You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'm just going to say it, a radical revolution will never happen. Never.

In the long run I think it has to. Maybe not this election, but some time.

Thing as they currently are, are not sustainable in the long term future.

One way or another there is going to have to be some change and a reestablishment of the middle-class or some other type of redistribution of wealth more broadly or things will eventually entirely collapse into chaos.

Monkey, from what you tell me the wealth gap may even be greater in Australia!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Monkey, from what you tell me the wealth gap may even be greater in Australia!

I'm not sure don't have any figures on that. It might not be because your richest are super rich compared to the size of our economy in general. Like I think the market cap of our whole stock exchange is less than the top few wall street players.

However, one thing is certain around here, for the first time in our history this generation does not have a higher quality of life than our parents.

Australia's obsession with using property for wealth creation and investment rather than shelter has caused a housing boom where my peers are having to move 100+ km away from the suburbs they grew up in just to buy a house. Since 1970 wages have trippled but houses have gone up 10 times - so it's proportionally much harder to own a home than other generations.

Add to that the casualisation of the workforce - putting everyone on temporary contracts with no job security and it's pretty bleak for most people I know at the moment.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

In the long run I think it has to. Maybe not this election, but some time.

Thing as they currently are, are not sustainable in the long term future.

One way or another there is going to have to be some change and a reestablishment of the middle-class or some other type of redistribution of wealth more broadly or things will eventually entirely collapse into chaos.

Not really, there are a lot of ways to correct things without doing anything radical.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Sanders sunk any chance of it anyway when he dismissed the south, along with Tim Robbins. Even if it happened, and he filled the Senate and Congress with left wingers and they passed everything he wanted, unemployment will rise, taxes will rise, the cost of living will rise, the economy will sink, and that's all coming from Sanders who says that it will all be worth it later on... Unfortunately, in four years a republican will walk in and run on all of those radical things, undo allof them and take over.

Sanders has been in politics his entire adult life. He's been in Washington for over thirty years. He is the establishment.

Trump will torch him on his commie ties and Castro praise. He will destroy him on taxes. On the debt. Giving the IRS more power. On the economy, etc.

No matter what Trump says, the election will be won on kitchen table politics and people will vote for the guy who wants to build an imaginary wall, over the guy who wants to raise your taxes.

How do we know this exactly? How do we know that the economy will sink, taxes get higher....etc? I kinda always thought what he meant was something more like how things were in the 1950s. Under Eisenhower....I think you can do a lot by stopping people from hiding money across the world. How many billions is enough?

I dunno...I don't know if the U.S. deserves to survive. Not in its current form anyway. If this is really the best the world can do...I think I'm disappointed.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Not really, there are a lot of ways to correct things without doing anything radical.

Yes but is anyone wise enough to do them? Looks like right before the french revolution out there.

misterID

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Yes but is anyone wise enough to do them? Looks like right before the french revolution out there.

Not even close. If anyone is that cynical about how fragile and corrupt our government is, giving them more power and more money isn't exactly the smart way to go. Despite the doom and gloom the country has done pretty damn well post Bush.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Not even close. If anyone is that cynical about how fragile and corrupt our government is, giving them more power and more money isn't exactly the smart way to go. Despite the doom and gloom the country has done pretty damn well post Bush.

But we are running on credit right now and a huge economy... But I worry we are becoming like the UK and just offer a service industry as manufacturing etc has all but left for overseas/mexico.  What do we make here anymore some may say.  So we have a huge economy based off servicing each other, but at some point I want to see us as producers again...

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Sanders sunk any chance of it anyway when he dismissed the south, along with Tim Robbins. Even if it happened, and he filled the Senate and Congress with left wingers and they passed everything he wanted, unemployment will rise, taxes will rise, the cost of living will rise, the economy will sink, and that's all coming from Sanders who says that it will all be worth it later on... Unfortunately, in four years a republican will walk in and run on all of those radical things, undo allof them and take over.

Sanders has been in politics his entire adult life. He's been in Washington for over thirty years. He is the establishment.

Trump will torch him on his commie ties and Castro praise. He will destroy him on taxes. On the debt. Giving the IRS more power. On the economy, etc.

No matter what Trump says, the election will be won on kitchen table politics and people will vote for the guy who wants to build an imaginary wall, over the guy who wants to raise your taxes.

How do we know this exactly? How do we know that the economy will sink, taxes get higher....etc? I kinda always thought what he meant was something more like how things were in the 1950s. Under Eisenhower....I think you can do a lot by stopping people from hiding money across the world. How many billions is enough?

I dunno...I don't know if the U.S. deserves to survive. Not in its current form anyway. If this is really the best the world can do...I think I'm disappointed.

Because Bernie said so. That's what will happen. You raise taxes, raise wages, expand the government to take over the healthcare industry and universities and control the free market, there will be consequences. To offset those things, the private sector will raise prices of goods, will lay off employees, cut hours, taxes will rise to pay for healthcare, tuitions and typical government spending, not to mention the expansion of the IRS.

Asked by a reporter whether his platform — which calls for such things as guaranteed vacation time and paid sick leave for workers — will increase the cost of hiring employees and ultimately lead to higher unemployment, the Vermont senator conceded that “nothing happens which is 100 percent positive.”

“Anytime you make a change, you’re right, there are ramifications on that change,” Sanders said. “Nothing happens which is 100 percent positive. But, I think given the fact that the United States is the only major country on earth, or the only major economy that does not have guaranteed vacation time, sick leave or parental leave, I think we have got to address that. So, yes, there may be some repercussions there.”

Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders has proposed $15.3 trillion in tax increases, according to a new report, and would raise rates on virtually everyone, including the politically all-important middle class.

Sanders wants tax hikes to pay for a raft of new government benefits, including health care for everyone, free college tuition, paid family and medical leave, and increased infrastructure spending.
There is a risk that Sanders’s tax increases won’t be enough to cover all the additional spending, worsening the government’s already dire long-term budget outlook, the TPC said, though it didn’t examine that question in detail. Nor did it examine whether, for some taxpayers, the value of Sanders’s new government benefits would outstrip the cost of his tax increases.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

But we are running on credit right now and a huge economy... But I worry we are becoming like the UK and just offer a service industry as manufacturing etc has all but left for overseas/mexico.  What do we make here anymore some may say.  So we have a huge economy based off servicing each other, but at some point I want to see us as producers again...

I hate to tell you, manufacturing went up too. It can get better.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

I hate to tell you, manufacturing went up too. It can get better.

Good! So much of 2008 was based on the housing collapse. Need to make sure that doesn't happen again. Housing is the most important industry we have to keep an eye on. One house impacts so many industries. If it goes, the economy goes.

Board footer