You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Thread

bigbri wrote:

I think anyone would have a hard time convincing African-Americans they are on a level playing field when you have U.S. lawmakers at the national level with views like this.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Is what he said not true?  I'm not one to take pride in the actions of other people, but western ( European ) culture and in turn American culture has done more to progress this world than any other.  I mean, Africans hadn't even invented the wheel when Europeans found them. Native Americans didn't have a written language until the 17th or 18th century.

Colonization is what brought the rest of the world into the modern era.  If you had to name the 5 most important people or their inventions in the past 1000 years, can you name one person who isn't white?

Notice I'm talking about what King actually said and not that blurb in your attached image.

Is there a single African nation today where your average person is 1/10th as secure and comfortable as your average black in America?

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Is what he said not true?  I'm not one to take pride in the actions of other people, but western ( European ) culture and in turn American culture has done more to progress this world than any other.  I mean, Africans hadn't even invented the wheel when Europeans found them. Native Americans didn't have a written language until the 17th or 18th century.

Colonization is what brought the rest of the world into the modern era.  If you had to name the 5 most important people or their inventions in the past 1000 years, can you name one person who isn't white?

Notice I'm talking about what King actually said and not that blurb in your attached image.

Is there a single African nation today where your average person is 1/10th as secure and comfortable as your average black in America?

Really?

Well, civilization itself actually started in Mesopotamia, so there's a good place to begin.

And from the story ...

"Arabic and Middle Eastern inventors and scientists brought astronomy to the world, which in turn aided innovations in navigation. Critical innovations in mathematics and architecture originated in the same area. The Chinese contributed philosophical precepts and early monetary systems, among other things. The specific inventions that were created outside of the Western world are too many to list: the seismograph, the umbrella, gunpowder, stirrups, the compass.

Oh, and, of course, the non-Western world gave us the numeric system that will be used to tally up the delegates to make Trump the nominee of King's party."

Western civilization probably would not even exist in its current form without non-Western influence.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

At any rate, Day 1 of the GOP convention was a mess, and any argument otherwise is pure spin. Today should be about what an incredible speech Melania gave, instead we have all this other stuff. Someone will be fired today for that speech, and that itself will be an admission of what occurred.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Really?

Well, civilization itself actually started in Mesopotamia, so there's a good place to begin.

And from the story ...

"Arabic and Middle Eastern inventors and scientists brought astronomy to the world, which in turn aided innovations in navigation. Critical innovations in mathematics and architecture originated in the same area. The Chinese contributed philosophical precepts and early monetary systems, among other things. The specific inventions that were created outside of the Western world are too many to list: the seismograph, the umbrella, gunpowder, stirrups, the compass.

Oh, and, of course, the non-Western world gave us the numeric system that will be used to tally up the delegates to make Trump the nominee of King's party."

Western civilization probably would not even exist in its current form without non-Western influence.

You're right. I forgot no one could look at the stars before the Chinese. Listen to yourself. It's not like the west didn't have math. Just because we use Arabic numbers now doesn't mean there weren't other symbols for counting. Gun powder is the only contribution of note, and again, let's talk about the past thousand years.

Chinese philosophy was a joke and the Greeks had much more impact than anyone. But keep trying to avoid the issue and explain how the printing press, calculus, automobiles, computers, air travel, rockets, telephones, telegraphs, radios, television, satellites, trains, electricity, western medicine and the Internet are are all eclipsed by these grand inventions outside of Europe and America.

Without the West Africa would still be a collection of tribes, south Anericans would be sacrificing to their sun gods, Australia would have aborigines dawning war paint, Japan would have samurai China would still be nothing more than a trade stop.

That you can't acknowledge the importance and dominance of western culture really says something. But anything to get offended over.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

It's nice you drop in every 4 years to educate us.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Asia and the middle-east would beg to differ...

The white inventor argument is one of the oldest and most debunked arguments ever. What have non-whites ever contributed to society? How about algebra, tea, universities, the toothbrush, surgery, hospitals, coffee, optics, the guitar, astronomy, paper currency, gunpowder, printing, the compass, paper, cast iron, ink, terracotta, ...

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

This is a no win discussion. Anything short of enabling makes you a racist.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

You're right. I forgot no one could look at the stars before the Chinese. Listen to yourself. It's not like the west didn't have math. Just because we use Arabic numbers now doesn't mean there weren't other symbols for counting. Gun powder is the only contribution of note, and again, let's talk about the past thousand years.

Chinese philosophy was a joke and the Greeks had much more impact than anyone. But keep trying to avoid the issue and explain how the printing press, calculus, automobiles, computers, air travel, rockets, telephones, telegraphs, radios, television, satellites, trains, electricity, western medicine and the Internet are are all eclipsed by these grand inventions outside of Europe and America.

Without the West Africa would still be a collection of tribes, south Anericans would be sacrificing to their sun gods, Australia would have aborigines dawning war paint, Japan would have samurai China would still be nothing more than a trade stop.

That you can't acknowledge the importance and dominance of western culture really says something. But anything to get offended over.

Come on man, you know better than this. You're turning the argument upside down. No one is saying Western civilization hasn't made major contributions. Of course it has more so than other cultures, that's easy to objectively demonstrate. But saying or acknowledging that is a far cray from claiming that no other civilization has ever done anything noteworthy (which is what King is saying). It's extremely distasteful and a sign of weakness to downplay the achievements of others to feel better about yourself, and that's exactly what King was doing here. More importantly, he's using it as an excuse to justify lesser treatment of non-whites.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The most important region/empire of all time is Italy and the Roman Empire. Pretty much all modern day civilization can trace back to Italy and the Roman Empire. The US Government is based off of Rome. The amount of artists and inventors from Italy is insane!  Rome took what the Greeks created to the next level. Still today many things from Italy are still considered the "best".

There are many of fine people that contributed to our world. We all know this. But with out Rome the modern world looks much, much different.

Board footer