material. I would've gladly gave him my protest vote but....I'm not THAT crazy.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I've been saying all along its not gonna be close, and with Trump's lead shrinking in places like Texas, Georgia and Utah, it could be ugly.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Hilary is such a liar. What a fuckinf joke. Trump is an idiot and Hilary may be the devil.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Still think Trump can take this. The polls have been telling us he can't win since he started his campaign. The media has been telling us that. They said he wouldn't even get the nomination.

Well, he did. And Hillary fucking Clinton is still his opponent. All he has to do is convince people he'll be better than her. Even for a mad man that is feasible.

Debates will be decisive imo. No way Hillary will come out looking good from those.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Still think Trump can take this. The polls have been telling us he can't win since he started his campaign. The media has been telling us that. They said he wouldn't even get the nomination.

Well, he did. And Hillary fucking Clinton is still his opponent. All he has to do is convince people he'll be better than her. Even for a mad man that is feasible.

Debates will be decisive imo. No way Hillary will come out looking good from those.

Once the primaries were underway, Trump has consistently matched or beaten the polls though. So while you're right that no one in the media give him a chance way back when, I do think he's been in the public eye enough (both of them) for the general populace to have a decent enough idea of who they are and what they stand for to make the polls somewhat accurate.

Of course, there's no accounting for what will happen over the next couple of months, people are fickle...

But, having said that, my money's on Hillary: Trump wasn't even able to convince half of the republican voters in the primaries, and due to his polarizing nature is bound to have alienated more republican voters than I suspect Hillary has democrats. I guess in the land of the blind the one-eyed man truly is king, even if that man is a woman.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
TheMole wrote:

But, having said that, my money's on Hillary: Trump wasn't even able to convince half of the republican voters in the primaries, and due to his polarizing nature is bound to have alienated more republican voters than I suspect Hillary has democrats. I guess in the land of the blind the one-eyed man truly is king, even if that man is a woman.

I won't say there's zero chance of Trump being elected but the odds are low.  When stuff like this comes out on a daily/weekly basis, he's pretty close to unelectable and a blowhard.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow … continues/

Also, the electoral college math isn't in his favor.  Clinton has far more leeway and combination of states to get 270 than Trump does.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I'd agree with half of what you're saying. The media was in dismay pretty much the entire time. They couldn't believe the polling data, which showed Trump consistently whipping the rest of the GOP candidates. Also the last few cycles we've seen outliers take the lead early on (Bachman, Carson, Perry etc) only to collapse shortly after. I also though Trump would follow the same trajectory.

So the media was wrong by dismissing the polls, but the data itself was correct. The talking heads have a job to do, air space to fill up, and ads to sell. I try to ignore the noise (and it's about to get a lot more noisier) and solely look at data. Of course people dismiss polling numbers as well, but I generally do not.

I have always thought debates meant something, or imagined they would be some make/break point in an election. I'm not so sure they are any more. I think the internet and cable news may have diluted the heft of the debate format. As for this one, I don't think Donald has enough discipline to be an effective debater against Hillary in the long haul. Yes he'll get his soundbites for the 24/7 news cycle. But Hillary is smart as a whip, and actually has a great sense of humor. Hate her or not (not saying you specifically, but whoever) she should not be underestimated in that setting. She sat all day long dealing with that Benghazi panel, and came out the winner. Republican leaders begrudgingly admitted this when it was all said and done.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Cramer wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

So the media was wrong by dismissing the polls, but the data itself was correct. The talking heads have a job to do, air space to fill up, and ads to sell. I try to ignore the noise (and it's about to get a lot more noisier) and solely look at data. Of course people dismiss polling numbers as well, but I generally do not.

Historically, the July polling numbers accurately predict the election's outcome. Most June polls do as well. Voters have mostly decided by now.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I am back to thinking Trump can win.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Board footer